We hired Stan Kwan? WTH?

cale

I am sure you are a better evaluator of who Bruce DeHaven should have as an assistant. You ought to march right down there and demand Cham Gailey's job.

+1 OK, so the guy couldn't cut it as a coordinator for the Lions (Who has?). That doesn't mean he can't offer some insight or bring something to the table in a lesser assistant capacity.

"Worst in the league" would suggest that the Lions' ST squads ranked in the 30s. They didn't.

punt ret: 16

ko ret: 26

punt cover: 18

ko cover: 20

Mediocre to be sure, although I'd note that they actually ranked ahead of Buffalo in punt returns. Guess the only thing I'd wonder is, how much of that was Kwan, and how much the Lions' depleted roster? For example, the defense DID rank 32nd in the just-completed season ... and as I noted in the preview for the preseason game, Matt Millen's abysmal drafting has set this franchise back for the better part of a decade:

How bad were Millen’s drafts? From 2002-06, the Lions selected a total of 39 players. Following Wednesday’s release of cornerback Keith Smith, weakside linebacker Ernie Sims is the only one still on the active roster. Think about that for a minute: ONE player left out of 39. (By comparison, the Bills still have 13 players from that five-year period, including seven projected starters.)

I am sure you are a better evaluator of who Bruce DeHaven should have as an assistant. You ought to march right down there and demand Cham Gailey's job.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I just disagreed with the hiring of a staff member who's been on one of the leagues worst teams in 12 seasons. Take a look at the rankings at Dallas Morning News. They've regressed every year in the last 4 years.

The last time they were in top 5 was 2004.

Just because I disagree with the hiring of a coach who has not distinguished himself recently, does not make me a heretic. I could throw darts on a wall and have better success than what the franchise has done recently. So get the hell off your high horse.

Any of the top 10 teams in the league probably has an assistant with better skills, ability and a track record that would give his left nut to work with DeHaven. That's not the issue. The issue is why did we hire a loser, when we have one of the most successful ST teams in the league?

BTW the teams actually did better under their previous coaches in Detroit prior to 2006. And have some talent in their special teams squad. If you had bothered to read the article I linked, you would know that. But you're obviously too busy being a homer to evaluate a staff hiring objectively based on recent results and performance.

Thanks very much,

C

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I just disagreed with the hiring of a staff member who's been on one of the leagues worst teams in 12 seasons. Take a look at the rankings at Dallas Morning News. They've regressed every year in the last 4 years.

The last time they were in top 5 was 2004.

Just because I disagree with the hiring of a coach who has not distinguished himself recently, does not make me a heretic. I could throw darts on a wall and have better success than what the franchise has done recently. So get the hell off your high horse.

Any of the top 10 teams in the league probably has an assistant with better skills, ability and a track record that would give his left nut to work with DeHaven. That's not the issue. The issue is why did we hire a loser, when we have one of the most successful ST teams in the league?

BTW the teams actually did better under their previous coaches in Detroit prior to 2006. And have some talent in their special teams squad. If you had bothered to read the article I linked, you would know that. But you're obviously too busy being a homer to evaluate a staff hiring objectively based on recent results and performance.

Thanks very much,

C

And being such a huge Detroit fan, you're doubtless familiar with the roster of players available for the STs, the amount of practice time the STs get in practices, the amount of freedom given to STs coaches and the other circumstances this guy finds himself in. Right? You're familiar with all that, right?

Well, DeHaven is.

And he is satisfied with this guy. Whereas some nobody from the Detroit boards isn't. Sorry, I just don't see the problem or the reason to place more emphasis on his opinion than DeHaven's.

Didn't you know this is one of those "love it or leave it" forums??? Every decision this organization makes turns to gold... :)

Nonetheless...with a name like "Kwan", I have to change the avatar... :)

Nice.

Didja hear that the guy who wants to buy the Rams is named Khan? I can just see an entire section of fans turning around to yell that at the owner's box after they lose a game ...

