HOF'er Robin Roberts dies

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5167653

I was part of an extended family with Robin Roberts for the last 20 years. He was an extraordinary man deeply loved by all his family. Now he's with his lovely wife Mary who passed a few years ago.

Many, many times he would sit with his sons and I, and he would tell great stories of when he was in the Majors. He had a really good sense of humor, always a smile on his face. A truly good ball buster too. I'll miss him.

I'll be going to the services. God Speed my friend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5167653

I was part of an extended family with Robin Roberts for the last 20 years. He was an extraordinary man deeply loved by all his family. Now he's with his lovely wife Mary who passed a few years ago.

Many, many times he would sit with his sons and I, and he would tell great stories of when he was in the Majors. He had a really good sense of humor, always a smile on his face. A truly good ball buster too. I'll miss him.

I'll be going to the services. God Speed my friend.

May he RIP

For my 30th birthday, my buddies bought me a bat with the autographs of all of the (then) Phillies HOFers:

Richie Ashburn

Steve Carlton

Robin Roberts

Mike Schmidt

I was looking at it yesterday when Jayson Werth hit that HR. Werth & Roberts are both originally from Springfield, IL.

/I'm sure it was just a coincidence

/Jim Bunning should have been there, too

Roberts had a season where he pitched 346 innings and had 31 complete games!!! Unbelievable!!!

If you tell a manager now at the start of the season that you would guarantee he'd have two starters who would accumulate 346 innings combined, he would take it in a heartbeat. They pray for 200 from a starter.

Roberts had a season where he pitched 346 innings and had 31 complete games!!! Unbelievable!!!

If you tell a manager now at the start of the season that you would guarantee he'd have two starters who would accumulate 346 innings combined, he would take it in a heartbeat. They pray for 200 from a starter.

Nice post. Just shows why he's a HOF'er

This is pretty big news for us here in Springfield, a town of about 115,000.

One article.

Another article.

There have been a few athletes make it 'big time' coming from this area, including a few that are active now:

Jayson Werth (MLB- Philadelphia Phillies)

Tim Wilkerson (NHRA Funny Car)

Justin Allgaier (NASCAR Nationwide Series)

Andre Iguodala (NBA- Philadelphia 76ers)