With the switch to a 3-4, a lot of holes to fill

jahnyc

Even without the switch to a 3-4 defense, the Bills had a lot of holes to fill. Now with the change in defense, we need a NT and at least one defensive end, particularly if Schobel retires and Maybin becomes an outside LB. We also will need at least one outside LB and maybe two, since I have no idea if Maybin will prove to be capable as an outside LB in a 3-4.

On offense, we clearly need a QB and, with the retirement of Butler, two tackles. We also will have needs at WR, unless Hardy can become the #2 and Johnson the slot receiver (which I doubt).

Although I do not expect that the Bills will be active in free agency, there is no way that the draft can fill the majority of these needs. Losing Butler and possibly Schobel to retirement, and the likely departures of Owens and Reed, have put the Bills in the position of having less talent now than at the beginning of last season.

The DTs from last season will become DEs in the 3-4. Stroud, Williams, and S. Johnson all have the size and skill set to be effective DEs in a 3-4.

The Bills have more OLB candidates than they know what to do with. All the DEs from last season, along with all the OLBs, are all competing for those spots.

The Buffalo News had an article today, where Gailey was explaining how they are going to adapt their schemes to fit the personnel they have available.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/02/25/9690...ers-to-new.html

Even without the switch to a 3-4 defense, the Bills had a lot of holes to fill. Now with the change in defense, we need a NT and at least one defensive end, particularly if Schobel retires and Maybin becomes an outside LB. We also will need at least one outside LB and maybe two, since I have no idea if Maybin will prove to be capable as an outside LB in a 3-4.

On offense, we clearly need a QB and, with the retirement of Butler, two tackles. We also will have needs at WR, unless Hardy can become the #2 and Johnson the slot receiver (which I doubt).

Although I do not expect that the Bills will be active in free agency, there is no way that the draft can fill the majority of these needs. Losing Butler and possibly Schobel to retirement, and the likely departures of Owens and Reed, have put the Bills in the position of having less talent now than at the beginning of last season.

Chan seems to think our personell actually fit a 3-4 better than a 4-3.

Is the loss of Butler a real concern, he didn't play much last year, and I thought Meredith played very well, even better considering he was a rookie. I also felt that Scott played well enough. At WR, one or two free agents (maybe a chambers) would be enough. On Defense the real concern isn't the DL, as I see it Williams could play the nose see Kelly Gregg and Jay Ratliff. Of course I would like to see an upgrade. But the real concern is MLB, Poz is fine, and a healthy Mitchell would be fine as well, but we lack depth there. I have faith in Schobel returning.

1-LT unless bradford falls

2-NT or MLB

3- NT or MLB

perfect

Sign Larry Foote

1-Davis or Bryan Bulaga

2-Terrence Cody or Thomas-even fat he takes up blockers

3-Eric Norwood-listed as a OLB, but could play MLB

4-Mike Neal-to play DE