WNY Government

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041202/1030271.asp

Selected quotes:

Giambra is surrounded by 24 appointed loyalists, one being his patronage czar just a few doors away. Together, Victor Getz and Giambra have more than 20 relatives on the county payroll earning a combined $900,000.

In the face of declining population, the Buffalo Niagara metropolitan area has added 5,900 local government and public school employees since 1993.

Giambra, in conversations about patronage, said that there is no rule that his appointees buy tickets to fund-raising events or work on his campaigns but that he hopes they would.

Jimmy Griffin, when told about Giambra's reference to his words on patronage, said: "He's hired more than I did, though."

Nepotism is looked as being a right in WNY. Before I moved away, I was astounded at the number of people (at the jobs I worked in WNY) that had relatives working under them....meaning they actually approved their pay increases, overtime, etc...Most "normal" companies have strict rules against any type of relatives in the same reporting structure...not Buffalo.

It's not just government where you see nepotism in WNY. There's a Fortune 100 company in Rochester, known for making copiers and headed by a female CEO, who has a Sr. VP reporting to her....who happens to be her brother.

In the group where I worked, the VP's secretary was the mother of the VP's son's girlfriend...the girlfriend AND the son were also hired ... nice people both of them and I remain friends to this day, but still....

Nothing new. I was offered a position with the Streets Department in 1967 (Frank Sedita's crowd) if I could cough up a hundred buck contribution for the Democratic Party. When I was a kid, I got paid by them in the 50's for running jugs of tap beer to the old green polling trailers, so they remembered me. :lol:

Nothing new. I was offered a position with the Streets Department in 1967 (Frank Sedita's crowd) if I could cough up a hundred buck contribution for the Democratic Party.  When I was a kid, I got paid by them in the 50's for running jugs of tap beer to the old green polling trailers, so they remembered me. :devil:

143027[/snapback]

You could have been the mayor by now.