Another reason I find baseball to be a little silly.

I can't imagine a QB going into the fourth quarter of a game without missing a pass and then getting pissed off because the CB's kept trying to force incompletions. That guy would be looked at like he had four chickens on his shoulders.

Or maybe a QB that lays down allowing a guy to set a sack record. You'd never see that in football.

Mike and Mike were talking about an unwritten rule in baseball today. Evidently the rule is that a player should never try to bunt onto base during a no hit game for a pitcher. :sick: It's disrespectful for the other team to try and win?! :wacko:

WTF?

If there is the possibiilty of getting a no-hitter - surely one of sport's great moments:

1) Flip your cap into rally position.

2) Don't look at the pitcher. This also goes for his teammates.

3) Get up to the plate, and get out quick lest your pitcher's arm goes cold.

3) Bunt poorly if it's in the 8th. You don't want an infield bloop to allow the opposition to give up a cheap on-base, because they don't want to get stuck with a no-hit game.

I witnessed this. A Pirate pitcher (Drabek) sat and sat against a game he carried into the top of the ninth against SD. Da*n Pirates batted around.

A fine, gutsy gamer player named John Cangelosi dove for a funny hop infield ball, but just couldn't get it.

Some football unwritten rules:

Please feel free to add your own.

And of course, #4 doesn't apply of you are the Pats*, Cowboys or Steelers.

oh, sorry, must have misread it.

why, is there some unwritten rule preventing that from happening?

jw

My apologies, too much coffee today.

There is no rule written or unwritten about you and Jack cohabitating in the same apartment. I just hope one of you is a neatnick.

Oh yeah, not bunting is rolling over. Nice strawman.

Nobody would ever suggest that the batter should intentionally try to make an out, but trying to collect a cheap hit instead of putting together an at-bat and trying to make solid contact IN A BLOWOUT for the sole purpose of ruining the guy's accomplishment is douchey.

Trying to get a man on base is trying to win. I don't care what the eff the pitcher has going. If bunts were so successful for getting on base you'd think the leadoff man in each inning would bunt every time. You try to win any way you can. Screw the opponent's records.

When Barry Bonds was going for the home run record teams still pitched around him. I guess they just should have lobbed one to him if the game was a blowout.

i question the logic behind unwritten rule 6, though i find much of these rules illegible at best.

jw

Kinda like your columns. :wacko:

This thread = another reason I find YOU to be silly! :sick:

:lol: Deal with it!

Here's an article from last week on the subject. Palmer, Blyleven & Gossage discuss the topic of Baseball's Unwritten Rules.

Is bunting to break up a no-hitter a violation of baseball's unwritten rules?

Palmer: "Heck, I did it in Little League against [a kid] because he was going to strike out 18 out of 18. I pitched a no-hitter and [the Orioles] scored eight runs, but it might be the appropriate play. It's part of the game. Plus, if a guy can bunt, I usually want my infielders playing in to defend the bunt anyway.''

Blyleven: "Your goal as a hitter is to get on. And if the third baseman is playing back and letting you lay down a bunt, I don't have a problem with that even if it's late in a no-hitter. Their goal is to try to win the game -- not to help a guy get a no-hitter.''

Gossage: "I never took offense to that. Nolan Ryan used to take offense to guys trying to bunt off him. Nolan used to give guys his so-called 'bow tie.' I just figured it's part of a hitter's job. And I was a guy you could bunt on, because I couldn't field anything on the third-base side.

"Usually a no-hitter is a tight ballgame, and they're trying to beat you. You need baserunners, and I can't blame the opposition for trying to get on base. If the game is out of reach, then it's a different story. I would take offense to that. I'd drill the SOB. 'If you want to get on base, here, I'll put you on base.'''

'Nuff said.

Or how about the "that's close enough" phantom touching of second base when trying to complete a double play. second baseman catches the ball,(doesn't really touch second) and tosses it to first for a double play. :)

Or how about crossing the mound on the way back to 1st base like A Rod did a few days ago!!