Who would want to be the Bills HC?

gjv001

Let's face it, the odds of being a successful HC with the Bills are probably 200 to 1 against you. First, the same management that has been failing year in and year out is still there and solidly intrenched. Second,the same scouting personnel that has failed over the years is still there. Third, your in a division that is made up of teams from much larger markets that are committed to winning. Their ownership has brought in competent football minded people to direct their operations. Forth, you don't have a QB to work with. Fifth, you have to build an OL. Sixth, you have one of the worst defensive front seven in the league. Seventh, you have to take the approach that after three or four years being frustrated by One through Six, you had better have saved your salary, because your reputation as a head coach will be that you can't put a winning team on the field. Therefore you career as a head coach is shot. Maybe someone you met along the way might give you an assistants job.

Let's face it, the odds of being a successful HC with the Bills are probably 200 to 1 against you. First, the same management that has been failing year in and year out is still there and solidly intrenched. Second,the same scouting personnel that has failed over the years is still there. Third, your in a division that is made up of teams from much larger markets that are committed to winning. Their ownership has brought in competent football minded people to direct their operations. Forth, you don't have a QB to work with. Fifth, you have to build an OL. Sixth, you have one of the worst defensive front seven in the league. Seventh, you have to take the approach that after three or four years being frustrated by One through Six, you had better have saved your salary, because your reputation as a head coach will be that you can't put a winning team on the field. Therefore you career as a head coach is shot. Maybe someone you met along the way might give you an assistants job.
Ok I will take the job I slept at a holiday inn express last night I am now qualified

This Bills job could show us all a lot about the state of the NFL today. Look at the Patriots. They got handled by a young coach, and an offense that isn't all that terrific. The Jets won with a new coach. Most of the people actually in the NFL will admit that the difference between talent on each roster is small.

I believe that coaching and teaching - and luck, when it comes to injuries - have a lot to do with winning. A well coached team can go far. Someone like Schottenheimer Sr. is supposed to be able to come in and assemble a good cast of coaches. If that were true, and we added a stud DT, a decent DE, a good LB, a good LT, and a good QB, we could be competitve.

Now, thats only five positions - with all the draft and free agency. Any scout team should be able to come up with two starters in a draft. Add three free agents... and it doesn't seem that far off.

So, lets see if whoever we hire can assemble a good, inspiring coaching staff. If they can, there is no reason to think we can't be successful.

I agree completely.

Furthernore, as long as stupid meddling Ralph still owns the team they will never be run in a professional manner.

At best, in time, the Bills may become a playoff tease.

The hiring of Nix is a great example. I'm not saying he's not a step up from Brandon, any football guy is a step up from a marketing guy. But it's hard for me to billieve that the best man for the gm's job is a 70 year old that had to be talked out of retirement last year. Just seems like another hiring based more in comfort than competence.

The Bills need an vocal experienced head coach with a chip on his shoulder that has something to prove. That coach is Brian Billick. And he would love to come to Buffalo. This is the guy we need.

Overpriced for RW and RB and Littman.

THey dont want the one experienced coach with a good track record, that wants to come. Hmm... Interesting coincidence.

Look for the lowest priced alternative between Frazier, Grimm, and B. Schott to be here next year. Whoever agrees to be paid the least, gets the gig.

Billick took himself out of the running by expressing interest.

A successful coach has an idea of what it takes to be successful. Until the team and front office show some movement toward success by have some talent on the roster, I don't think an established coach will get into it. Maybe Nix can get Marty in the front office to help, and maybe his kid will be a good head coach. I hope I'm wrong and Cowher or another successful head coach comes here, but I'm doubting it. I think we're going to be co-ordinator bound, or maybe Trestman. Looking at his resume, I hope they at least ask Trestman for an interview.