Pro Bowl Question

NY Nole

This could really have an affect (perhaps negatively) on player salaries moving forward. Given that the Pro Bowl is the week before the Super Bowl, meaning there will be players from two teams who do not play in the game -- that means alternates will have to be named -- elevating them to "Pro Bowl" status.

By my count, there are 6 players from Indianapolis and 3 from the Jets (9 from Minnesota). Being named a "Pro Bowl" player triggers an agent to instantly want more money and raise their player's worth to a team. I wonder how this affects future salaries (and potential holdouts/contract disputes) moving forward. I don't think they have enough alternates to accommodate all the potential empty Pro Bowl spots. Anyone know how many alternates there are (I think Kyle Williams is one)?

There's plenty of alternates...if the 1st alternate can't go, then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th alternate in line gets the call. It's all based on votes from the fans, coaches, and players. Top 3 QBs from each conference get the call and if all 3 of them can't go, you'll have the next 3 vote-getters

Has anyone heard word on whether or not Byrd is playing? My guess would be no, but I don't recall an anouncement being made.

as I recall, Chris Brown said that Byrd will take 3-4 months to rehab back into playing shape so barring a miracle, the next time he'll be active on a football field will be OTAs in late March/April