The Lawyer Milloy Bowl

Orton's Arm

Back in the '70s, Bills fans had to go through a lot. But at least they got to put a label on their misfortunes. "0 for the '70s!" they said. "We are old, grizzled fans who have witnessed this team get literally no wins in an entire decade's worth of play against their most hated divisional rival," they have said. "The fact that we stuck with this team through that proves we're the exact opposite of bandwagon fans."

Of the last 19 games between the Bills and the Patriots, the Patriots have won all those games but one. The Lawyer Milloy bowl. That fluke has denied this generation of Bills fans the chance to put a concise label on their Patriots-inflicted misfortunes, the way that Bills fans from the '70s could do with "0 for the '70s." That Lawyer Milloy bowl was clearly a fluke, a one-time event, a game which indicated literally nothing about how those two teams would fare over the course of the year. :rolleyes: Had that game been a loss, we'd be one game away from tying the "0 for the '70s streak."

As Bills fans, we naturally want to see our team win the Super Bowl. But that's obviously not going to happen any time soon. But the Lawyer Milloy bowl has robbed us even of the dubious consolation prize of being able to someday say to our kids or grandkids, "I've been through worse than you. Just look at all the consecutive losses I've witnessed!" :doh:

But even with the Lawyer Milloy bowl, the Bills have still experienced 13 straight losses to the New England Patriots. There are only seven losses to go to equal 0 for the '70s. Assuming this team continues to lose to New England, how many seasons will it take us to reach those seven losses? The answer is 3.5.

I was at that game. I was living in MA at the time and I went to Buffalo with a bus full of Pats fans. It was easily one of the best sporting events I've ever been to.

We looked invincible out there. Even the Pats post game comments made them sound so confused and defeated, especially Brady. After we beat up on Jacksonville the next week I thought we were on our way. It wasn't until the Monday night loss in Miami that I thought we might be looking down the barrel of some offensive struggles. It hurt to be right, and the struggles continue to this day...

I really can't believe we didn't win a damn thing with Jerry Gray's defense from that era. We had P. Williams, big Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Schobel, Clements, Winfield, Fletcher, Milloy, etc. With even a serviceable offense like the Ravens SB Team we should have been at least making the playoffs.

Ugh...and not only did I have to endure a 6-10 finish but I also had to put up with everyone giving me s*** in MA when they came back and beat us 31-0 in week 17. :rolleyes:

I was at the game as well. Paid 150 for scalped tickets lower level, 14 rows up.

Anyway, through the game the Red Sox were beatin the Yankees soundly. Chants were all around saying "Yankees suck" as this was all the fans had hope in that day. As the Bills game was reaching the point where you knew the Pats were done the Yankees started to come back. By the end of it the Yankees won and the Bills killed them. Loved it.

I was at that game. I was living in MA at the time and I went to Buffalo with a bus full of Pats fans. It was easily one of the best sporting events I've ever been to.

We looked invincible out there. Even the Pats post game comments made them sound so confused and defeated, especially Brady. After we beat up on Jacksonville the next week I thought we were on our way. It wasn't until the Monday night loss in Miami that I thought we might be looking down the barrel of some offensive struggles. It hurt to be right, and the struggles continue to this day...

I really can't believe we didn't win a damn thing with Jerry Gray's defense from that era. We had P. Williams, big Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Schobel, Clements, Winfield, Fletcher, Milloy, etc. With even a serviceable offense like the Ravens SB Team we should have been at least making the playoffs.

Ugh...and not only did I have to endure a 6-10 finish but I also had to put up with everyone giving me s*** in MA when they came back and beat us 31-0 in week 17. :(

IIRC, the following issue of Sports Illustrated had Adams on the cover.

His last season, I think, was with CIN. He wasn't active until several games into the season (he had to "round" into shape :D ).

But when he played, he was his classic self - drew double-teaming, and still cat-quick off the snap.

A long time ago, a poster here described him perfectly..."a pass-rushing linebacker who happens to be built like a rhino".

Awesome game - possibly the best Bills game I've ever attended.

Would have loved to have been there.

My personal best game was the 51-3 drubbing of the Raiders that propelled the Bills to Super Bowl XXV. Never had so much fun at a game since.