Why should the Bills change defensive schemes?

dfwbillsfan

I understand the argument and agree that because of Western New Yorks climate it would suit the Bills to run a scheme like the 3-4 or 4-3. With that being said, none of us here really know whats going though the minds at One Bills Drive and they haven't mentioned scrapping the cover 2. Correct? I haven't heard or read any where that we are scrapping it, perhaps I'm wrong. Is it possible that the current scheme is not getting scrapped? There have been a couple of SB winning teams that have run this scheme and the talent in the NFL is watered down IMHO for the Bills to change. I really don't believe that their defense is as bad as most of the posters on this board do. Schobel is still a stud and the secondary is stacked. Maybe another dominant tackle next to Stroud and another linebacker? If this team could stay healthy and add just a little talent they could dominate. Good luck Chan you're gonna need it. GO BILLS!

I understand the argument and agree that because of Western New Yorks climate it would suit the Bills to run a scheme like the 3-4 or 4-3. With that being said, none of us here really know whats going though the minds at One Bills Drive and they haven't mentioned scrapping the cover 2. Correct? I haven't heard or read any where that we are scrapping it, perhaps I'm wrong. Is it possible that the current scheme is not getting scrapped? There have been a couple of SB winning teams that have run this scheme and the talent in the NFL is watered down IMHO for the Bills to change. I really don't believe that their defense is as bad as most of the posters on this board do. Schobel is still a stud and the secondary is stacked. Maybe another dominant tackle next to Stroud and another linebacker? If this team could stay healthy and add just a little talent they could dominate. Good luck Chan you're gonna need it. GO BILLS!

Uh.. we already have a dominant tackle next to Stroud.. his name is Kyle Williams, you know our Defensive MVP!

IMO, we should keep the 4-3 unless we plan on trading Stroud.. I can't see how you let a guy like Williams go.

Uh.. we already have a dominant tackle next to Stroud.. his name is Kyle Williams, you know our Defensive MVP!

IMO, we should keep the 4-3 unless we plan on trading Stroud.. I can't see how you let a guy like Williams go.

Perhaps another for a better rotation? I think the middle of the defense is the problem in my opinion. I do know the linebackers on this team are suspect.

Perhaps another for a better rotation? I think the middle of the defense is the problem in my opinion. I do know the linebackers on this team are suspect.

I completely don't agree. The middle was solid.. The DE's and LB's are 100% the problem.. The DE's couldn't contain and our 3rd string LB's can't play in position or make tackles.

I completely don't agree. The middle was solid.. The DE's and LB's are 100% the problem.. The DE's couldn't contain and our 3rd string LB's can't play in position or make tackles.

I think its too early to write off our speedy defensive end. I know many have already but as we know Jauron wasn't exactly the guy to utilize his "first step". Give Maybin another season he may still turn the corner.

I think its too early to write off our speedy defensive end. I know many have already but as we know Jauron wasn't exactly the guy to utilize his "first step". Give Maybin another season he may still turn the corner.

I wasn't talking about Maybin.. Maybin hardly even got a chance to play.. I was referring to Kelsay, Denney and Schobel.. Schobel did ok passing the rusher but got beat quite a bit on run plays.

My opinion is that the offense was so bad the defense wore down, both during games and through the season. If you fix the offense, perhaps get an OLB to replace Ellison, and the defense will be better.

My opinion is that the offense was so bad the defense wore down, both during games and through the season. If you fix the offense, perhaps get an OLB to replace Ellison, and the defense will be better.

DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner here. I agre 1000%, the Bills generally wore down by being on the field 35-40 minutes in some games. That and the Bills need some more depth in the front 7 as you can't win a lot of games with guys that are just special teams (sorry Jon Corto)

I wasn't talking about Maybin.. Maybin hardly even got a chance to play.. I was referring to Kelsay, Denney and Schobel.. Schobel did ok passing the rusher but got beat quite a bit on run plays.

"passing the rusher" is getting beat on running plays. :thumbdown:

However, I tend to believe the Bills Defensive line, top to bottom was pretty good this year. They did not get much help from a ravaged LB corp and I think that played a big part in out problems. The back LB's were a major drop off in talent. That was not the case at corner. Our 3rd corner played awesome this year (Drayton), our 4th good at nickel-CB in the slot but not too good outside. Our 5th was okay (Youboty) also.

I'll have to agree with Baby Joe. The perfect example was the Saints game. It was very close until the 4th quarter and the defense completely wore itself out. If the offense could have stayed on the field and got some points, maybe the defense would have held up. I think the defense just needs some tweaking and a damn good DC.

Yes they should switch to a 3-4 and it has nothing to do with the weather in Orchard Park.

1. The 3-4 is a more confusing scheme for QB's to play against. The defense allows more flexibility for the DC to disguise his

coverages. The pre snap look is rarely what you get post snap, putting the onus on the QB to make a faster decision. You don't face Peyton Manning every week in the NFL, make that opposing QB beat you. There's a reason they don't allow 3-4 defenses in the pro bowl.

2. The Bills need upgrades on the DL and at LB. It is much easier from a genetic standpoint to find players that are built like NFL LB's than defensive linemen. A much larger pool to choose from. We also have a first round pick that could barely get on the field as a DE. His size translates more to a LB than a DE.

I am in full agreement with staying with a 4-3. The way I see it is we had a very successful defense from 2003-2004 (Ranked in the top 3 of the league in both years) and it was a 4-3. Its not really the scheme that is successful but rather the players.

4-3 doesn't mean Tampa 2. We can build a tough 4-3 with 2 big DT's and bigger Linebackers. I think if we can get bigger OLB's to play next to Poz and a big nasty DT to play next to Kyle Williams and Stroud then we will be in business. Now I also feel like there will be more teams converting to the 3-4 possibly and they will be getting rid of their 4-3 personnel which could be snapped up by Buffalo.

Just get the right players in a attacking tough 4-3 and it will be fine (I believe Kyle Williams, Schobel, Poz, and possibly Stroud all currently have roles in a good 4-3.

I am in full agreement with staying with a 4-3. The way I see it is we had a very successful defense from 2003-2004 (Ranked in the top 3 of the league in both years) and it was a 4-3. Its not really the scheme that is successful but rather the players.

4-3 doesn't mean Tampa 2. We can build a tough 4-3 with 2 big DT's and bigger Linebackers. I think if we can get bigger OLB's to play next to Poz and a big nasty DT to play next to Kyle Williams and Stroud then we will be in business. Now I also feel like there will be more teams converting to the 3-4 possibly and they will be getting rid of their 4-3 personnel which could be snapped up by Buffalo.

Just get the right players in a attacking tough 4-3 and it will be fine (I believe Kyle Williams, Schobel, Poz, and possibly Stroud all currently have roles in a good 4-3.

i kind of agree that an attacking, tough 4-3 can be just as good as a 3-4, but we are miles away from being an attacking, tough 4-3 (just as we are miles away from being a good 3-4 D)....Williams and stroud can be fine as DE's in a 3-4 or one of them could try to tackle the NT spot (probably Williams, with S. Johnson as the other DE)....poz could finally move to his REAL LB spot- outside...draft McClain no matter what D becasue we need a REAL (ray lewis type) Mid linebacker, regardless of scheme