What Electric Guitar Should I Buy?

I used to play a lot in high school, and even gigged with a band for a few years. Spent a lot of time practicing and took plenty of lessons. Kind of jazz rock style. That was many moons ago and my beloved Strat is long since sold. I've recently decided to get back into it, at least at home.

Last week I went to a store thinking I'd get another Strat. Had my eye on the HSS America because I like the humbucker in the bridge position, but single coil for the others. Nice guitar but not maybe not enough sustain.

So I next tried a Les Paul Studio that had a maple top like a "real one." Terrific sound and much more playable versus the Strat for me as I have smallish hands (I later learned this is because it has a shorter scale neck ... something I'd never considered.) BUT $1,400 for a Les Paul Studio just seems steep to me.

So I next try a regular Studio, main difference is an all mahogany body (versus a maple top.) Just far too muddy and really not worth considering, even though it's around $800.

Now I'm at a point where I'll either suck it up and pay $2,000+ for a Les Paul Standard 2008 (which are incredibly sweet.) Or look for a far cheaper alternative.

Since I've been away from guitars for a while I'd really appreciate what others I should consider.

What I like is:

- great sustain

- solid body

- rosewood or ebony fingerboard

- humbucker at least in the bridge

- shorter scale (<25")

- not too crazy looking

- traditional "warm" sound

Thanks!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another you might want to consider is the PRS (Paul Reed Smith) Singlecut. Gibson sued PRS so they stopped making them for a while, but PRS won the lawsuit. I thought they would be out of your price range (many PRS guitars are north of $4K) but these seem to be reasonable:

http://www.amazon.com/PRS-Guitars-Singlecu...c/dp/B002LE8JQ0

Check this:

Nice call, definitely have to check it out. I understand PRS is right up with Gibson and Fender in quality.

I wonder why that one so inexpensive? Seems to have it all.

Only that might not work for me is the neck description of "Neck Shape: Wide Fat", given my smallish hands.

But definitely worthy of further exploration.

Nice call, definitely have to check it out. I understand PRS is right up with Gibson and Fender in quality.

Only that might not work for me is the neck description of "Neck Shape: Wide Fat", given my smallish hands.

Watch that video I added. It also shows off the PRS SE Custom, which may be more to your liking.

The PRS SE line guitars are made in Korea and lack some of the frills and visual appeal of the top of the line PRS axes. That's why they are more affordable. Saw a guy play one of these (SE Custom) last Saturday and the thing has tremendous sound.

Made in Korea

Dunno if this specs out right for you but holy crap this is one sweet looking guitar:

http://www.prsguitars.com/setorero/index.html

Just under $1,000 it seems.

Here's a vid for WideRight:

That sure is sweet looking. Negatives would be the scale and those pickups from what I know about them probably too "hot" for me.

I like the way they setup many of their guitars with the maple top ... night and day when I tried the Les Paul's w/ and w/o maple top.

I like the PRS's though ... thanks for the head's up. I could see myself with one of them potentially.

I swear up and down by the Fender Telecaster. Used to play a 1980 Les Paul standard...but was stolen out of my car in terre haute, IN. A town that can go straight to hell. Anyway I took the insurance money and went in another direction with the Tele. Amazing guitar with a beautiful warm tone.

I swear up and down by the Fender Telecaster. Used to play a 1980 Les Paul standard...but was stolen out of my car in terre haute, IN. A town that can go straight to hell. Anyway I took the insurance money and went in another direction with the Tele. Amazing guitar with a beautiful warm tone.

Telecasters are nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=deeBQZ...feature=related

I sold my Explorer and Les Paul standard. My SG (crescent moon fretboard, mmm) and Telecaster (standard sunburst) are all I'll ever need. I can't tell you which I prefer. I'm sure they'd work for you as well.

I sold my Explorer and Les Paul standard. My SG (crescent moon fretboard, mmm) and Telecaster (standard sunburst) are all I'll ever need. I can't tell you which I prefer. I'm sure they'd work for you as well.

Not enough sustain with the SG. Just not very versatile ... and also fairly pricey as well. Telecaster not enough sustain and a bit too "bright."