Norfolk VA to get 2011 UFL franchise...Bills connection

...The best and worst thing about Hampton Roads (aka 7 cities) is that ot consist of 7 cities! Its next to impossible to get all 7 to agree on anything!..

I love that part. It takes seven cities to agree to a tax hike and pork program. Love it that 7 cities prevent major tax and corruption sink holes.

Erie County Sewer Authority, Water Authority, NY Thruway Authority.. ring a bell?

There's a good chance that the UFL will fold after this season, making 2011 moot.

The UFL couldn't draw at all last year. The game I went to in Hartford had about 1,500 people in the stands, they announced over 5,000 then moved the team permanently there for 2010. The only reason the UFL has survived this long is they got a sweetheart TV deal. Unfortunately for them, it's a 2 year contract that I can't see being renewed at anywhere near the bucks the 1st one was. Last year they could afford to draw no fans & still survive, this year is the same. Next year is an entirely different financial situation. I'm predicting 2 seasons & a cloud of dust.

They have been talking about it down here for a few weeks, I live in the area and work in Norfolk. What they got was a "conditional approval" for a team, which they said on the news that it is approved as long as Norfolk meets some unnamed conditions. Knowing this area and the several different MLB, NBA, WNBA and a few other leagues that they have tried to bring here, that is easier said than done. They couldn't even make an Arena League 2 team work for more than a couple years with Bruce Smith and Kenny Easley owning it. Supposedly if the team comes here, Doug Williams will be the General Manager or whatever they will call him. This is the biggest metro area in the U.S. without a major team here, and there is many reasons why. I would like to see the UFL come here, but I will believe it when I see it, this area doesn't like to work well together. The road system can't handle more than a Triple A baseball game without the traffic getting backed up for miles. Not sure where they would play, this area won't build a new stadium, they have tried that several times. They could play at Harbor Park, where the triple A Tides play, but I wouldn't think it is big enough, it barely holds high school games when they play them there. This is a nice area to live in, but you have to travel to see real sports.

I love that part. It takes seven cities to agree to a tax hike and pork program. Love it that 7 cities prevent major tax and corruption sink holes.

Erie County Sewer Authority, Water Authority, NY Thruway Authority.. ring a bell?

Like I said its the best and worst part of living in Hampton Roads...this is one of the advantages! The downside though is projects such as light rail that are needed to connect all the cities and upper and lower peninsula to ease tunnell traffic get stiffled due to non-compliance. I take the good with the bad; even though it has flaws I can't think of many better places to live based on jobs, cost-of-living, and oceanfront access!

Norfolk/Hampton Roads is the largest metropolitan area in the USA without a major league sports team. Do they even have a usable stadium?

PTR

It'll be interesting! I lived in Va Beach for 9 years when I was in the military. One thing that I remember is that many people that live there maybe the majority are not originally from there. Some are just on a three or four year tour then they are gone somewhere else....alot of the sailors are in and out all the time. I don't see where they would sustain a professional franchise. It seems as everyone is from another place or going to another place shortly...Even though Jacksonville doesn't do to well in supporting the Jaguars franchise I think that Norfolk would even do a worse job at supporting a football team. I can't remember any significant football stadiums there and when I was there from '89-98 the college teams there didn't have sufficient stadiums even at their level. Maybe there were some changes made to ODU's and Norfolk's college fields, but I doubt they would sufficiently house a Pro football team. Well, then again this is the UFL that we are talking about!

Damn, I wish this league was in the spring. If it was, I'd seriously consider season tickets. I love it. Southern Virginia is seriously overlooked for pro sports. If you put a professional franchise somewhere off of I-64 between Richmond and the Tidewater area, it would thrive. So much money here, and it also has the population.

Move to the spring please.

:w00t:

A friend who worked for the PR firm handling the failed Rhinos bid told me that Southsiders aren't nearly as likely to cross the water for events as those from NN, Hampton and York Cty are to come Southside. For whatever the reason, the Peninsula is a million miles away to the average Southsider, myself included.

I think the best location would be Harbor Park; It's a top-notch facility, has plenty of parking, and is super-easy to get to for the majority of the civilian and military population (Bch, Norf, Ports, Ches).