Electrical Question

Astrobot

I've run into an anomaly while installing my dimmer switch. The two black wires are twisted together and attached to one terminal of the old dimmer. There is one RED wire attached to the other terminal. White wires are knotted together inside the box.

Before I go and hook my new one up the same way (the other one worked for 17+ years then stopped dimming, although the lights still turn on and off)...

I always thought that dimmer switches should have one black attached to each terminal. If so, what's the red wire?

Astro

I've run into an anomaly while installing my dimmer switch. The two black wires are twisted together and attached to one terminal of the old dimmer. There is one RED wire attached to the other terminal. White wires are knotted together inside the box.

Before I go and hook my new one up the same way (the other one worked for 17+ years then stopped dimming, although the lights still turn on and off)...

I always thought that dimmer switches should have one black attached to each terminal. If so, what's the red wire?

Astro

132590[/snapback]

Sounds like that box is part of a series.

I'm going to hook it up the way it was and ASSume that the electrical contractor who installed it knew what he/she was doing (what am I kidding, HE).

If I stop posting, check with the fire department...

Astro

132607[/snapback]

If the previous connections lasted 17 years without burning you down, why do you think the new switch installation is going to fry you?

If you are really worried, hire an electrician to come and visit...pretty simple. :lol:

As long as it's not a 3 way dimmer, hook it up exactly like the switch was hooked up.

the white wires inside the box are most likely the neutrals, which you don't need.

now the funny part about this is how excited I got when I read the title of the post -my first job out of college was with a dimming company. Great company, great products but not where I wanted to spend my career. I have dimmers everywhere, and my wife makes fun of me cause I talk way too much about them (like I'm doing now).

one last word - put a dimmer in your bathroom, best $14 you can spend. trust me.

Why? I like to read when I'm sitting on the can. I shave in the shower, too.

132663[/snapback]

Might be for those water saving showers where you light a couple candles.

Or, could be to prevent too hot a light from setting off a methane explosion.

132663[/snapback]

But great for a middle of the night or early morning visit to the can with out having to turn on the light while you're half (or more ) asleep and find yourself staring into the face of the sun. The dimmer in the bathroom is great. :lol:

Astro

132590[/snapback]

Red wire is always hot, just like black. It certainly sounds like it's part of a series. I would check the light that you are trying to control with the dimmer and see what is hooked up to it. My guess would be the red wire. I'd be interested in knowing if there were also any white wires were hooked up to.

But great for a middle of the night or early morning visit to the can with out having to turn on the light while you're half (or more ) asleep and find yourself staring into the face of the sun. The dimmer in the bathroom is great. :lol:

132670[/snapback]

That make sense. Who said I'm too old to learn? :lol:

Don't get me started on my dimmer sales pitch cincy - you'll regret it.

"how much do you spend on your family room? - $800 for a couch, $1000 for carpeting, furniture for a few thousands dollars....and what do you do for lighting control? A $.29 light switch that has been around for 90 years? How many choices does that give you - on and off? Would you ever buy a stereo with no volume control?........."

Don't get me started on my dimmer sales pitch cincy - you'll regret it.

"how much do you spend on your family room?  - $800 for a couch, $1000 for carpeting, furniture for a few thousands dollars....and what do you do for lighting control? A $.29 light switch that has been around for 90 years? How many choices does that give you - on and off? Would you ever buy a stereo with no volume control?........."

132752[/snapback]

The place I rented here in Alexandria has a dimmer in just about every room. Definitely well worth it, IMO. Kinda screws up the ceiling fan I put in the bedroom, but I'm no electrician either.

The neutral or ground wires are white the red wire should go to your light from the switch the black wire feeds the switch and the other black wire which is wired to the first one most likely goes to some other feed. Sometimes when there are two switchs running the lights the red will feed the other switch. I hope this helps I am not an electrician but have done some wiring.

The place I rented here in Alexandria has a dimmer in just about every room. Definitely well worth it, IMO. Kinda screws up the ceiling fan I put in the bedroom, but I'm no electrician either.

don't put a fan on a dimmer, you need an fan speed control (fsc).

rookie.

:P

don't put a fan on a dimmer, you need an fan speed control (fsc).

rookie.

:P

132841[/snapback]

I use what wires are there. If I want the fan, I just turn off the light. Works for me!

Of course, when I'm really bored I can play "feather the props" with my dimmer control.