Troy Smith More than a Backup

PDaDdy

I am optimistic for the direction the team is going to be taking under Nix and Gailey but like any other realist I am deeply concerned about the LT and QB position. Our plan at LT is apparently to try to hit the lottery and turn another UDFA or 7th round pick into a probowl LT. Good luck with that. Really, good luck with that. I hope somebody steps up.

QB is even more or a gamble. I get that they want to give the guys they have a chance in a real system with real coaching but the cupboard looks pretty bare. Even if 1 of the three candidates can step up mentally I am not overly impressed with any of them physically. Brohm is probably the best thing we have from a physical perspective and might have the best of a group of mediocre arms.

That being said I just can't agree with Nix/Gailey about not bringing another to guy to compete at the QB position. I think we really screwed the pooch on Jason Campbell as he has already in an even worse situation in Washington outperformed the motley crue we have. Troy Smith is another guy that could come in to compete. What is the worst that could happen? He PROVES that he is better than the fodder we have. How could that be a bad thing? His team mates and seem to think that he is more than just a back up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ed-than-bulger/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am optimistic for the direction the team is going to be taking under Nix and Gailey but like any other realist I am deeply concerned about the LT and QB position. Our plan at LT is apparently to try to hit the lottery and turn another UDFA or 7th round pick into a probowl LT. Good luck with that. Really, good luck with that. I hope somebody steps up.

QB is even more or a gamble. I get that they want to give the guys they have a chance in a real system with real coaching but the cupboard looks pretty bare. Even if 1 of the three candidates can step up mentally I am not overly impressed with any of them physically. Brohm is probably the best thing we have from a physical perspective and might have the best of a group of mediocre arms.

That being said I just can't agree with Nix/Gailey about not bringing another to guy to compete at the QB position. I think we really screwed the pooch on Jason Campbell as he has already in an even worse situation in Washington outperformed the motley crue we have. Troy Smith is another guy that could come in to compete. What is the worst that could happen? He PROVES that he is better than the fodder we have. How could that be a bad thing? His team mates and seem to think that he is more than just a back up.

give it up. Smith is not the answer and this team isnt going to be moronic enough to give up stuff just to let him "compete".

Good post and and I agree with everything you said. Except, I am not high on Smith.

give it up. Smith is not the answer and this team isnt going to be moronic enough to give up stuff just to let him "compete".

What would he have to "give up"? Troy Smith was a 3rd round pick and is "currently a backup". Another poster said this in a completely unrelated thread but fans are always so concerned what we would need to give up in the way off draft picks and consider them to be more valuable than gold...UNTIL THEY SEE THE GUY WE USE THE PICK ON. For the lottery mentality crowd they think that our 3rd round pick could be the next super star to set the league on fire and is too valuable to give up.

How we should really look at it is is the player we are getting worth what we would potentially get in the draft. I would be ecstatic if we could get a guy of that quality with the NFL experience in the 3rd round in the 2011 draft. That is just one scenario.

How about THIS scenario!?!?!?!?!

WE TRADE DONTE WHITNER FOR TROY SMITH STRAIGHT UP!!!!!!!!

Did anyone notice that Ed Reed by his own admission is at 35% and is likely to begin the season on the PUP list? Let's also not forget that Ed Reed has a bunch of miles on him and he is very injury prone. Donte Whitner might be a perfect answer for the Ravens at safety to fill in for Reed in the short term and eventually replace him. How is that for a win win scenario? Well...that is...unless you are in love with Donte Whitner and the stellar level of play he has exhibited on this team. Maybe the Ravens and their defense could get him playing like the 1st round pick he is.

Coy Wire, Ashton Youboty, Chris Ellis.

Those are the types of players we draft in the third round. I dont even want to know the quality of players we get in the 4th, 5th, and so on.

I would trade Youboty AND Ellis for Smith - esentially 2 third round picks.

So is a 5th too much for a starting QB?

NO ITS NOT

What would he have to "give up"? Troy Smith was a 3rd round pick and is "currently a backup". Another poster said this in a completely unrelated thread but fans are always so concerned what we would need to give up in the way off draft picks and consider them to be more valuable than gold...UNTIL THEY SEE THE GUY WE USE THE PICK ON. For the lottery mentality crowd they think that our 3rd round pick could be the next super star to set the league on fire and is too valuable to give up.

How we should really look at it is is the player we are getting worth what we would potentially get in the draft. I would be ecstatic if we could get a guy of that quality with the NFL experience in the 3rd round in the 2011 draft. That is just one scenario.

How about THIS scenario!?!?!?!?!

WE TRADE DONTE WHITNER FOR TROY SMITH STRAIGHT UP!!!!!!!!

