All Time Draft Busts (Updated Part III)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Flowers, John Parrella, Ronnie Harmon, Derrick burroughs, and Tony Hunter taken ahead of jim kelly

Parrella had a long productive career for the Chargers...he just wasn't a fit for the 3-4...more proof that, like with Maybin, teams need to bring in not only talent, but players that fit the team's scheme...like with Jeff Posey...had a monster year with the Texans 3-4 scheme but came to our 4-3 defense and was average on his best days because he didn't fit

Whitner's no bust...he's no way worth where we drafted him but he's a solid player

As far as Maybin, he's got 1 year in the league after a lengthy holdout...in a system that was ill-suited for him

well put philster - but now he has 1 year to prove that he deserves to be an nfl player - no more waiting . . . no more excuses for him i think

1) Walt Putuski #1 over all played 5 yrs

2) Al Cowlings #5 over all

3) Phil Dokes # 12 over all played 2 yrs

3) Mike williams # 4 over all played 3 yrs

4) Perry Tuttle # 19 overall

5) John mcCargo # 26 overall

6) Eric Flowers 2nd round

7) John parella # 55 overall

8) Tony Hunter # 12 over all

9) JP Losman # 22

10) Tom Cousineau #1 over all never played for the Bills even though we got the kelly pick, I think he should be on the list

11) Terry Miller 1978 # 5 Overall

12) Tom Rudd 1975 # 19 Overall

13) Roscoe Parrich 2005 # 55

my take on your busts:

ok 1) Walt Putuski #1 over all played 5 yrs

ok 2) Al Cowlings #5 over all

ok 3) Phil Dokes # 12 over all played 2 yrs

oh yes maybe even #1 3) Mike williams # 4 over all played 3 yrs

ok 4) Perry Tuttle # 19 overall

maybe just not a very good player - on the rim of a bust 5) John mcCargo # 26 overall

oh yes 6) Eric Flowers 2nd round

ok 7) John parella # 55 overall

ok 8) Tony Hunter # 12 over all

average qb when we need a stud but not a bust 9) JP Losman # 22

oh yes 10) Tom Cousineau #1 over all never played for the Bills even though we got the kelly pick, I think he should be on the list

ok 11) Terry Miller 1978 # 5 Overall

ok 12) Tom Rudd 1975 # 19 Overall

no way at all a bust - average receiver - one of nfl's best returners ever - no way a bust 13) Roscoe Parrich 2005 # 55

To be fair, Patulski and Cousineau told their sides of what happened with the Bills in my book: “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

The NFL’s Top Pick

Walt Patulski had a unique and, at times, a strained relationship with head coach Lou Saban. Both coming and going.

The NFL’s top draft choice in 1972, Patulski, a unanimous All-America defensive end at Notre Dame as a senior and the Lombardi Award winner as the nation’s top lineman, came to Buffalo the same year that Saban was back for his second stint with the organization, having guided the Bills to back-to-back AFL titles in 1964 and 1965.

"It was interesting. Lou really was responsible for drafting me, and he was also responsible for peddling me," says Patulski. "He gave me a fair shake. I don’t think his methods of operation were particularly effective with my temperament and demeanor. I think there was a little bit of conflict there. I had come from an environment with Ara Parseghian as a head coach that really left it in the hands of the defensive line coach, and he was like an overseer or a manager. Lou was more of hands-on, working more directly with some of the players. It wasn’t an effective strategy with me, so it was a little bit strained. He was clearly in a rebuilding program in what he was looking for. He was trying a lot of different things and had players coming in. A lot of veterans came in and were gone quickly. But he was fair."

It is also fair to say that Patulski did not enjoy the same level of gridiron success in Buffalo that he had experienced at Notre Dame. He did, however, have exceptional performances at times. An example: during a 24-17 victory in Baltimore on November 25, 1973, Patulski was credited with three pass deflections, five unassisted tackles, and two assists, and he sacked Colts quarterback Marty Domres, earning the NFL Defensive Player of the Week honor.

But after four seasons with the Bills, he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for their second-round draft choice in 1976, which Buffalo would use to select offensive tackle Joe Devlin from the University of Iowa.

"I got a call," Patulski said. "It was April Fool’s Day, and what was an omen, was the day before, Mike Kadish and I were playing Lou Saban and [assistant coach] Jim Ringo in pinochle, and we beat them soundly. I think Lou just got his revenge and traded me. I was disappointed, was very disappointed, because I had made a commitment to the area and it felt like the Bills hadn’t honored their commitment to me. They were certainly within their rights, but I was disappointed."

Trading the No. 1

Tom Cousineau, Buffalo’s and the league’s number one draft pick in 1979, never found his way to the team’s training camp at Niagara University. He instead headed north of the border to play for the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes. But in March of 1982, he bid au revoir to his Canadian team and returned home with the intention of playing in the NFL.

The Bills had retained the rights to the former Ohio State All-America linebacker during his CFL tenure and could have him on their roster by matching any contract offer an NFL team rendered him. And there were rumors that Buffalo planned to do just that. The Houston Oilers tested that speculation and signed him to a reported five-year, $3.5 million offer sheet which included a $1 million signing bonus.

