Question about signing first rounders this year....

theesir

A big part of signing first rounders is the signing bonus and often these bonuses are paid over the first couple of years of the contract. I have to wonder how teams and agents are dealing with this when in all likelihood there will be no season next year.

How do you plan out a contract with no guarantee of a "year 2". Plus, it would seem to me that the teams have a lot of leverage here, because if a player holds out, the team could (if they are willing to not have the player... a big if) just tell the player, "fine, sit out the year".

What would the player do? Go back into the draft? Would there even be a draft next year if there is no season?

The player stands a chance of not playing (or getting paid) for 2 years.

What would the player do? Go back into the draft? Would there even be a draft next year if there is no season?

I don't know about the rest of the post, but there will be a draft next year, it will be the last thing that happens in the league year.

SSDD

A big part of signing first rounders is the signing bonus and often these bonuses are paid over the first couple of years of the contract. I have to wonder how teams and agents are dealing with this when in all likelihood there will be no season next year.

How do you plan out a contract with no guarantee of a "year 2". Plus, it would seem to me that the teams have a lot of leverage here, because if a player holds out, the team could (if they are willing to not have the player... a big if) just tell the player, "fine, sit out the year".

Its not baseball. The team owns the rights for the player. See Drew Henson, Jim Kelly, ect. Even more leverage for the team then.

Its not baseball. The team owns the rights for the player. See Drew Henson, Jim Kelly, ect. Even more leverage for the team then.

you do go back into the draft the following year unless you play professional sports during that year -- See AFL UFL, CFL, etc.... (see jim kelly)

if you just sit, you are eligible the following year.

I think that it is going to play a role in how quickly or slowly first rounders (especially those near the top) are signed. I think that agents are going to push for more upfront money knowing their client is likely not to get paid at all next year and the teams are going to play hardball.

Its just a hunch, but I think signings will be very slow.

Very interesting posit.

the good thing about taking a RB is, you can deal with a lengthy holdout.

RB isnt the hardest position to play. 8 holes, and maybe 8 routes too. more likely 4. 1 side to look for a blitz and i doubt they ask cj to pick that up

but that said, id like to see him on the team asap