Doug Flutie Question

If you ever watch any historic NFL films about the 1985 draft, there were always discussions of how Ralph Wilson wanted to take him 1st overall, as opposed to Bruce Smith. If this were truly the case, why on earth would Bills have not drafted him with one of the other 14 picks that they had before he was finally drafted by the Pats* at pick 285?

I heard long ago that Ralph wanted Flutie in that draft as well, but I had thought it was said that by the time the draft came around that year, NFL owners were fully aware that the USFL was not going to be around much longer. It may very well be possible that the Bills were expecting Jim Kelly to be here soon since the team held the rights to him as a player. Using that logic the decision to go with filling other areas of need seems to fit, but who the hell knows whats going on at One Bills Drive.

Sometimes it seems like they have a guy in a draft room, tie a sock around his eyes, and spin him around. Once good and dizzy, they let him find his way to a dry erase board with a bunch of names scribbled all over it in no particular order. Then, BAM! we have ourselves a pick! Selecting at #8, the Bills select from Ohio State......

Yes, but the Bills still took Reich in Round 3, meaning they still wanted a QB... They could've easily taken Flutie with that pick.

If you ever watch any historic NFL films about the 1985 draft, there were always discussions of how Ralph Wilson wanted to take him 1st overall, as opposed to Bruce Smith. If this were truly the case, why on earth would Bills have not drafted him with one of the other 14 picks that they had before he was finally drafted by the Pats* at pick 285?

Just happened to check out the stadiumwall on my phone and noticed something about DF.

Flutie was drafted by the LA Rams in the 11th round. Flutie signed a 5-year deal with the NJ Generals before the 1985 draft, which killed his draft value. I think it's the biggest mistake Flutie made. If he would have waited for the NFL draft he could have made the decision about which league to go to. But Trump put the full court press on him to sign now or never.

I guess the feeling in the NFL was why waste a third-rounder on a guy that wasn't going to be available.

Although the NFL was expecting the USFL to fold, Flutie's draft status was not that high to begin with and he was rated as a third-rounder by some and higher by others.

I think the Bears gave the Rams a fifth rounder for Flutie and they might have also gave a conditional pick which ended up being a third round pick. The deal was made a couple of minutes before the trading deadline in 1986, which was in late October. McMahon was injured.

The Bears traded Flutie to the NE Pats during the NFL players strike in 1987. Flutie had to agree to cross the picket line. Something that Joe Montana also did.

A good source of info on Flutie's career can be found on SIVault.com.

Also: Art Modell of the Cleveland Browns wanted to draft Flutie No. 1 in the draft but the GM Ernie A. wanted Bernie Kosar.

Just happened to check out the stadiumwall on my phone and noticed something about DF.

Flutie was drafted by the LA Rams in the 11th round. Flutie signed a 5-year deal with the NJ Generals before the 1985 draft, which killed his draft value. I think it's the biggest mistake Flutie made. If he would have waited for the NFL draft he could have made the decision about which league to go to. But Trump put the full court press on him to sign now or never.

I guess the feeling in the NFL was why waste a third-rounder on a guy that wasn't going to be available.

Although the NFL was expecting the USFL to fold, Flutie's draft status was not that high to begin with and he was rated as a third-rounder by some and higher by others.

I think the Bears gave the Rams a fifth rounder for Flutie and they might have also gave a conditional pick which ended up being a third round pick. The deal was made a couple of minutes before the trading deadline in 1986, which was in late October. McMahon was injured.

The Bears traded Flutie to the NE Pats during the NFL players strike in 1987. Flutie had to agree to cross the picket line. Something that Joe Montana also did.

A good source of info on Flutie's career can be found on SIVault.com.

Also: Art Modell of the Cleveland Browns wanted to draft Flutie No. 1 in the draft but the GM Ernie A. wanted Bernie Kosar.

Thank you for shedding some light on the subject.

Actually, the story I always heard was that Flutie only signed with the Generals AFTER the Bills made it clear to him and his agent that he wouldn't be drafted with the #1 overall pick.

As for the reasoning behind the Bills doing what they did... compare it to this year with Tebow. Like Tebow, Flutie already had a fanatical following, so acquiring him would have generated additional ticket and jersey sales. However, the "football" people realized that Bruce was the correct choice. In the final analysis someone convinced Ralph to make the smart football decision.

Actually, the story I always heard was that Flutie only signed with the Generals AFTER the Bills made it clear to him and his agent that he wouldn't be drafted with the #1 overall pick.

As for the reasoning behind the Bills doing what they did... compare it to this year with Tebow. Like Tebow, Flutie already had a fanatical following, so acquiring him would have generated additional ticket and jersey sales. However, the "football" people realized that Bruce was the correct choice. In the final analysis someone convinced Ralph to make the smart football decision.

I beleive that was GM Terry Bledsoe IRC.