Did anyone notice that Ed Reed by his own admission is at 35% and is likely to begin the season on the PUP list? Let's also not forget that Ed Reed has a bunch of miles on him and he is very injury prone. Donte Whitner might be a perfect answer for the Ravens at safety to fill in for Reed in the short term and eventually replace him. How is that for a win win scenario? Well...that is...unless you are in love with Donte Whitner and the stellar level of play he has exhibited on this team. Maybe the Ravens and their defense could get him playing like the 1st round pick he is.

Troy Smith was a fifth round pick, not a third rounder. And why on earth would you give up a third rounder for a guy who is about to be cut?? And where is this "quality NFL experience"?? He has two career starts.

People might take you more seriously if you knew what you were talking about. They also might take you more seriously if you didn't spell your name with rOtAtInG CaPs.

Can you provide a viable alternative?

Campbell has been no more consistent than what we have in our stable. His record in Washington is pretty similar to our guys. So why would he be an upgrade. If Troy smith was so ready to be a starter, then wouldn't other QB needy teams have jumped on it too.

Coy Wire, Ashton Youboty, Chris Ellis.

Those are the types of players we draft in the third round. I dont even want to know the quality of players we get in the 4th, 5th, and so on.

I would trade Youboty AND Ellis for Smith - esentially 2 third round picks.

So is a 5th too much for a starting QB?

NO ITS NOT

Exactly! You get it. I'm not saying this guy is the next Steve Young but he would provide great competition and potentially show up the bums we currently have at the position. To be clear it is obvious I am not and have never swung from Trent's family jewels. The guy has had 3 years to show exactly what he can't do! I would love to see Troy and Brohm duke it out for the starting job. Unfortunately this would mean that Ralph and the front office would actually have to admit that Trent was a mistake. Instead they keep giving him opportunity after opportunity to fail.

Troy Smith was a fifth round pick, not a third rounder. And why on earth would you give up a third rounder for a guy who is about to be cut?? And where is this "quality NFL experience"?? He has two career starts.

People might take you more seriously if you knew what you were talking about. They also might take you more seriously if you didn't spell your name with rOtAtInG CaPs.

Agreed...The buckeye backers are trolling this list.

Exactly! You get it.

Yeah, you get it Thoner...because you agree with him. :rolleyes:

I would love to see Troy and Brohm duke it out for the starting job. Unfortunately this would mean that Ralph and the front office would actually have to admit that Trent was a mistake. Instead they keep giving him opportunity after opportunity to fail.

Yeah, I'm sure Ralph's willing to let the franchise crumble rather than let a third rounder go down in flames. Your logic is flawless.

Ah yes, rotating caps automatically invalidate my opinion. OR...you could use your brain and see the merit of my statement. Lazy small minded people focus on insignificant things like that instead of engaging their brains and actually thinking.

Any-who...You are correct. Troy Smith was a 5th round pick so in theory WE WOULD HAVE TO GIVE UP EVEN LESS!!!! Thanks for strengthening my point :rolleyes: If you have been living under a rock Troy Smith has been in the league going on his 4th year. NFL team. NFL training camp. NFL OTAs. NFL locker room. NFL film room and experience in the offense. NFL starts in preseason and regular season. So...ya...NFL experience.

Start using that big brain of your Leonidas, look outside the box and see the big picture.

P.S. Also you apparently have very little insight to the level of arrogance that people at this level posses. It would never be like any of us to never admit they are wrong ;) To be so arrogant as to think that they are always right and it is just a matter of finding the right system and coach to prove that they were right all along and Edwards is a star. You keep thinking that buddy. LOL

I too think they messed up by not upgrading at the QB position, but now it is a little too late most likely, as nothing out there is worth adding at this point, just weeks from training camp. Even if they did add a QB at this point, they would gain nothing at all by adding Troy Smith, other than a crappy attitude and another former college QB who hasn't been able to adapt to the NFL game. He would be no upgrade at all over any of the three veteran QBs we already have, so why would you add him?

isnt he a tad short?? i know brese is a 6 footerand i belive vick is also.why give up what we have for another "oh he is going to be a star" player.havent we gone down that road enough already. here,try this keep what we have, let chan and buddy and the rest of the coaching and conditioning staff work with these fairly young guys.i have a feeling we as fans will be pleasantly surprised :rolleyes:;)

Ah yes, rotating caps automatically invalidate my opinion. OR...you could use your brain and see the merit of my statement. Lazy small minded people focus on insignificant things like that instead of engaging their brains and actually thinking.

