afternoon practice report in from Chris Brown

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...65-73e321ef1c01

Afternoon playmakers

Brian Brohm dialed up a deep ball down the far sideline early in 7-on-7 hitting Felton Huggins in stride for a 40-yard pass play.

Huggins also made a reception in stride on a well-timed play with Brohm later in that same series.

Joe Klopfenstein and Jonathan Stupar were again frequent targets of Brohm in the afternoon session. The best of their receptions was when Klopfenstein split the safeties down the middle of the field for a big gain.

Marcus Easley continues to make plays. The fourth-round pick had a few more catches in the afternoon including a nice hands catch late on a pass from Brohm that was outside his body frame.

During one-on-ones earlier in practice, Easley gave a shoulder fake inside and got outside of his cover man Leodis McKelvin down the sideline for what would’ve been a long touchdown under normal game conditions.

C.J. Spiller made the most of a dump off from Brohm. With the blitz bearing down on him, Brohm dumped it off and Spiller got through a closing hole quickly to gain positive yardage up field.

Late in practice Brohm had a well-executed bootleg pass to Steve Johnson right along the sideline for first down yardage, that drew praise from head coach Chan Gailey.

From the sound of it, Brohm is having a decent camp, and Gailey seems to be utilizing the entire field when dialing up pass plays. Seeing reports of tight ends going down the seam to catch passes makes me think that the guy at the controls might actually know what he's doing. Haven't seen those reports in a Bills summary for years. Hopefully, Gailey really can revitalize the offense in an effective way. Getting the TEs involved would be a nice start, especially Nelson, who really seems to be a good target over the middle at 6'5".

Afternoon playmakers

Brian Brohm dialed up a deep ball down the far sideline early in 7-on-7 hitting Felton Huggins in stride for a 40-yard pass play.

Huggins also made a reception in stride on a well-timed play with Brohm later in that same series.

Joe Klopfenstein and Jonathan Stupar were again frequent targets of Brohm in the afternoon session. The best of their receptions was when Klopfenstein split the safeties down the middle of the field for a big gain.

Marcus Easley continues to make plays. The fourth-round pick had a few more catches in the afternoon including a nice hands catch late on a pass from Brohm that was outside his body frame.

During one-on-ones earlier in practice, Easley gave a shoulder fake inside and got outside of his cover man Leodis McKelvin down the sideline for what would've been a long touchdown under normal game conditions.

C.J. Spiller made the most of a dump off from Brohm. With the blitz bearing down on him, Brohm dumped it off and Spiller got through a closing hole quickly to gain positive yardage up field.

Late in practice Brohm had a well-executed bootleg pass to Steve Johnson right along the sideline for first down yardage, that drew praise from head coach Chan Gailey.

The best of their receptions was when (insert TE name here) split the safeties down the middle of the field for a big gain

Quoted for future reference. When was the last time you read this? Kelly-McKeller?

I forgot this was even an option in football..

Guest dog14787
From the sound of it, Brohm is having a decent camp, and Gailey seems to be utilizing the entire field when dialing up pass plays. Seeing reports of tight ends going down the seam to catch passes makes me think that the guy at the controls might actually know what he's doing. Haven't seen those reports in a Bills summary for years. Hopefully, Gailey really can revitalize the offense in an effective way. Getting the TEs involved would be a nice start, especially Nelson, who really seems to be a good target over the middle at 6'5".

It does sound like Brohm is having a real good camp and I totally agree on getting our TE's more involved, Stupar also shows signs of becoming a dependable target if he could just carry it over to game day.

Marcus Easley and of course CJ Spiller has me very excited :thumbsup:

Afternoon playmakers

During one-on-ones earlier in practice, Easley gave a shoulder fake inside and got outside of his cover man Leodis McKelvin down the sideline for what would’ve been a long touchdown under normal game conditions.

My favorites :thumbsup:

Meh,

Not impressed.

You want to impress a 40 year die hard fan such as myself?

Pick apart an opposing teams secondary in a real NFL game combined with utilizing the running game to open up the play action pass. Oh, and win the game.

I'm happy Easley looks good. Its only day 2, but it would be nice to get another steal in Rd 4.

That being said, I'm not sure how I fell about the fact that McKelvin got toasted by a rookie who has only played 1 full season of good football.