As for Kwan ... meh. I'll keep repeating my reaction to the other coaching/front office moves: fix the roster, and then we'll see what we have.

Good Lord we hired the worst ST coach in the league as an assistant? What the local junior JV ST coach wasn't available?

http://www.lionsgab.com/2009/11/01/stan-kw...o-lose-his-job/

Bobby April's special teams were putrid for the last couple years in St Louis before he came to Buffalo. Guess we should never had hired him. This is an ignorant post.

Good Lord we hired the worst ST coach in the league as an assistant? What the local junior JV ST coach wasn't available?

http://www.lionsgab.com/2009/11/01/stan-kw...o-lose-his-job/

Great "link". The writer appears to be nothing more then a repeat fan-contributor of a Lions blog, or perhaps a moderater of one. I googled his name, and suprise surprise: not a single site of him being a sports writer of any type of media outlet. And oh by the way, Bruce Dehaven was fired as the scape goat by Wade Phillips, ending his last tenure with the Bills. Lo and behold, he's back for a second stint and still as highly respected as he was before he got screwed by the "Music City Miraculous Forward Lateral". I have a feeling Kwan was more of a scapegoat trying his best on a horrible football team, where plenty of blame for poor coaching and worse playing can be passed around in Detroit.

I have no problem with someone calling my OP out on some kind of known fact. Lori listed what the rankings of the Detroit ST were the past year. Fair enough. At least that's based on fact.

DeHaven might have given his approval and hired Kwan himself or Kwan might have been hired by Gailey who is assembling the staff for all his units. Per the hiring of the defensive assistants prior to Edwards.

April was a well respected ST coach and assistant coach in the league prior to his hire. He had a strong record and I think the insiders knew what the real issues were in STL. Namely Martz.

But Kwan? C'mon. In his own words he fell short:

http://detnews.com/article/20100108/SPORTS...nator-Stan-Kwan

I'm with Buffalo Rally Monkey, you call into question any moves the organization makes and all of a sudden you're some kind of idiot. Cause obviously OBD knows so much better. So far it hasn't showed up on the field.

C

If Gailey had hired him INSTEAD of DeHaven, I'd be a lot unhappier. But as an assistant ... I repeat, meh. More concerned about the coaching staff's lack of experience on the offensive side of the ball.

And FAR more concerned about getting some starting-caliber OTS and OLBs in here ... and oh yeah, probably a NT and a QB or too, as well.

Didja hear that the guy who wants to buy the Rams is named Khan? I can just see an entire section of fans turning around to yell that at the owner's box after they lose a game ...

And he's going to sign Warner out of retirement, just so he can say "Ah, Kurt, my old friend...you're still aliiiiiiiiive..."

I'm telling you, the jokes just write themselves...

Great "link". The writer appears to be nothing more then a repeat fan-contributor of a Lions blog, or perhaps a moderater of one. I googled his name, and suprise surprise: not a single site of him being a sports writer of any type of media outlet. And oh by the way, Bruce Dehaven was fired as the scape goat by Wade Phillips, ending his last tenure with the Bills. Lo and behold, he's back for a second stint and still as highly respected as he was before he got screwed by the "Music City Miraculous Forward Lateral". I have a feeling Kwan was more of a scapegoat trying his best on a horrible football team, where plenty of blame for poor coaching and worse playing can be passed around in Detroit.

Lol...maybe we should change the name of the team to the Buffalo Scapegoats then!

If Gailey had hired him INSTEAD of DeHaven, I'd be a lot unhappier. But as an assistant ... I repeat, meh. More concerned about the coaching staff's lack of experience on the offensive side of the ball.

And FAR more concerned about getting some starting-caliber OTS and OLBs in here ... and oh yeah, probably a NT and a QB or too, as well.

With you on the offense and the DeHaven hire Lori. I also wish we could somehow transition into a 3-4 instead of whole sale changes. But we'll see what the strategy is going forward.

BTW, the whole Kurt/Khan/Kwan thing is deadly funny. After all, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" ;-)