Marty speaks!

buffalo1983

REPORTER: How interested were you in coaching in Buffalo?

MARTY: Well, I wasn't certain, quite frankly, that I was interested in coaching, but Buddy Nix has been an associate of mine for a number of years. And Buddy in my opinion is one of the best personnel people I've ever been around. So, with that in mind, we had some discussions, but to suggest that I was ever a candidate would not be accurate... My discussions about it were really driven by the fact that I have such a high regard for Buddy Nix.

REPORTER: Did Buddy reach out to you?

MARTY: No. Buddy and I, having been together in San Diego for an extended period of time, are good friends, and, you know, we had some discussions about (my son) Brian Schottenheimer, and all. But, there was never a point in time that this was something that I was absolutely excited about doing, to be candid with you.

Schottenheimer briefly discussed the report that Wilson was not interested in him. We asked him if it was true.

"Not in my sense of it. No, I don't think so," Schottenheimer said.

REPORTER: Were you disappointed at all that there didn't seem to be a massive level of interest from the Bills in bringing you in?

MARTY: No, because I never considered myself a candidate. No, I didn't have any disappointment at all, because I was never a candidate in my view... My discussions, as they unfolded, were very preliminary and never got beyond that point. There was never any point in time in my opinion that I was committed to doing.

WGRZ

MARTY: Well, I wasn't certain, quite frankly, that I was interested in coaching, but Buddy Nix has been an associate of mine for a number of years. And Buddy in my opinion is one of the best personnel people I've ever been around. So, with that in mind, we had some discussions, but to suggest that I was ever a candidate would not be accurate... My discussions about it were really driven by the fact that I have such a high regard for Buddy Nix.

MARTY: No. Buddy and I, having been together in San Diego for an extended period of time, are good friends, and, you know, we had some discussions about (my son) Brian Schottenheimer, and all. But, there was never a point in time that this was something that I was absolutely excited about doing, to be candid with you.

Schottenheimer briefly discussed the report that Wilson was not interested in him. We asked him if it was true.

REPORTER: Were you disappointed at all that there didn't seem to be a massive level of interest from the Bills in bringing you in?

MARTY: No, because I never considered myself a candidate. No, I didn't have any disappointment at all, because I was never a candidate in my view... My discussions, as they unfolded, were very preliminary and never got beyond that point. There was never any point in time in my opinion that I was committed to doing.

WGRZ

Yep, reported a couple of days ago. It's amazing to me how preliminary chit chat between people in the NFL who network with each other gets reported as anything other than what it is.

WGRZ

We won't ever know the truth from either side. But it does seem as though we had a chance to get Marty if the effort was made, and that clearly wasn't. That itself is very disappointing.

I hope this is the end of the Marty Schott wanted the job but Ralph didn't want him BS.

Not exactly...

But why didn’t the Bills speak with Marty Schottenheimer, who has said he was interested in the job and has a solid resume?

“I’ve heard Mr. Wilson really didn’t care for him,” Kelly said. “If the owner doesn’t want you, then what’s the use of talking?”

WGR

Not exactly...

But why didn’t the Bills speak with Marty Schottenheimer, who has said he was interested in the job and has a solid resume?

“I’ve heard Mr. Wilson really didn’t care for him,” Kelly said. “If the owner doesn’t want you, then what’s the use of talking?”

WGR

I note that you posted this quote on both threads, but will only reply here.

The Jimbo quote is indeed interesting, but what does it tell us? Not much, mainly because it does not tell us the meaning of "didn't care for him." The Ralph-bashers will jump on it to say it proves that Ralph has some irrational old man hatred of Marty. But it could also mean that Ralph did not think Marty was really interested in the job, or that he would not be sufficiently hungry to do what needed to be done.

I note that you posted this quote on both threads, but will only reply here.

The Jimbo quote is indeed interesting, but what does it tell us? Not much, mainly because it does not tell us the meaning of "didn't care for him." The Ralph-bashers will jump on it to say it proves that Ralph has some irrational old man hatred of Marty. But it could also mean that Ralph did not think Marty was really interested in the job, or that he would not be sufficiently hungry to do what needed to be done.

yeah didn't know which post it fit best in... :devil:

It could also mean that, RW over the course of time never really cared for Marty...I mean how many times in the past could RW have gone after him and didn't...this time he was out there and said Nope...

Interesting in that the conversation probably about "Should I pursue the possibility of your coming to Buffalo" "If you were to pursue that possibility I would probably not be interested." In the course of whatever happened after that there were probably things posited by Schottenheimer as to what might be conditions if there were efforts to pursue him for condidacy and a decision by Nix that we probably wouldn't meet those conditions, and the two amicably parted. Hence the informal conversation led to a conclusion that Schottenheimer would not be pursued as a candidate. Sounds like a very professional way to gauge a potential candidate's interest and move on without making a big stink out of it. Very professional. Good going Mr. Nix.

yeah didn't know which post it fit best in... :devil:

It could also mean that, RW over the course of time never really cared for Marty...I mean how many times in the past could RW have gone after him and didn't...this time he was out there and said Nope...

No worries, I did not mean that to sound like a knock, and am sorry that it did. :devil:

You may be right, but to be honest I think there are many good reasons for not hiring Marty, so am not inclined to jump to the conclusion that Ralph's opposition, however strong or determinate it was, is purely irrational.

No worries, I did not mean that to sound like a knock, and am sorry that it did. :devil:

You may be right, but to be honest I think there are many good reasons for not hiring Marty, so am not inclined to jump to the conclusion that Ralph's opposition, however strong or determinate it was, is purely irrational.

Lol I didn't take it as a knock...No biggy :devil:

I cannot disagree with anything you said...Personally I would've looked at Marty, in the absense of Cowher, not as a long term answer but he is someone that has a track record of turning teams around and getting them on the right track...and that is exactly what we need...

The guy was never interview for the position, what do you expect him to say? If he said yes, absolutely, then not get the position he'd probably lose leverage when another opportuniy presented itself. I think if Buddy wanted him he would be here.

It sounds liek Marty would have come here to coach as a favor to Buddy Nix. I like Marty, but not enough to have him doing something he wasn't passionate about doing as a favor to someone in the organization. Anyone remember when Marv became the GM as a favor to Ralph?