Another Draft Thought

Wizard

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders :ph34r: ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

I'm generally opposed to trading down, but I think most of are in agreeance that the best DT's, OT, and QB will probably be off the board at #9. (Suh, Gerald McCoy, Okung, Clausen/Bradford). The only realistic pick worth the #9 slot is McClain. This is who we should take.

However, here is a realistic scenario of the Bills getting some good value by trading down.

1. Trade pick #9 (Draft Value 1,350) to the 49er's for pick #17 (Draft Value 950). The 49er's send their second round pick #49 (Draft Value 410) in the exchange. Bills draft picks are valued now at 1,360 and 49er's at 1,350.

2. The Bills then have picks #17, #41, #48.

Pick #17 Terrence Cody (DT) An ideal pick, great value, reasonable to assume he will be around at #17 and the perfect start to a 3-4 switch.

Pick #41 Sergio Kindle (OLB 3-4) The Bills will need another linebacker with a switch to a 3-4. Mock Drafts rate Kindle between #'s 38-50.

Pick #49 Selvish Capers (LT) The Bills get a solid LT in the mid second round without having to dish out millions of dollars to a top 10 pick on the disputed second best LT in the draft behind Okung.

The Bills then can address a QB (LeFevour in round #3) and depth in rounds 4-7.

3. The 49er's with picks #9 and #13 can focus on their most pressing needs QB (Clausen?), OT (Baluga, Williams, or Campbell, or Davis), or they can go with a CB/S, another need.

This is a realistic way of the Bills building through the draft based on biggest needs. And, it makes sense for both the Bills and the 49er's as a likely and reasonable trade partner.

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders ;) ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

I'm generally opposed to trading down, but I think most of are in agreeance that the best DT's, OT, and QB will probably be off the board at #9. (Suh, Gerald McCoy, Okung, Clausen/Bradford). The only realistic pick worth the #9 slot is McClain. This is who we should take.

However, here is a realistic scenario of the Bills getting some good value by trading down.

1. Trade pick #9 (Draft Value 1,350) to the 49er's for pick #17 (Draft Value 950). The 49er's send their second round pick #49 (Draft Value 410) in the exchange. Bills draft picks are valued now at 1,360 and 49er's at 1,350.

2. The Bills then have picks #17, #41, #48.

Pick #17 Terrence Cody (DT) An ideal pick, great value, reasonable to assume he will be around at #17 and the perfect start to a 3-4 switch.

Pick #41 Sergio Kindle (OLB 3-4) The Bills will need another linebacker with a switch to a 3-4. Mock Drafts rate Kindle between #'s 38-50.

Pick #49 Selvish Capers (LT) The Bills get a solid LT in the mid second round without having to dish out millions of dollars to a top 10 pick on the disputed second best LT in the draft behind Okung.

The Bills then can address a QB (LeFevour in round #3) and depth in rounds 4-7.

3. The 49er's with picks #9 and #13 can focus on their most pressing needs QB (Clausen?), OT (Baluga, Williams, or Campbell, or Davis), or they can go with a CB/S, another need.

This is a realistic way of the Bills building through the draft based on biggest needs. And, it makes sense for both the Bills and the 49er's as a likely and reasonable trade partner.

:wallbash: Nice work. I like it!

Its impossible to say anything until the combine and all the personnel days at various colleges are done. There will be people in the early part of the first round dropping and people in the late first/early second moving up. Any discussion of who might or might not be there is pointless for another almost 3 months...