(OT) Windows SP-2 update

Frez

Honestly, after I downloaded SP2 the computer froze then would not completely restart afterward. It would turn on, power up and just before it hit the welcome window (XP with user names) it would shut itself down -- a never-ending loop.

Microsoft and Dell had no idea - but my wife swears she heard one of the 6 tech guys say "not again" under his breath. Result: dead computer. Dell or some other computer shop would essentially have to strip out most of the software and memory, including all our files (thankfully all financial and important docs were backed up - though not many pixs of the family) and refit it as a "new" computer.

Screw that, I'm not paying way over $200 for something that they would not even guarantee to work.

Obviously I can't prove that SP2 killed my computer but it's an awfully strange coinciendence since I never had a problem beforehand.

i downloaded it and applied to 2 computers, no probs yet

9794[/snapback]

besides a couple minor settings that were changed and i had to reset, i had my first problem with SP2. Overwrote newer drivers for my webcam and when i went to start it XP would blue screen. but i had fixed the same problem (outdated drivers on windowsupdate.com) long before SP2

Has anyone been brave enough to do the SP-2 Windows update yet? I see there is many conflicts with it. It's out and ready for download @ Microsoft.com.

Just curious to see who's the brave one.

9792[/snapback]

I'm not going to yet. PCMAG.com has published an article regarding a huge vulnerability with the SP2 patch.

I'll wait another couple of weeks.

Updated to SP2, no problems yet. I turned off the Security Center since I update the patches and anti-virus regularly. No need wasting overhead reminding me to do something I do anyway.

One piece of software known to have a problem with SP2 is Nero CD Burner, but only older versions (v5.5 and lower) have the problem. Nero v6.0 and above works fine.

Studies done with very CPU demanding operations show that SP2 runs about 5-10% slower. The far majority of applications and users won't be affected by this hit. Sadly, hardware demand is the price one has to pay for tightening down the hatch. SP2 used about 700 MB extra hard drive space on my systems. That's added extra time to do virus and spyware scans as well as backups.

On a positive not, IE added a long overdue pop-up blocker. Unfortunately it also added a pop-up bar to let you know when it's blocking pop-ups. That bar is located right below the navigation toolbar and uses up valuable browser viewing space. You can turn it off in the options. I did. I'm selfish about maximizing browser viewer space. Was hoping IE would added tabbed browsing. Maybe next version.

Overall a pretty innocuous upgrade with mostly under the hood additions. Not installing it eventually is really no option. It's unfortunate we have to secure our homes, cars, airports, etc from morons. Computers are society's new security concern.

Honestly, after I downloaded SP2 the computer froze then would not completely restart afterward. It would turn on, power up and just before it hit the welcome window (XP with user names) it would shut itself down -- a never-ending loop.

Microsoft and Dell had no idea - but my wife swears she heard one of the 6 tech guys say "not again" under his breath. Result: dead computer. Dell or some other computer shop would essentially have to strip out most of the software and memory, including all our files (thankfully all financial and important docs were backed up - though not many pixs of the family) and refit it as a "new" computer.

Screw that, I'm not paying way over $200 for something that they would not even guarantee to work.

Obviously I can't prove that SP2 killed my computer but it's an awfully strange coinciendence since I never had a problem beforehand. 

try booting in safe mode. hit f8 after the POST but before the windows startup screen (the black one with the scrolling line). Log on as an administrator, set up a scandisk for the next time you reboot, before you reboot, make sure your pagefile is a good size (1.5x the RAM you have, and set the min and max to the same number) and do a defrag. if that doesn't work, reboot in safe mode and uninstall sp2 through add/remove programs.

SP 2 caused the infinite reboot bug to occur on my pc when I first installed it, requiring a compete reinstall to work properly. The same happened for a lot of other people that I know.

The bug is pretty common, although when I reinstalled xp I installed sp2 right away and my pc seems to be running fine now.

You can do a slipstream if you have the original xp cd, the full sp2 file, and a cd burner.  Then you can redo windows and have sp2 integrated.  I used a program called autostreamer.

10200[/snapback]

Corp - I have a CD with the original XP and one with SP1 slipstreamed in. I'm guessing it would be best to slipstream SP2 with the one with SP1 rather than the original? You agree?