NY Times to begin charging for online articles 1/11

Beerball

Well, that leaves only about 29,999 free news sources left that people can get their info from.

True, although I think you're probably low by a couple of zeros.

But.

If people enjoy the Times' staff writers enough to make frequent use of the site, if they have (for example) a favorite columnist who isn't syndicated elsewhere, then maybe they WILL dip into their pockets. Worth a shot, because the current model certainly isn't working.

Why do I think this one might? Give this story a read: Press Coverage: The Working Model of DIY Media

The short-n-sweet: former CincyPost (RIP) Reds beat writer Trent Rosecrans decided to see if the readers of his indie site, cnati.com, would be willing to fund a trip for him to cover spring training. They were. He's already bought his plane ticket, and donations are still coming in. CTR's good at what he does, and his readers are willing to pay to keep him on the beat. And if there is ever an ESPNCincinnati.com (per the linked story), they'd be nuts not to make him their first hire.

Another former print guy, Mike Harris (longtime Va. Tech beat guy, then the SE in Richmond), is trying the same do-it-yourself approach to sports coverage in his neck of the woods. All along, as papers slashed-and-burned both their staffs and their coverage, he's been preaching the same mantra: "Give me something to read."

True, although I think you're probably low by a couple of zeros.

But.

If people enjoy the Times' staff writers enough to make frequent use of the site, if they have (for example) a favorite columnist who isn't syndicated elsewhere, then maybe they WILL dip into their pockets. Worth a shot, because the current model certainly isn't working.

Why do I think this one might? Give this story a read: Press Coverage: The Working Model of DIY Media

The short-n-sweet: former CincyPost (RIP) Reds beat writer Trent Rosecrans decided to see if the readers of his indie site, cnati.com, would be willing to fund a trip for him to cover spring training. They were. He's already bought his plane ticket, and donations are still coming in. CTR's good at what he does, and his readers are willing to pay to keep him on the beat. And if there is ever an ESPNCincinnati.com (per the linked story), they'd be nuts not to make him their first hire.

Another former print guy, Mike Harris (longtime Va. Tech beat guy, then the SE in Richmond), is trying the same do-it-yourself approach to sports coverage in his neck of the woods. All along, as papers slashed-and-burned both their staffs and their coverage, he's been preaching the same mantra: "Give me something to read."

I think a sign of things to come. In all seriousness, I think this site should have a small membership fee (I know people can donate) but a few bucks a month may help get the membership to a group of people who really want to be here and give SDS the funds required for upkeep. Just a thought.