Guest dog14787
Video is up...looks pretty good, Brohm looked good and so did some of our young pass catchers...

linky

Brohm shows good touch on the ball when needed and throws a nice spiral, I like his trajectory and he drops a ball in real nice to his receivers.

Brohm shows good touch on the ball when needed and throws a nice spiral. I like the his trajectory and he drops a ball in real nice to his receivers.

Completely agree. Granted there is only a small bit of video to make those judgments by and they are the highlights, BUT, that long ball to Huggins down the right side line, in stride, was a heck of a throw and that ball seemed to be coming straight down into his hands. Like what I'm seeing so far.

Also, I thought I heard Chris Brown say that Steve Johnson caught a "slant" pass from Brohm. It's been so long since I heard that term in reference to a Bills passing play I almost forgot what it looked like. Had to watch that section of film twice to make sure I had seen it right.

Brohm shows good touch on the ball when needed and throws a nice spiral, I like his trajectory and he drops a ball in real nice to his receivers.

this was the story on Brohm coming out. Played in pro style offense, good touch, strong enogh arm, accurate, pro size - 230 now, prolific passer. He had a bad experience in green bay so what. it appears Gailey, et al want him to suceed here and I believe he will. He'll only get better w/ more reps. wish Wood was out there now.

also where is Maybin?!?! anyone know if he is even there?

this was the story on Brohm coming out. Played in pro style offense, good touch, strong enogh arm, accurate, pro size - 230 now, prolific passer. He had a bad experience in green bay so what. it appears Gailey, et al want him to suceed here and I believe he will. He'll only get better w/ more reps. wish Wood was out there now.

also where is Maybin?!?! anyone know if he is even there?

He's there. Check out the usual TSW bashing of our young players on the wall with the Maybin thread title. I think Brohm was a bit disheartened when he was selected by Green Bay. The guy was a four year starter, and wanted to go somewhere he knew he had a chance to start. In Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers was the anointed replacement for Favre and was never going to be ousted. Brohm had to know he was being selected to be a career backup, and maybe get four or five years to start if and when Rodgers eventually retired, assuming he didn't pull another Favre and play til forty.

Now, Brohm sees an opportunity to become a starter in the NFL and really seems to be motivated. I think all of those good characteristics are starting to come out. I get this sense that Gailey must have really liked what he saw of the kid on film and wants him to get his shot. I would not be at all surprised if Brohm is our starting QB by the end of training camp, with the job being his to lose in the pre-season. That would not surprise me at all, and frankly, would probably be the best situation for this team in the long run, particularly if he can develop even into a slightly above average QB.

He's there. Check out the usual TSW bashing of our young players on the wall with the Maybin thread title. I think Brohm was a bit disheartened when he was selected by Green Bay. The guy was a four year starter, and wanted to go somewhere he knew he had a chance to start. In Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers was the anointed replacement for Favre and was never going to be ousted. Brohm had to know he was being selected to be a career backup, and maybe get four or five years to start if and when Rodgers eventually retired, assuming he didn't pull another Favre and play til forty.

Now, Brohm sees an opportunity to become a starter in the NFL and really seems to be motivated. I think all of those good characteristics are starting to come out. I get this sense that Gailey must have really liked what he saw of the kid on film and wants him to get his shot. I would not be at all surprised if Brohm is our starting QB by the end of training camp, with the job being his to lose in the pre-season. That would not surprise me at all, and frankly, would probably be the best situation for this team in the long run, particularly if he can develop even into a slightly above average QB.

completely agree with your assessment. I watched almost all of Brohm's college games and prayed the Bills would draft him. I never understood why GB did and in his interviews he just says it was a tough spot but he knows he can start here and wants to.

also, thanks I just read the another thread about Maybin now so yeah it's alarming that he is getting 2nd team reps. I suspect Nix et al doesn't think too highly of the one year wonder

Call me crazy, but both of those QBs seeemed to be going through their progressions, making a decision, and getting the ball out pretty quickly. And yes, I know it's not even training camp yet, but both those guys seemed very confident and decisive with the ball in these drills. And I don't know what it is about Brown...I just have a...feelin'.

I'm happy Easley looks good. Its only day 2, but it would be nice to get another steal in Rd 4.

That being said, I'm not sure how I fell about the fact that McKelvin got toasted by a rookie who has only played 1 full season of good football.

McKelvin scares me.

:beer: