Aaron Maybin Tweet

Fingon

There are at least ten States with a legal requirement to "aid in distress". I don't know if New York is one of them...

Those are good samaritan statutes to aid a person in distress. They are not necessarily the same thing as a statute that requires one to notify the police of witnessed criminal activity.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously man! Why didnt he notify someone? If that guy killed the cab driver and someone used his tweet as evidence that he was a witness what kind of trouble could he be in....... some people are just plain stupid and irresponsible. Way to care about your fellow man Aaron.

Didn't Seinfeld and company go to jail over a similar offense?

Maybe it was Gilbert Arenas and he was just showing the cabbie that the gun had no ammo, that he'd left it at home, so really that should be OK. Either that or he'd just lost to the cabbie in a hot match of paper, rock, scissors and refused to pay up. After all, gun does beat rock...

I'm glad everyone can criticize Maybin for not doing anything from behind the safety of their computers, when anyone with any sense is going to get the !@#$ out of dodge if they saw someone pull a gun on someone else.

I'm almost certain you cannot be charged with witnessing a crime and not reporting it.

Title 18 of the US Code Section 4 says otherwise:

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Yes, Virginia, not reporting a felony is a federal offense.