The Bills matched it, only to then trade Cousineau to his hometown Cleveland Browns for their first-round draft choice in 1983, their third-round selection in 1984, and their fifth-round selection in 1985.

"The three years I was in Montreal, the company line out of the Buffalo front office was that if I was going to play in the NFL, I was going to wear a Buffalo uniform," said Cousineau. "We did our thing. We talked to a number of teams. We came out with what we feel is an excellent offer from the Houston Oilers. We signed a deal, the offer sheet was sent to the Bills, and then all of a sudden their stand wavers a bit. They don’t respond. At that point, I was pretty certain that something was going to happen. They were going to try to make a trade. The offer sheet was very simple. It was one page with about six lines, and they said that they had to analyze it. Well, I had given them more credit business-wise. To analyze something that was not very complex at all, I felt that they were looking for a way out of the situation, which they were.

"I didn’t speak to anybody from Buffalo. They never once called me during the time I was negotiating with other teams. What they wanted to do, basically, they said that they were going to match any offer that came down the pike, or across the table. I think they did that to scare people off, to intimidate them into not making an offer. Because what’s the use? Buffalo’s going to hit it anyway. Well, that wasn’t the case. I think that it got a little out of hand. They needed to talk with both myself and [my agent] Jimmy Walsh to come to terms. They couldn’t have made the deal themselves, and I think that’s where they made the mistake, with not talking to us and not trying to work things out."

Backtracking the three years to when he was initially drafted, did Cousineau even want things to be worked out and play for the Bills?

"I was very proud to be Buffalo’s number one pick in ’79," he said. "They let me know well in advance that they were going to draft me, and did I have any problems with that? I replied, ‘No,’ and that was the truth. The problem came when they offered me a very embarrassing contract. What made even less sense was when they didn’t sign me, they turned around and hired a man named Isiah Robertson. I don’t understand that! I think that my position was very well justified. It was pointed out even further with the Robertson deal."

my take on your busts:

ok 1) Walt Putuski #1 over all played 5 yrs

ok 2) Al Cowlings #5 over all

ok 3) Phil Dokes # 12 over all played 2 yrs

oh yes maybe even #1 3) Mike williams # 4 over all played 3 yrs

ok 4) Perry Tuttle # 19 overall

maybe just not a very good player - on the rim of a bust 5) John mcCargo # 26 overall

oh yes 6) Eric Flowers 2nd round

ok 7) John parella # 55 overall

ok 8) Tony Hunter # 12 over all

average qb when we need a stud but not a bust 9) JP Losman # 22

oh yes 10) Tom Cousineau #1 over all never played for the Bills even though we got the kelly pick, I think he should be on the list

ok 11) Terry Miller 1978 # 5 Overall

ok 12) Tom Rudd 1975 # 19 Overall

no way at all a bust - average receiver - one of nfl's best returners ever - no way a bust 13) Roscoe Parrich 2005 # 55

Any time your first round QB (Losman) is barely able to make an NFL roster, it's safe to label him a bust.

John Parrella was drafted in the second round, had a 12 year NFL career; including seven+ years as a starter. In his best year he had 7.5 sacks, which isn't too shabby for a defensive tackle! But only one of those years (the first) was spent with the Bills, due to some combination of them giving up on him too quickly and his not being a good fit for the system. If you're hinting that Parrella was not a good use of the Bills' second round pick you're correct. But if you believe he had a bust-like career, you're dead wrong.

Eric Flowers, John Parrella, Ronnie Harmon, Derrick burroughs, and Tony Hunter taken ahead of jim kelly

I remember Paul McGuire (at the time an ESPN draft guru) lamenting out loud to a national audience after the Ronnie Harmon pick "what do we need him for!!!" LOL

1) Walt Putuski #1 over all played 5 yrs

2) Al Cowlings #5 over all

3) Phil Dokes # 12 over all played 2 yrs

3) Mike williams # 4 over all played 3 yrs

4) Perry Tuttle # 19 overall

5) John mcCargo # 26 overall

6) Eric Flowers 2nd round

7) John parella # 55 overall

8) Tony Hunter # 12 over all

9) JP Losman # 22

10) Tom Cousineau #1 over all never played for the Bills even though we got the kelly pick, I think he should be on the list

11) Terry Miller 1978 # 5 Overall

12) Tom Rudd 1975 # 19 Overall

13) Roscoe Parrich 2005 # 55

Think Terry Miller should be ahead of even Mike Williams...number five overall? That's terrible. Perry Tuttle was pretty horrendous too. Great work though!!!

Any time your first round QB (Losman) is barely able to make an NFL roster, it's safe to label him a bust.

John Parrella was drafted in the second round, had a 12 year NFL career; including seven+ years as a starter. In his best year he had 7.5 sacks, which isn't too shabby for a defensive tackle! But only one of those years (the first) was spent with the Bills, due to some combination of them giving up on him too quickly and his not being a good fit for the system. If you're hinting that Parrella was not a good use of the Bills' second round pick you're correct. But if you believe he had a bust-like career, you're dead wrong.

Parella had a good career for San Diego. We gave up on him way too soon.

