Our Division

Marv Levy, Dick Jauron, and Mr. Smithers left this team in a tremendous hole. None of them were qualified to be in their former positions, and this roster demonstrates that.

In talking about the on-field product, every Bills fans should recall what's happening off the field. When people talk about rebuilding, one might assume there will be enough time to do it. Not so with the Bills, who will need 3 full seasons for a complete rebuild, assuming they have the HC and they find the players. That's where my demand for success now comes from. No one can say what's going to happen after 2012, whereas there are probably 29 teams (excluding JAC and MIN) that are certain to be in their current market in 3 seasons. Rebuilding would be somewhat acceptable if it weren't for this situation Buffalo finds itself in.

This perspective makes some sense, BillsVet. I can't give you an answer on what happens to the team over the next 5 years. I get more enjoyment as a fan, if I envision the Bills staying in Buffalo for the longterm. Whether that happens or not, you could make an argument that the actions of the team support both possibilities.

If you believe the team is staying in Buffalo, it's a full blown rebuild. The Nix plan makes sense if this is the case.

If you believe the team is leaving Buffalo, it's called not committing heavy resources towards a product that will be sold soon.

Personally, i think they are sticking around long enough for a traditional rebuild.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They haven't even got past #1 yet

they have a retired 70 year old scout working part time from his home in Tennessee now allegedly making the football decisions

and he has yet to beef up the scouting dept to more than the 6 scouts they have been relying on .

but not to worry, Modrak still runs college scouting on a part time basis from his home in Florida

but they bring in a pro scout from Pittsburgh to replace Guy- so the rapist QB could be on his way to Buffalo -

Bills fans will rejoice as they will have another criminal thug to keep Lynch company

Your committment towards nonsense and negativity makes you one of the weakest posters on the board. The complete lack of responses you get, should be a good indication of how interesting people find your schtick. Nothing wrong with being skeptical but you might get more enjoyment from this site if you back off the boring potshots. BillsVet is completely disgusted with the Bills but often gets involved in good interaction.

Reading this thread, some fans gave the Bills another 3 years merely because they hired a new GM and HC. It wasn't who they hired, but simply that they hired someone different than DJ and replaced Mr. Smithers with a guy who had actually worked around NFL personnel departments. Perish the thought.

The standard in Buffalo is low, and the front office keys on this. I mean, in most markets people would demand a winner and not a rebuilding after 10 years. The Bills know they don't need to win much next year, because some fans accept mere change as sufficient.

The front office isn't that much different either. Sure, Guy is gone, but Modrak is still the principal draft guy, along with VP of Football Jim Overdorf who most don't realize makes more decisions than he gets credit (blame) for. The point is, just making changes isn't enough. They must be the right changes, and history shows there aren't many coaches who are out of the HC job for a decade and succeed. Neither are there many 70 year old first time GM's. This wasn't a house-cleaning like many of us wanted, but a matter of rearranging some chairs.

And then there is the roster, which lacks an quality QB, is woefully thin at OT, lacks a true NT, has no proven pass rushing OLB's, and a #2 WR. That, and their backup RB will most likely be dealt for a late round pick. The coaching staff is extremely inexperienced, and the HC (despite having a heart attack a few years ago) believes he can handle the play-calling duties. I differ with many here when I say this is not an optimal situation.

Please tell me how you know this? It's just like when you people say Ralph is behind certain pics. I have never seen proof of any of that. granted, maybe ralph gives his blessing on pics,but we really don't know what role he plays in the draft process. To say overdorf makes more decisions than he gets credit or blame for is pure conjecture on your part and if you don't have proof of that being true, please leave it out of your argument.

and to the second highlighted part. other than Modrak how is this not a house cleaning? most of the coaches have changed, a 70 year old gm(I dont care if its his first gm job and hes 70-hes been around the nfl a vey long time and has a good football resume) . hiring Nix puts Brandon back at the job he belongs and leaves the football desicions to the football people(ok-so that is a shuffle.but a good shuffle). There have been plenty of good draft pics in Modraks time here, we don't know how much influence other people have had in our drafting,i.e. maybe it was jauron who pushed getting maybin so I am not as down on modrak as others. But i don't see this as shuffling of chairs. there are many new butts sitting in them chairs than last year and you guys need too relax and not want instant gratification. lets these guys do the job they were hired to do. At least let them put a team on the field before you declare we havent made enough changes for your liking.

We will all know just how they have done come draft day! It may take a little time to right the ship and wash off all those ugly barnacles, but I think we will know by mid season if the boat is gonna float or sink this year. Winning fixes everything...!!!

This perspective makes some sense, BillsVet. I can't give you an answer on what happens to the team over the next 5 years. I get more enjoyment as a fan, if I envision the Bills staying in Buffalo for the longterm. Whether that happens or not, you could make an argument that the actions of the team support both possibilities.

If you believe the team is staying in Buffalo, it's a full blown rebuild. The Nix plan makes sense if this is the case.

If you believe the team is leaving Buffalo, it's called not committing heavy resources towards a product that will be sold soon.

Personally, i think they are sticking around long enough for a traditional rebuild.

For me, it's hard to be a fan when the team you've supported for years can't tell you if they're is sticking around or not. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I can't get past the point that their future is cloudy at best. Discussing who the Bills may draft, current players, etcetera is nice, but the bigger picture is more prevalent than people care to admit. If they had good news, it would have been shared with their fan base who supports them beyond what most teams would receive.

This is a tough division with teams who unquestionably devote more resources and have better reputations than Buffalo does. For this reason, the Bills must climb Mount Everest and not a lesser mountain to get out of the basement in the AFCE. Aside from Oakland, no team in the NFL has a more challenging road to respectability.