positions to adress with draft & FA

ch19079

If you can get a 3rd rounder for an injured Henry, you're a master at baiting.

141840[/snapback]

you dont think he will be healthy by the end of the playoffs, march, or even april??? i say, if he had to, he could play befor the end of the regular season.

Kicker.  Cornerback.  Linebacker. O-Line.  Runningback.

141847[/snapback]

yeah, all that money on Posey for what??? how many sacks? how many times have we blitzed him? how many tackles? how many passes defended??

I think much depends on whom leaves via free agency next year. If Jonas is gone, we could be in need of an OT in a desperate way. Also, if Big Pat is a goner, we may need yet more help at DT.

Personally, I think Travis stays. We are unlikely to get a Day 1 pick for him. That being the case, we'd have to invest a Day 2 pick on a backup RB anyway -- and one that is not likely to be as good as Travis.

I know that some will argue that Traves DESERVES to go to a team where he can be the starter. IF so, then that team needs to offer us decent compensation, which isn't likely to happen. Recall that at one point last year the Browns were offered a 3rd rounder for James Jackson. They got greedy, turned it down, and wound up cutting Jackson anyway. Now he's a Packer.

Guest shane conlan
yeah, all that money on Posey for what??? how many sacks? how many times have we blitzed him? how many tackles? how many passes defended??

141852[/snapback]

you answer your own criticism... how many sack? how many times have we blitzed him?

if he always has outside containment he cant sack the qb.

i dont know why everyone wants to come down on posey, the guy can ball, he's ALWAYS in or around tackles even if the play goes away from him, he's good in coverage(for a LB). we have one of the best LB UNITS in the league, and our OLBs play VERY well for having mediocre DEs in front of them. Yeah, we could use some depth at any of the LB positions but i think we're good on starters. give the guy a break. he's solid out there. end of discussion

Guest shane conlan

and to answer the original question in terms of need i would say...

1. Offensive Line

2. Offensive Line

3. Kicker

4. CB/FS depending on how Baker develops, and if we put Vincent back there

5. Offensive Line

6. LB Depth

7. Offensive Line

8. Defensive Line

Only 4 major changes I'd like to see:

1. New K: We'll never go beyond the first round of the playoffs without a guy who can consistently kick within the 40yd-49yd range.

2. New LG: Ross Tucker and Lawrence Smith are nothing more than overachieving NFL backups. If we can find a real bulldozer for this position, watch McGahee's numbers skyrocket in 2005, because right now our running game has been struggling a bit on the left side.

3. New TE: I might be content with Campbell in 2005, but if there's a real gem in free agency or the draft, Tom & Tom need to go after that guy without hesitation. New Bledsoe = RJ, but New Bledsoe + Coates-type player = Old Bledsoe?

4. New FB: Same feelings for Shelton as I have for Campbell. New Bledsoe = RJ, but New Bledsoe + Gash-type player = Old Bledsoe?

Keep in mind that my recommendations are based on salary cap numbers as well as quality of play. That's why I think we should stick with Teague at C, play Vincent at FS, keep Bledsoe as starter or backup depending on Losman's improvement, and leave Posey at OLB. I'd leave the defense mostly as it is. We don't need to mortgage the future by paying for an All-Pro CB or DE when we're still somehow a top 5 Defense with the likes of McGee and Kelsay, 2 guys who have improved dramatically in only their second years. And Pat Williams, at his age, will come cheap ($1.25-1.75 million). Jennings, with his injury history, should also be affordable.