Any-who...You are correct. Troy Smith was a 5th round pick so in theory WE WOULD HAVE TO GIVE UP EVEN LESS!!!! Thanks for strengthening my point :rolleyes: If you have been living under a rock Troy Smith has been in the league going on his 4th year. NFL team. NFL training camp. NFL OTAs. NFL locker room. NFL film room and experience in the offense. NFL starts in preseason and regular season. So...ya...NFL experience.

Start using that big brain of your Leonidas, look outside the box and see the big picture.

None of that relates to NFL experience and success. If just being in NFL Camps and OTAs was all you needed, Gibran Hamden would be an All Pro by your standards.

Can you provide a viable alternative?

Sadly at this late stage of the game I don't know one to exist. That would have been a great question to ask me before the draft and all of the quality free agents dried up though :rolleyes:

Campbell has been no more consistent than what we have in our stable. His record in Washington is pretty similar to our guys. So why would he be an upgrade. If Troy smith was so ready to be a starter, then wouldn't other QB needy teams have jumped on it too.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with consistency. Campbell consistently threw more TDs. Campbell consistently stayed healthier. Campbell consistently threw with more velocity. Campbell consistently had more mobility. Campbell consistently showed willingness to play to win as opposed to playing it save and checking down to bolster useless completion stats. ETc...etc...etc.

What other QB needy teams are there that are anywhere near as bad off as Buffalo. This is a solution for Buffalo not for other teams. The Raiders are the only other team I could think of and they did the smart thing and got Campbell. Also this speaks to the point I made to Leonidas. How long did Al Davis try to prove himself right giving Russell every opportunity to succeed and losing a head coach in the process? The owners are arrogant successful bastards. They think they are always right until it becomes incredibly painfully obvious that they are wrong.

Go into an interview with a baseball cap on backwards, jeans, and a dirty t-shirt and tell me how important a first impression is. No matter how relevant your argument was - and fortunately, it wasn't - it would have suffered from a lack of credibility. Love it or hate it, it's the truth.

P.S. Also you apparently have very little insight to the level of arrogance that people at this level posses. It would never be like any of us to never admit they are wrong ;) To be so arrogant as to think that they are always right and it is just a matter of finding the right system and coach to prove that they were right all along and Edwards is a star. You keep thinking that buddy. LOL

Wait, so that "experience" you're talking about admittedly has little to do with actual game experience, but experience in the Ravens' OTA's and training camps? Really? That's what you're going with? If experience is what you're looking for, stay with Edwards and Fitzpatrick - they've each got more game experience than T. Smith has...by a longshot.

Agreed...The buckeye backers are trolling this list.

Nice shot in the dark but no dice buddy. I could care less about college ball. The only reason I know ANYTHING about it is NFL talent generally comes from the college ranks. I am admittedly NO expert about the college game nor do I have ANY team affiliation what so ever.

isnt he a tad short?? i know brese is a 6 footerand i belive vick is also.why give up what we have for another "oh he is going to be a star" player.havent we gone down that road enough already. here,try this keep what we have, let chan and buddy and the rest of the coaching and conditioning staff work with these fairly young guys.i have a feeling we as fans will be pleasantly surprised :rolleyes:;)

Nobody said Troy would be a star. Let's clear that up. I only think he would be great to add to come in to compete and would quite possibly be the best QB on the roster. Let's be honest Trent hasn't had a serious competitor in the going on 4 years he has been here. Despite that fact HE STILL GOT BENCHED!!!

Sadly at this late stage of the game I don't know one to exist. That would have been a great question to ask me before the draft and all of the quality free agents dried up though :rolleyes:

I would have liked to have brought in Campbell, especially knowing all along he was available for a fourth rounder. But they didn't. Now what? Troy Smith has proven nothing in this league, and "all the quality free agents" you mention...who are these? Marc Bulger? Please. There's a dearth of available talent at the position, sorry.

What other QB needy teams are there that are anywhere near as bad off as Buffalo. This is a solution for Buffalo not for other teams. The Raiders are the only other team I could think of and they did the smart thing and got Campbell. Also this speaks to the point I made to Leonidas. How long did Al Davis try to prove himself right giving Russell every opportunity to succeed and losing a head coach in the process? The owners are arrogant successful bastards. They think they are always right until it becomes incredibly painfully obvious that they are wrong.

Please. You're comparing Russell/Davis to Edwards/Wilson? Seriously?? Russell was a #1 overall pick, and he was Al's pick. Al fired Kiffin instead of firing Russell. I promise you not only did Wilson not know who Edwards was when they drafted him, but that he was likely asleep when they did so. Apples and oranges. !@#$ it, apples and Volkswagens. Completely different situations.