Mid-Major Utah Makes BCS Over Unhappy Texas

Mark VI

The crime isn't Utah going to the Fiesta bowl, it's the Big East still having a automatic BCS bid, meaning undeserving BC or Pitt is going to the Fiesta bowl to play Utah. This is what screwed Texas out of their bigger payday. This obvious mistake should have been resolved, prior to the 2004 season. Miami and Va Tech left the conference after 2003. BC to follow after their upcoming bowl game. One year too late.

Texas has a case but getting pissed at Utah , maybe the most exciting offensive team in college, rings hollow outside of Lubbock. I still view Texas as a good team that CANNOT beat Oklahoma. I watched beat Texas A&M yesterday. I'd much rather watch Utah play. Texas will still play in the Cotton bowl and get a good payday.

John Cooper used to win 10 + games at Ohio St. most every year. In 13 tries against Michigan, he won twice. It always tainted all the good things he did all year, up until that game. Eventually cost him his job. Mack Brown is in the same boat. He must get a win against Oklahoma within the next couple of years to completely validate his program. Otherwise, few outside of Lubbock will take them seriously as a true National Championship contender and the BCS will ignore them. The polls will always see them as #2 or #3 in their conference and vote accordingly.

Brown better figure out a way to beat Oklahoma. You don't need to cry for respect when you beat your highly ranked arch-rival. Try beating Oklahoma and taking care of business yourself.

So, is it a crime in March Madness when teams from weak conferences or pull an upset in the conference championship are one of the 64 (65, actually) while another deserving team can get bumped out b/c of it?

The Big East is weaker than usual this year, thanks to depatures. Next year, several teams from Conference-USA are going to be joining, including Louisville which is in the middle of the Top 25.... UConn is up-and-coming.... Do they currently compete on the same level as the SEC or ACC? Probably not. But I also don't think it's fair to put them out of it b/c they don't play all of the powerhouses so they can get points in the BCS.

That said, I don't think it's fair for Texas to be relegated to no chance of a national championship with their record. And it all comes back to the BCS and a college football sponsorship relationship that they're addicted to like a crack ho. What's the solution? I'd actually like something similar to the basketball bracket with 32 teams, where each team just needs to do one thing -- win -- and they can't blame anyone if they don't. That system has its critics but a lot less than B©S. This, of course, will never happen b/c I don't think the Continental Tires of the world are going to want to sponsor a first round game. Or will they? And the feasibility is questionable. They can only play one game a week and there are only so many weeks, unless you favor extending the season to 16-17 weeks.

The whole BCS is a crock of stevestojan designed to do nothing but generate dollars. Nobody involved gives a rats ass if a 'real' champion is determined, as long as the TV money keeps pouring in.

However, Utah does deserves it more than Texas and the Big East obviously doesn't deserve any bid. They should either eliminate all the automatic BCS bids or put in a requirement that the automatic bid is only good if the team in question has at least ten wins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.