Brandon Graham///Michigan///6-2///268

Perhaps the most aggressive and productive pass rusher in this year's draft class, he had 29 sacks, 55.5 tackles for loss and seven forced fumbles over his final three seasons. The only problem is his size, but he could be a great fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a Robert Mathis-type pass rusher for a 4-3 defense.

What round is he projected to go ? The guy just flat out makes plays!

Perhaps the most aggressive and productive pass rusher in this year's draft class, he had 29 sacks, 55.5 tackles for loss and seven forced fumbles over his final three seasons. The only problem is his size, but he could be a great fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a Robert Mathis-type pass rusher for a 4-3 defense.

What round is he projected to go ? The guy just flat out makes plays!

There's 3-4 of us on this board who have been championing Graham.

He's projected to go in the middle third of the first round (app. picks 10-20).

Love the guy. They say many of his sacks came in key situations. And he's very strong against the run. And he's played the left side which would enable Schobel/Maybin to remain on the right side.

For the life of me, i dont understand people and their fascination with size. Didnt bruce smith play for a while at 6'3" and 265? I thought he played pretty well at DE...in a 3-4 to boot.

Dwight Freeney plays pretty well at a "smaller size". As does the most recent NFL sack leader, Elvis Dumervil. I dont care what a guys Arm length is, or how long in the leg. CAN HE PLAY? Thats all that matters to me.

If Graham is the guy at 9, then I will support him.

In Buddy I trust....

History is littered with guys who were too small, too weak, too injured, or too whatever to succeed. And yet they did.

BTW- OP, dont take this as a attack against you or your opinion, i dont intend it as such. I just dont want to fall into the Al DAvis trap of taking the guy with the best numbers who NEVER produces on the field.

would be a good pickup in 3rd round.

I think Schobel would be on left, if he's playin in B-lo this yr. Maybin weak side for sure.

Yeah, Derrick Morgan would be a good pickup in the 3rd round too. So would Spiller, Berry, and Bryant. So would Okung and Trent Williams.

But in the real world, I haven't seen a mock draft where Graham goes beyond Atlanta at #19 except one mock that had him going to New England at #22.

For the life of me, i dont understand people and their fascination with size. Didnt bruce smith play for a while at 6'3" and 265? I thought he played pretty well at DE...in a 3-4 to boot.

Dwight Freeney plays pretty well at a "smaller size". As does the most recent NFL sack leader, Elvis Dumervil. I dont care what a guys Arm length is, or how long in the leg. CAN HE PLAY? Thats all that matters to me.

In Buddy I trust....

History is littered with guys who were too small, too weak, too injured, or too whatever to succeed. And yet they did.

BTW- OP, dont take this as a attack against you or your opinion, i dont intend it as such. I just dont want to fall into the Al DAvis trap of taking the guy with the best numbers who NEVER produces on the field.

Players like Freeney and Bruuuuuce are more the exception than the rule. It's like saying any CB can run 4.3 40s well into their 30s and even 40s since Darrell Green could do that.

That said, I love Graham's production (the # of plays behind the LOS is just freaky!!) and his ability. He flat out dominated during Senior Bowl week. Granted, many of the OTs he faced were better suited to play RT due to lack of great foot speed, but he still took on all comers and fared well.

In Buddy I trust....

Maybe we need more women on this board to break the size obsession and get back to the idea that what counts is what you do with it. :devil:

Players like Freeney and Bruuuuuce are more the exception than the rule. It's like saying any CB can run 4.3 40s well into their 30s and even 40s since Darrell Green could do that.

That said, I love Graham's production (the # of plays behind the LOS is just freaky!!) and his ability. He flat out dominated during Senior Bowl week. Granted, many of the OTs he faced were better suited to play RT due to lack of great foot speed, but he still took on all comers and fared well.

Ah! Number of reps, one of Buddy's favorite criteria! Take a look at the extensive (and consistently productive) college careers of our 2009 picks.

There's only one player we picked in 2009 without a ton of college experience/success... :devil:

Been on him for a while at number 9, but have sinced moved on. I feel he can make a big impact on our defense, but will not be the BEST player available. I think we will go with Rolando McClain. Although, I would love Graham, and dont care that he is a "reach" which is total bs. The guy is a player!

middle of the 1st round, he would be a trade down option, as would d. thomas of G. tech

As far as I can tell from the volumes of stuff I've read on the draft, the sole reason Derrick Morgan is rated higher than Brandon Graham is because Morgan is still viewed as a 4-3 DE by many scouts. There is almost an equal division of scouts who question whether Morgan can make the transition to 3-4 OLB and see his best position as a 4-3 end..

No such concerns surround Brandon Graham. He is viewed as a player who should make a seamless transition to rush backer. Graham is also seen as an excellent and very physical run defender. He would improve our run defense as well as our pass rush.

Of course it's a tricky business, even for experienced scouts, to make these sorts of projections.