To be fair, Patulski and Cousineau told their sides of what happened with the Bills in my book: “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

The NFL’s Top Pick

Walt Patulski had a unique and, at times, a strained relationship with head coach Lou Saban. Both coming and going.

The NFL’s top draft choice in 1972, Patulski, a unanimous All-America defensive end at Notre Dame as a senior and the Lombardi Award winner as the nation’s top lineman, came to Buffalo the same year that Saban was back for his second stint with the organization, having guided the Bills to back-to-back AFL titles in 1964 and 1965.

"It was interesting. Lou really was responsible for drafting me, and he was also responsible for peddling me," says Patulski. "He gave me a fair shake. I don’t think his methods of operation were particularly effective with my temperament and demeanor. I think there was a little bit of conflict there. I had come from an environment with Ara Parseghian as a head coach that really left it in the hands of the defensive line coach, and he was like an overseer or a manager. Lou was more of hands-on, working more directly with some of the players. It wasn’t an effective strategy with me, so it was a little bit strained. He was clearly in a rebuilding program in what he was looking for. He was trying a lot of different things and had players coming in. A lot of veterans came in and were gone quickly. But he was fair."

It is also fair to say that Patulski did not enjoy the same level of gridiron success in Buffalo that he had experienced at Notre Dame. He did, however, have exceptional performances at times. An example: during a 24-17 victory in Baltimore on November 25, 1973, Patulski was credited with three pass deflections, five unassisted tackles, and two assists, and he sacked Colts quarterback Marty Domres, earning the NFL Defensive Player of the Week honor.

But after four seasons with the Bills, he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for their second-round draft choice in 1976, which Buffalo would use to select offensive tackle Joe Devlin from the University of Iowa.

"I got a call," Patulski said. "It was April Fool’s Day, and what was an omen, was the day before, Mike Kadish and I were playing Lou Saban and [assistant coach] Jim Ringo in pinochle, and we beat them soundly. I think Lou just got his revenge and traded me. I was disappointed, was very disappointed, because I had made a commitment to the area and it felt like the Bills hadn’t honored their commitment to me. They were certainly within their rights, but I was disappointed."

Trading the No. 1

Tom Cousineau, Buffalo’s and the league’s number one draft pick in 1979, never found his way to the team’s training camp at Niagara University. He instead headed north of the border to play for the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes. But in March of 1982, he bid au revoir to his Canadian team and returned home with the intention of playing in the NFL.

The Bills had retained the rights to the former Ohio State All-America linebacker during his CFL tenure and could have him on their roster by matching any contract offer an NFL team rendered him. And there were rumors that Buffalo planned to do just that. The Houston Oilers tested that speculation and signed him to a reported five-year, $3.5 million offer sheet which included a $1 million signing bonus.

The Bills matched it, only to then trade Cousineau to his hometown Cleveland Browns for their first-round draft choice in 1983, their third-round selection in 1984, and their fifth-round selection in 1985.

"The three years I was in Montreal, the company line out of the Buffalo front office was that if I was going to play in the NFL, I was going to wear a Buffalo uniform," said Cousineau. "We did our thing. We talked to a number of teams. We came out with what we feel is an excellent offer from the Houston Oilers. We signed a deal, the offer sheet was sent to the Bills, and then all of a sudden their stand wavers a bit. They don’t respond. At that point, I was pretty certain that something was going to happen. They were going to try to make a trade. The offer sheet was very simple. It was one page with about six lines, and they said that they had to analyze it. Well, I had given them more credit business-wise. To analyze something that was not very complex at all, I felt that they were looking for a way out of the situation, which they were.

"I didn’t speak to anybody from Buffalo. They never once called me during the time I was negotiating with other teams. What they wanted to do, basically, they said that they were going to match any offer that came down the pike, or across the table. I think they did that to scare people off, to intimidate them into not making an offer. Because what’s the use? Buffalo’s going to hit it anyway. Well, that wasn’t the case. I think that it got a little out of hand. They needed to talk with both myself and [my agent] Jimmy Walsh to come to terms. They couldn’t have made the deal themselves, and I think that’s where they made the mistake, with not talking to us and not trying to work things out."

Backtracking the three years to when he was initially drafted, did Cousineau even want things to be worked out and play for the Bills?

"I was very proud to be Buffalo’s number one pick in ’79," he said. "They let me know well in advance that they were going to draft me, and did I have any problems with that? I replied, ‘No,’ and that was the truth. The problem came when they offered me a very embarrassing contract. What made even less sense was when they didn’t sign me, they turned around and hired a man named Isiah Robertson. I don’t understand that! I think that my position was very well justified. It was pointed out even further with the Robertson deal."

That "man named Isiah Robertson" was 10 times better than Cousineau. Talk about selective memory ... he told reporters that he picked the Montreal in the CFL over the Bills because Montreal has better looking women than Buffalo. What a jerk that guy was.

Whitner's no bust...he's no way worth where we drafted him but he's a solid player

As far as Maybin, he's got 1 year in the league after a lengthy holdout...in a system that was ill-suited for him

and JP was never given a chance - right? <_<