Late Rounder or Undrafted Free Agent, who is better?

Coach55

I wonder if anyone has ever calculated if you have a better chance of success being a UFA as opposed to being drafted in a late round. The logic is as follows: If you are a late rounder, typically the team scouts the player, watches game film and then sees their performance at a combine. Typically these people won't have a material interview. Often times these people are down on the list and are drafted as "someone" in the war room approves. In comparison, typically the UFA's are given the opportunity to have a "try out" where they specifically showcase their skills to the entire scouting staff actually giving them more exposure to the people that matter.

Obviously there are more UFA's to choose from, but having the more personalized "interview" process will allow the coaching staff to better assess whether a player fits the system. Plus, from a contract perspective these people are cheaper.

If the Bills were smart, they would trade all of their lower draft picks for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but if I was a player and I wasn't picked in rounds 1-5, I would rather go undrafted than get picked in round six or seven. That way I determine where I end up. It has been said before that a lot of UDFAs try to come here because A. our talent level isn't that high and B. We have had a history of UDFAs making the 53 man roster.