Buffalo Bills Head Coach

All-

The Bills ability to recruit and hire a big name coach, imho, has little to do with the climate or market size in Buffalo. (The fact that we sold out every home game this year, again, for a miserable team underscores this)

The reason Buffalo can not recruit a coach is organizational disfunction. If you are THE MAN, ala Cowher, you want to work directly for the boss. No big name, with options, will come here with this org chart:

Ralph

//

Russ

//

Buddy

//

Coach

This is the main reason why Shanny went to the skins- he is making the decisions (with Allen of course) You heard Parcells- if I am going to do the cooking, I want to buy the groceries.

No one knows whether either of them were offered ten million a year. Let's just get that out on the table right now. That number has been upchucked by the media and fans but that's as far as it goes.

Exactly. My understanding is that Bill Belicheat is the current top dog @ 6 mil/yr, and Shanny just leapfrogged him (again) at roughly 7 mil/yr.

I highly doubt Brandon's and/or Buddy's first statement to potential HC's is "... just to spark your interest, our owner is willing to pay you up to 10 mil/yr."

I do think getting a blue-chip coach is well worth the big dollars it'll take, but upping the head coaching payscale by 3 or 4 mil/yr is a quantum leap. Snyder sure seems like the guy who would have had little trouble paying Shanny more than he just did.

Plus, the Bills already did this to the average-at-best OG market when we coughed up $49 mil for Dockery, and that didn't exactly result in a good ROI.

There was a story about an incident Cam had with the Dolphins that was used to illustrate that he didn't have control of the team. It seems like a vetran player was involved and it was on a team plane or bus. I can't remember the details. I think he is a great coordinator and I would be glad to see him in that capacity with the Bills, but not as head coach.

I did not like the idea of Shanahan coming because while he is a good coach I think he is lousy as a GM and I think he expects to be GM/Head Coach. I doubt that things will turn out well for him in Washington.

Cowher turned down other teams before. He had a chance to go to the Jets last year. I don't think Bills fans should take that one personally. It seems like only Carolina would be a slam dunk for him.

I still would like to see Marty come here. I think he has the best track record of anyone available (including Shanahan and Cowher). Marty has proven he can turn teams around in several different cities. Cowher and Shanahan were only in one city and it is possible that some of their success was due to the system they were in (Pittsburg) or players they had (Elway). I would still be glad to see Cowher come, but I think Marty is more of a proven commodity.

Wasn't Sam Wyche, a proven success story at QB development, brought in at one time to do that? How'd that go?

My personal opinion is that Sam Wyche had a decent offensive mind and helped develop Boomer Easion into a top QB during his time. They started using the no huddle and had Boomer use a play called "sellout playaction" which they used very successfully.

Wyche started to develop JP Losman but was fired once Jauron took over, Turk the jerk is responsible for how JP and Edwards were ultimately developed.

My personal opinion is that Sam Wyche had a decent offensive mind and helped develop Boomer Easion into a top QB during his time. They started using the no huddle and had Boomer use a play called "sellout playaction" which they used very successfully.

Wyche started to develop JP Losman but was fired once Jauron took over, Turk the jerk is responsible for how JP and Edwards were ultimately developed.

First, let me preface this by saying that I truly believe that Sam Wyche was very good at what he did over his career, and I don't hold him solely responsible for not making J.P. successful.

But I guess that strengthens my point ... with the QBs we have on our roster, nobody could "develop" any of them into good QBs. As good of an O.C. and QB coach Cam Cameron has been, there is no hope for these guys on our roster. Turk stunk as an O.C., but it wasn't his fault JP and Trent sucked. They sucked because they were no good to begin with.

Anyone think that Fewell has a shot at the head coaching job? I for one will be pissed if he gets it.

Bills fans deserve better, last in the NFL against the run...with a head coach that had a defensive background. :thumbsup:

Then they promote the DC to head coach, what kind of idiots are running the team? Bobby April should have been given the chance to run the team, he was after all the "assistant head coach".

I witnessed the Cam Cameron abomination in Miami first-hand two years ago. Let me tell you that we do not want any part of that. It was a complete train-wreck, and he is still lambasted regularly and has become the go-to good punch-line, eclipsing Dave Wannstadt. I'd love to have him running the offense, but not the whole show.

First, let me preface this by saying that I truly believe that Sam Wyche was very good at what he did over his career, and I don't hold him solely responsible for not making J.P. successful.

But I guess that strengthens my point ... with the QBs we have on our roster, nobody could "develop" any of them into good QBs. As good of an O.C. and QB coach Cam Cameron has been, there is no hope for these guys on our roster. Turk stunk as an O.C., but it wasn't his fault JP and Trent sucked. They sucked because they were no good to begin with.

Sorry, I gotta disagree

How you develop a young QB is everything, both Trent and JP showed great promise at certain points in time. I can recall post after post in 08, before game 5, on how Edwards looked like a young Joe Montana. Even alphapr!ck made an apology post because of his constant ridiculing of Edwards after he played so well in the season opener this year.

The problem with Jauron and Schonert is those two morons threw young inexperienced QB's into the fire and let them burn, they kept trying to force the QB to win games instead of making the run game work and allowing the QB to manage the game.

If anything sucked from day one it was the coaching, the offensive scheme, the play calling and the O line. The Bills haven't had a dominate running offense since Thurman Thomas played, even then the Bills ran more then they passed most every year.

Who? Ron Rivera.

Why? Because if the other team doesn't score, you just need a field goal to win.

So if the Bills remain 25th in offense or worse you're OK with that?

So if the Bills continue to draft QB's and they continue to fail because they lack proper coaching, you're OK with that also?

Lastly, Can you link some credentials as to why you think Rivera take the Bills players and turn them into a top defense in the NFL, has he done this with any other team as DC?

Sorry, I gotta disagree

How you develop a young QB is everything, both Trent and JP showed great promise at certain points in time. I can recall post after post in 08, before game 5, on how Edwards looked like a young Joe Montana. Even alphapr!ck made an apology post because of his constant ridiculing of Edwards after he played so well in the season opener this year.

The problem with Jauron and Schonert is those two morons threw young inexperienced QB's into the fire and let them burn, they kept trying to force the QB to win games instead of making the run game work and allowing the QB to manage the game.

If anything sucked from day one it was the coaching, the offensive scheme, the play calling and the O line. The Bills haven't had a dominate running offense since Thurman Thomas played, even then the Bills ran more then they passed most every year.

No apologies, necessary! I can't disagree about the importance of developing young QBs. And I can't disagree that both Trent and JP showed great promise. But Coughlin threw Eli into the fire; Eli's brother got thrown into the fire; Roethlisberger did, and so did Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Some guys have it; some don't. JP and Trent didn't.

But you are correct. They weren't helped by any of the coaching or offensive schemes. I just don't think they could've been successful under any coaching/offensive schemes, unfortunately.

Johnson was handed a 3-13 team with both off/def ranked outside the top 20, and drafted/played a rookie QB. Cameron took over a 6-10 squad, used the #1 on Ted Ginn, and managed to turn a D that finished in the top 5 the year before into a unit that allowed a franchise-worst 437 points.

Advantage, Pig-Faced Satan. Cameron: decent-to-good OC, but underwhelming as a HC dating back to his days at Indiana.

Hey Lori,

Given your knowledge of all things Buffalo Bills, Who would you like to see come here as HC?

Also, who do you think they will ACTUALLY hire?

No apologies, necessary! I can't disagree about the importance of developing young QBs. And I can't disagree that both Trent and JP showed great promise. But Coughlin threw Eli into the fire; Eli's brother got thrown into the fire; Roethlisberger did, and so did Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Some guys have it; some don't. JP and Trent didn't.

But you are correct. They weren't helped by any of the coaching or offensive schemes. I just don't think they could've been successful under any coaching/offensive schemes, unfortunately.

C'mon, the NY Giants have the best O line in the NFL and one of the top running games to go with that O line, they also had a top TE and WR corps when Eli got there plus Kevin Gilbride as OC.Top system, running game, coaching, O line.

Big Ben had Bill Cowher and the Bus, all he was asked to do his first year was manage the game and let the running game do all the work, and it did take them to a SB. Big Ben also had Ken Wisenhunt as his OC, who is now HC in Arizona.Top system, running game, coaching, O line.

Payton Manning had Tom Moore as his OC who taught him to call his own plays, Bill Polian to build a great O line and running game, great WR corps, look at his supporting cast, friken awesome

Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers had Cam Cameron as their OC an one of the best O lines in the NFL to sit behind and learn, plus Cam Cameron teaching them. If I'm not mistaken Rivers sat behind Brees and learned for a year, so no, he wasn't thrown into any fire.

All you did was reinforce my point about schemes, play callers, coaches and O lines. all the QB's you mentioned went to really good teams with really good O lines and decent if not some great coaching.

I highly doubt any of those QB's could have achieved the success they now have... if they had been drafted by and played for the Buffalo Bills. Don't forget, the Bills had a rookie play caller in Schonert and AVP, no QB coach and the worst O line in the NFL and Dick Jauron as HC.

Rotten coaching, scheme, play calling and O line... this is why they need to blow up the entire team and rebuild it with someone who knows OFFENSE!