Can Chan inspire like Marv?

Just watched an old DVR of "America's Game" on the 1990 Bills from the NFL Network... Great stuff and pulls at all the emotions... I thought I'd share the poem Marv quoted after the first loss:

“Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said

”A little I’m hurt but not yet slain.

”I’ll just lie down and bleed a while,

”And then I’ll rise and Fight again.”

GO BILLS!!! It's our time to turn this thing around...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might get me banned as a Bills fan, but Marv Levy is one of the most overrated head coaches of all time. He had the luxury of the greatest GM, supporting coaching team, and team of all-pros of all time. He was terribly outcoached in SBXXV and he is the sole reason we lost that game.

So, can Chan inspire Evan to become Reed? Can he inspire GIFF F'in SMITH to become Chuck Dickerson? Can he inspire Buddy Nix to become Bill Polian? Can he inspire...... well, you get the idea.

Who gives a shAt about inspiration? Chan's legacy will be determined by whether he can develop a current or future QB. Marv's BS quote about talent without character is laughable now. Without talent, character and inspiration don't mean squat. Thanx in no short order to Marv's incompetence the Bills lost four SB's (all the inspiration in the world couldn't help Talley tackle anyone) and he is on the short list for worst GM tenures in history.

This might get me banned as a Bills fan, but Marv Levy is one of the most overrated head coaches of all time. He had the luxury of the greatest GM, supporting coaching team, and team of all-pros of all time. He was terribly outcoached in SBXXV and he is the sole reason we lost that game.

So, can Chan inspire Evan to become Reed? Can he inspire GIFF F'in SMITH to become Chuck Dickerson? Can he inspire Buddy Nix to become Bill Polian? Can he inspire...... well, you get the idea.

Amen brother. How did he fool the sportwriters to get into the HOF? Reed, Tasker, and maybe Hull should have all gotten in before he did.

OK, men, let's party all night BEFORE the Super Bowl!

If we get back here next year, let's party-til-we-puke again.

There's a game today? Oh, I don't feel so good coach!

That's right, Marv, treat them like men... and they will throw up on your shoes!

Amen brother. How did he fool the sportwriters to get into the HOF? Reed, Tasker, and maybe Hull should have all gotten in before he did.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I will say that Marv is smart... Harvard Masters Degree... That said, I hope our next coach has a !@#$ing GED in kicking ass. This philosophical **** doesn't fly in today's NFL

Wow, a lot of posts that have no clue about the importance of leadership...

A great leader is one who wins. Not one who hides behind a cloak of brilliance and then gets outcoached by a guy who went to Wichita State. Being able to quote the greats, and having a masters from Harvard does not make one a great leader. Taking a group of superstars and making sure they are in their hotel room before 3:00am the night before the !@#$ing Super Bowl makes a good leader.

Bill Polian built that team. He handed Marv a !@#$ing gift.

And I'm sorry for cursing.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I will say that Marv is smart... Harvard Masters Degree... That said, I hope our next coach has a !@#$ing GED in kicking ass. This philosophical **** doesn't fly in today's NFL

Wasn't being sarcastic at all. I could care less about the fact Marv went to Harvard. Maybe if he went to Georgia or any other party school and drank during college he would know that playing a SB hungover is not conducive to winning.

Wasn't being sarcastic at all. I could care less about the fact Marv went to Harvard. Maybe if he went to Georgia or any other party school and drank during college he would know that playing a SB hungover is not conducive to winning.

Christ, I've woken up hungover and not known where my legs were. Can't blame a guy who partied in Southern California til 3:00am for misplacing his helmet.

I'm as upset as anyone that we lost the SBs, but how in the world can you say Marv didn't win???? This team was dominant - Dallas was better, we got out played against the Skins, and you know the rest.

It takes a true leader to turn talent into champions - albeit AFC Champions. Obviously you cannot win without talent, but talent alone won't do it. Especially in the NFL - the talent pool/speed etc is too great.

