What About The 24 Teams Not In The Playoffs?

BillsPhan

Here is Mike Tomlins' resume' before the Steelers hired him as on only their 3rd head coach since 1969:

"Prior to joining the Steelers, Tomlin spent the 2006 season as the Minnesota Vikings’ defensive coordinator after spending the previous five seasons (2001-05) as defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Thats it folks. Six lousy seasons as an NFL assistant coach, and bang...he's the man to replace Bill Cowher. Where is the next Mike Tomlin? There are 48 coordinators eligible to be interviewed right now, that are not spending 105 hours per week preparing for their next playoff game. In fact, they may even.....God forbid, fly up to Buffalo, to interview for he Bills' head coaching position tomorrow. Are you telling me that NONE of those 48 coordinators are worthy of at least an interveiw, especially considering the beating Ralph, Buddy and Russ are taking in our local and the national media for going after these arrogant ex coaches and assistant coaches who continue to refuse to even talk to them?

Every day another sports writer chimes in how stupid it is for the Bills to be "taking this long" to hire their guy. (That argument really doesn't hold water to me, what if the Bills had their hearts set on one of the coordinators working for the two teams that play in the SB? And that guy would not take the job or interview until after the game? Gee, I guess that means that the Bills would need to wait until after the SB, right?) Whatever the right answer is in when to hire your coach regarding the college all star games and preparing for the draft etc etc etc, it seems to me that the Bills could be extending their search to more candidiates around the NFL.

Here is Mike Tomlins' resume' before the Steelers hired him as on only their 3rd head coach since 1969:

"Prior to joining the Steelers, Tomlin spent the 2006 season as the Minnesota Vikings’ defensive coordinator after spending the previous five seasons (2001-05) as defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Thats it folks. Six lousy seasons as an NFL assistant coach, and bang...he's the man to replace Bill Cowher. Where is the next Mike Tomlin? There are 48 coordinators eligible to be interviewed right now, that are not spending 105 hours per week preparing for their next playoff game. In fact, they may even.....God forbid, fly up to Buffalo, to interview for he Bills' head coaching position tomorrow. Are you telling me that NONE of those 48 coordinators are worthy of at least an interveiw, especially considering the beating Ralph, Buddy and Russ are taking in our local and the national media for going after these arrogant ex coaches and assistant coaches who continue to refuse to even talk to them?

Every day another sports writer chimes in how stupid it is for the Bills to be "taking this long" to hire their guy. (That argument really doesn't hold water to me, what if the Bills had their hearts set on one of the coordinators working for the two teams that play in the SB? And that guy would not take the job or interview until after the game? Gee, I guess that means that the Bills would need to wait until after the SB, right?) Whatever the right answer is in when to hire your coach regarding the college all star games and preparing for the draft etc etc etc, it seems to me that the Bills could be extending their search to more candidiates around the NFL.

Frazier.

Everytime Ralph and Buddy walk up to a coordinator, the prespective head coach eyes get real big and he immediatly puts his head down and goes to the door. However Ralph and Buddy have become used to this response so they have Russ Brandon waiting at the front door, and Tom Modrak waiting at the back door. As the coach walks out the door they are drugged and hogtied and made to interview. The attempt on Charlie Wiess was not successfu,l as they accidentally grabbed Loui Anderson, who is said to also have denied the Head Coachisng job

As soon as Minnesota loses, Frazier will be the next coach, he will come cheap, Brandon will get a raise, and Ralphie will save his cheap ass alot of money, The Bills are a f!@#$%G JOKE!!!!!!!!

As opposed to the offers that Ralph has put out to the "big name" coaches but they have not been interested? Should Ralph overpay a lesser known just to say he's not cheap? What do you want him to do? He has tried, there is no interest. The NFL is full of good coaches that were once little known coordinators. It's not necessarily a bad way to go.

You are right, why have the Bills not interviewed the co-ordinators from the Lions, Chiefs, Rams, Raiders, Browns, etc. I mean, we have to have a HC now!!!!!! There is so much going on now that the Bills are losing out on by not having a coach in place before the playoffs are even half over and all the other teams in the league are filling the MANY HC vacancies.

So who have the Bills lost out on hiring cause they were taken as co-ordinators by other teams?

Haslett? - Now DC in Washington

Weiss? - Was interviewed and the Bills decided against him

Crennel? - Joined Weiss "re-uniting the Band" in KC

Fewell? - Bills also interviewed him, he might be the only one the Bills "Lost out on" by not acting quickly

No lets see, No one here wanted Haslett, or Crennel cause of previous failures, same with Weiss although he did have some supporters here but mostly as a OC. Fewell had some supporters recently, probably because of the frustration by fans of not hiring someone now and his interest by other teams

Sure there are lots of other guys they can potentially interview, but the Bills FO doesn't feel that any of those guys have the potential to turn things around here, they are looking for quality, not quantity of interviews

As opposed to the offers that Ralph has put out to the "big name" coaches but they have not been interested? Should Ralph overpay a lesser known just to say he's not cheap? What do you want him to do? He has tried, there is no interest. The NFL is full of good coaches that were once little known coordinators. It's not necessarily a bad way to go.

Ralph pays for performance. After DJ was 5-1, the Bills paid him in the top 10 of coaches in the league. That just proves Ralph is Cheap and won't open his wallet!

Ralph pays for performance. After DJ was 5-1, the Bills paid him in the top 10 of coaches in the league. That just proves Ralph is Cheap and won't open his wallet!

Say this out loud a few times and you'll go insane, "The Bills were 5-1 in 2008."

So the reports of offering Shanahan and Cowher money were just falsified? Nothing more than rumors? Has there not been an effort to entice the huge name you guys want that in no way guarantees any form of success?

FIXED

Atleast the Bills aren't alone in this, Denver did the same thing this year

Cowtippur - It all depends on what better suits your agenda. If Ralph is cheap, then those were rumors and never offered. If you are on the side that believes no one wants to step foot in Buffalo cause Ralph meddles too mucch and is hindering the team, then they were offered and the guys took less money just so they wouldn't have to come here

Atleast the Bills aren't alone in this, Denver did the same thing this year

Cowtippur - It all depends on what better suits your agenda. If Ralph is cheap, then those were rumors and never offered. If you are on the side that believes no one wants to step foot in Buffalo cause Ralph meddles too mucch and is hindering the team, then they were offered and the guys took less money just so they wouldn't have to come here

I would probably go with a more down the middle approach. I think even if he pays top dollar for a coach, at some point the generosity will run out and he won't pay for the talent, possibly. I also though feel like an up and coming coordinator would be better than Shanny Sr. or Cowher, so maybe my feelings are swayed a bit.

Everytime Ralph and Buddy walk up to a coordinator, the prespective head coach eyes get real big and he immediatly puts his head down and goes to the door. However Ralph and Buddy have become used to this response so they have Russ Brandon waiting at the front door, and Tom Modrak waiting at the back door. As the coach walks out the door they are drugged and hogtied and made to interview. The attempt on Charlie Wiess was not successfu,l as they accidentally grabbed Loui Anderson, who is said to also have denied the Head Coachisng job

I'm sure Ralph doesn't walk up to anybody at this point. He sits by his Bat Phone. :unsure:

As for Buddy, my theory is that Buddy was hired when he was because Russ Brandon's search had stalled big time. Smithers couldn't talk shop and was getting blown off by everyone, so he and Burns decided to front someone else in the form of Buddy Nix. This certainly seemed to energize the search a bit initially. Regardless, it is what it is and everyone knows it.

You are absolutely right. These coordinators should be interviewed, all of them. But they won't. This is Wilson's team.