Retired Numbers for $2000, Alex

SouthernMan

Last night, for $2000 in the Double Jeopardy round.....

The answer:

"The only number retired by this team is Jim Kelly's # 12"

followed by dumbfounded silence from the three contestants. Not one of them rang in or even took a guess.

I swear I'd kick ass if I ever got on that show. I'm real weak in the Mythology category and don't know squat about any current TV shows or movies. Other than that, I think I'd do alright.

My wife suggests I try out, but my problem is I don't have any amusing anecdotes to share during the first round break that don't involve getting messed up or getting into a fight. "So Alex, back in '79, I was real fked up at Mulligans one night, and took some mushrooms and went down to the Continental, got into a dustup with some fool with Boy George makeup and a ring through his nose, etc etc" Or I could tell about the thousand times I shoveled my parents driveway, 5 minutes before the Amherst town snowplow shoved most of the street's snow back into the end of the drive.

Great story there.

At least I know who Jim Kelly played for.

I watch the show regularly and the contestants NEVER have interesting anecdotes; most of them just make you cringe, like that black kid tonight who talked about losing his 5th thru 8th grade class elections. If he went to his speech therapy class and stopped lisping, he might have picked up a couple more votes.

And he was the cooler of the two boys tonight.

Last night, for $2000 in the Double Jeopardy round.....

The answer:

"The only number retired by this team is Jim Kelly's # 12"

followed by dumbfounded silence from the three contestants. Not one of them rang in or even took a guess.

I swear I'd kick ass if I ever got on that show. I'm real weak in the Mythology category and don't know squat about any current TV shows or movies. Other than that, I think I'd do alright.

My wife suggests I try out, but my problem is I don't have any amusing anecdotes to share during the first round break that don't involve getting messed up or getting into a fight. "So Alex, back in '79, I was real fked up at Mulligans one night, and took some mushrooms and went down to the Continental, got into a dustup with some fool with Boy George makeup and a ring through his nose, etc etc" Or I could tell about the thousand times I shoveled my parents driveway, 5 minutes before the Amherst town snowplow shoved most of the street's snow back into the end of the drive.

Great story there.

At least I know who Jim Kelly played for.

I watch the show regularly and the contestants NEVER have interesting anecdotes; most of them just make you cringe, like that black kid tonight who talked about losing his 5th thru 8th grade class elections. If he went to his speech therapy class and stopped lisping, he might have picked up a couple more votes.

And he was the cooler of the two boys tonight.

Agreed. Most of the anecdotes are cringe-worthy, and believe me, the contestants want to get through the little interview as quickly as possible and get back to the game, just as much as the audience. So give it a try (the online test was last week, though).

There are probably a few reasons for this.

One, there are limited numbers available and there are a lot of players vying for those numbers in football, so that might skew things a little.

Two, IIRC, Thurman's,Bruce's and OJ's numbers haven't been worn and possibly Kalsu's too, though they aren't officially retired.

Three, the Bills really have sucked for a good portion of those years and they really haven't had many players stand out head over heels other than those mentioned in point two.

That's my point.

Official list of NRL retired players jerseys.

Three teams that have never officially retired numbers: Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders.

I wish the Bills hadn't retired #12. Just don't give it out- much like not giving out 78, 34, or (gulp) 32.

What, no love for the Ravens, Texans or Jaguars? They haven't retired any jerseys either.

Three teams that have never officially retired numbers: Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders.

I wish the Bills hadn't retired #12. Just don't give it out- much like not giving out 78, 34, or (gulp) 32.

The Ravens, Texans and Jaguars haven't retired any either.

Sean Connery: I'll take "THE RAPISTS" for $400, Alex.

Alex: That's "therapists."

OR

Sean Connery: I'll take "catch the semen, Alex"

Alex: That's "Catch These Men."

Believe it or not, I answered the question (or vice-versa) in final jeopardy before they revealed the question/answer.

The category was "The Olympics" or something like that. I immediately shouted "Mexico City" I don't even know why, but it's not the first time I've had a quasi-psychic moment. Don't believe in psychic stuff, but I seem to have a lot of coincidences like that.

Anywho, the answer revealed to the three contestants turned out to be "these summer olympic games in the Western Hemisphere were at 7000 ft elevation"

Mexico City. I was right. The only contestant getting it right was the eventual winner of the match.

I blew these kids away (College Tournament), answering all but one question correctly in round 1.

And these are the ones going to edge me out in the job market because they have degrees and I don't.

Sometimes, I think the most they ever learned in college is how to catch the semen.

There are probably a few reasons for this.

One, there are limited numbers available and there are a lot of players vying for those numbers in football, so that might skew things a little.

Two, IIRC, Thurman's,Bruce's and OJ's numbers haven't been worn and possibly Kalsu's too, though they aren't officially retired.

Three, the Bills really have sucked for a good portion of those years and they really haven't had many players stand out head over heels other than those mentioned in point two.

Hmm, 6 Hall of Fame players who played the majority of their careers with the Bills is not that many, huh?

That doesn't include Reed (HOFer someday) and Lofton (another HOFer).

Hmm, 6 Hall of Fame players who played the majority of their careers with the Bills is not that many, huh?

That doesn't include Reed (HOFer someday) and Lofton (another HOFer).

The point is, only 1 number officially retired, a few that aren't given out and 6 Hall of Famers, of which, most were out of a span of roughly 10 years, give or take, that the Bills players as a whole, have sucked for a pretty good portion of their 50 year existence.

If you eliminate the couple of HOFer's of the mid 70's, I don't believe they have anyone worth a solid steamer of the NFL era teams.

I'm a HUGE fan but I'm also a realist, the Bills have sucked for most of their existence. Most of that sucking is on par with the early Saints and Bucanneers sucking. The franchise as a whole is not a good one.