A true leader takes a team (or person/sales team/etc) to a place they wouldn't have gone on their own, and creating a culture of winning. Marv did that, and you have to imagine the challenge he had in keeping them focused to keep going back! Could you possible imagine how hard it is to keep 50 guys that fired up?! Why do you think the love him, quote him, etc to this day?

Give the man the respect he deserves!!!

I'm as upset as anyone that we lost the SBs, but how in the world can you say Marv didn't win???? This team was dominant - Dallas was better, we got out played against the Skins, and you know the rest.

It takes a true leader to turn talent into champions - albeit AFC Champions. Obviously you cannot win without talent, but talent alone won't do it. Especially in the NFL - the talent pool/speed etc is too great.

A true leader takes a team (or person/sales team/etc) to a place they wouldn't have gone on their own, and creating a culture of winning. Marv did that, and you have to imagine the challenge he had in keeping them focused to keep going back! Could you possible imagine how hard it is to keep 50 guys that fired up?! Why do you think the love him, quote him, etc to this day?

Give the man the respect he deserves!!!

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I just changed the filter on my central A/C. The used dirty one could have led that team to an AFC championship. Do you think Bruce Smith killed QBs because Marv quoted historic literature? I'm not knocking Bruce's intelligence, but he killed QBs because he was a !@#$ing Monster DE.

Do you think Bruce Smith killed QBs because Marv quoted historic literature? I'm not knocking Bruce's intelligence, but he killed QBs because he was a !@#$ing Monster DE.

Bruce showed up his rookie year 22 years old, overweight and with an attitude and had 6.5 sacks -- Marv went to work on him and the next years he had 15, 12, 11, 13 and 19.

Is it possible that Jim, Andre, and Thurman (all came to him as rookies) benefited from his leadership and development?

How many other teams have gone to 4 straight? Nothing to do with leadership? Are you sure you weren't just breathing in too many exhaust fumes from your AC before commenting on Marv?

Bruce showed up his rookie year 22 years old, overweight and with an attitude and had 6.5 sacks -- Marv went to work on him and the next years he had 15, 12, 11, 13 and 19.

Is it possible that Jim, Andre, and Thurman (all came to him as rookies) benefited from his leadership and development?

How many other teams have gone to 4 straight? Nothing to do with leadership? Are you sure you weren't just breathing in too many exhaust fumes from your AC before commenting on Marv?

I may have been.

But how did we get those guys as rookies? Bill !@#$ing Polian.

you draft 'em, I'll develop them, coach them, and lead them to multiple Super Bowls.. ya know if it was all the players and GM, why don't you blame them for losing instead of Marv?

here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkt2D7MFClI

I'm not even clicking on the link. I respect your opinion. Neither of us is going to change the others' mind.

World Championships in this day and age are not won without talent. This is true.

But to those that are, don't be dismissive of leadership. It can definitely be, at least, the tie breaker.

Great coaches (and many have never won a championship due to circumstances) consistently get their players to do more than they normally would.

Before the first Dallas Super Bowl, my friends and I were waiting in front of the TV like lambs before the slaughter. We were a bit snake bitten by the previous two SB losses and the marijuana had made us all a bit paranoid and skittish.

Our host, noting our fear and impending sense of doom, put a scene from Shakespeare's Henry V…the famous St Crispin Day's Speech, into the VCR.

I'm not a big Shakespeare fan…never studied him, too much of a reach for my tastes. Anyways, we all got sucked into the movie scene and by scene's end, we were ready to march to Pasadena and personally kick the Cowboys' asses. It was a compelling reminder of the power of words and their ability to inspire.

Some excerpts from the speech (this speech was based on an historical event, British soldiers in the 15th century, far from home, dwindling in numbers due to battle and dysentery, about to face a large and powerful French army, most expecting to die) King Henry tells his troops among other things that they will win glory if nothing else, that their feats will not be forgotten, that those back home will celebrate and remember them, and that they will share the honor of fighting, and perhaps dying together:

King Henry: If we are mark'd to die, we are enow

To do our country loss; and if to live,

The fewer men, the greater share of honour.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,

I am the most offending soul alive.

We would not die in that man's company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother

For those interested in watching the speech: