QB Search - What is Billy Volek's Status?

Nevergiveup

I think Volek still has a year left on a 3 year deal he signed in 2008. Now if he were to be cut by San Diego or demand a trade I would be interested in bringing him to Buffalo as a stop gap kind of guy. The guy has a gun BUT he doesn't think he can make each and every throw he picks his spots well.

Volek hung around on the Titans for ages then has had a nice backup stint with the Chargers for a while now too. Volek has achieved this weird back up veteran status the guy hasn't started much more then a seasons worth of games but because he has hung around for over 9 seasons in the NFL in various capacities he is considered a veteran presence.

To me Volek would be OK as a stop gap guy to have Brohm or someone who they draft sit for a season or two BUT if this team wants a care taker QB Chad Pennington is a much better option. Pennington has played as a starter in much more games and has won this division twice.

I know we pursued him at one point. He has been on the bench, but he backs up one of the best QB's in the league. San Diego has tried to retain him every time his contract has come up. Tough to evaluate because of his lack of playing time, but he has to be better than what we have.

Anyone know his contract status? Love to be able season to add him to the list of potential QB's next season.

Right...the dude that was so unprepared and non-chalant about being HANDED the starting job for the Titans by Jeff Fischer that they went out and brought in a veteran QB to give the job to with a few games left in the preseason then promptly cut Volek...

Yes, just the player we want here...doesn't even give a crap about being prepared to start in the NFL...

Right...the dude that was so unprepared and non-chalant about being HANDED the starting job for the Titans by Jeff Fischer that they went out and brought in a veteran QB to give the job to with a few games left in the preseason then promptly cut Volek...

Yes, just the player we want here...doesn't even give a crap about being prepared to start in the NFL...

I don't need to look that one up to know you are wrong. No way they cut Volek. Had to be signed as a free agent or be part of a trade. Huge difference.

I don't need to look that one up to know you are wrong. No way they cut Volek. Had to be signed as a free agent or be part of a trade. Huge difference.

You are right...my bad. He was traded to San Diego after being dropped from the starter to the inactive third string QB in many games...gave up a 6th round pick...either way, the part about him not giving a crap was correct...Fisher had some brutal comments about him after he was traded and the reason things went downhill:

"I never at any time in my career have gone into such detail [about a trade]. But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Volek inherited the quarterback job when the Titans traded Steve McNair to Baltimore in June. Fisher claimed Volek lied to him in the first week after he was named the starter.

Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

"There's a difference between assuming a role as a starter and a backup role. There's a distinct difference between those two positions. In the club's opinion based on what transpired, he was not suited to be the starter," Fisher said.

To me, that sounds like Fisher explained to him what was expected of him, and then Volek blew it off and then lied to him, telling him he had been studying his playbook and knew the plays when in reality he probably was on vacation somewhere or something. In a nutshell, Volek's status is "loser"

You are right...my bad. He was traded to San Diego after being dropped from the starter to the inactive third string QB in many games...gave up a 6th round pick...either way, the part about him not giving a crap was correct...Fisher had some brutal comments about him after he was traded and the reason things went downhill:

"I never at any time in my career have gone into such detail [about a trade]. But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Volek inherited the quarterback job when the Titans traded Steve McNair to Baltimore in June. Fisher claimed Volek lied to him in the first week after he was named the starter.

Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

"There's a difference between assuming a role as a starter and a backup role. There's a distinct difference between those two positions. In the club's opinion based on what transpired, he was not suited to be the starter," Fisher said.

To me, that sounds like Fisher explained to him what was expected of him, and then Volek blew it off and then lied to him, telling him he had been studying his playbook and knew the plays when in reality he probably was on vacation somewhere or something. In a nutshell, Volek's status is "loser"

I love the way you left this part out.....

"In late August 2006, coach Jeff Fisher announced that the Titans intended to sign QB Kerry Collins to compete with Volek for the starting QB job. In turn, it has been reported that Volek took issue with this decision and immediately asked to be considered for a trade"

Any chance Fisher lied to Volek? Could the demand lead to the fact that they only received a 6th round pick for him? I don't know if this guy could be a starter, but he appears to better than most teams back-ups and if he was available I would look at him. That was all I was saying. I don't think he should be completely written off because of the route he has taken.

I know we pursued him at one point. He has been on the bench, but he backs up one of the best QB's in the league. San Diego has tried to retain him every time his contract has come up. Tough to evaluate because of his lack of playing time, but he has to be better than what we have.

Anyone know his contract status? Love to be able season to add him to the list of potential QB's next season.

Old!!

I love the way you left this part out.....

"In late August 2006, coach Jeff Fisher announced that the Titans intended to sign QB Kerry Collins to compete with Volek for the starting QB job. In turn, it has been reported that Volek took issue with this decision and immediately asked to be considered for a trade"

Any chance Fisher lied to Volek? Could the demand lead to the fact that they only received a 6th round pick for him? I don't know if this guy could be a starter, but he appears to better than most teams back-ups and if he was available I would look at him. That was all I was saying. I don't think he should be completely written off because of the route he has taken.

That was in response to what had already happened with Volek. Nice try tho.

That was in response to what had already happened with Volek. Nice try tho.

"although he has criticized Volek for lying to him, Fisher has not revealed what the lie was[/color], and instead also states that Volek never took advantage of his opportunities once told he was the starter. Many critics state that Volek took full advantage of his chances to become the starting quarterback, pointing towards the reasonably good preseason that the Titans had."

Maybe there is 2 sides to this story. Good thing you were there so you know exactly what went down.