Weis may be able to double dip

Beerball

its hard to win anywhere but when your talent pool of recruits is that much smaller then other big time programs because of academic standards it makes it that much harder

half the players at USC and Florida probably couldnt even get into Notre Dame and when it comes down to competing for the other half where would you rather go? Southern California, Florida or South Bend Indiana?

now think about the ones with legit shots at going to the NFL and where do you think most are going?

the fact is its always going to be hard for anyone to recruit at Notre Dame

Spot on. I recall hearing a commentator, ESPN methinks, who remarked that Urban Meyer took the Florida job over ND (which everyone knew was his dream job and life long pursuit) because the commentator opined that at Florida the football coach could get plant life admitted.

Just a few thoughts...

1. There IS a connection between Weiss and the Bills. Remember, after the 2003 season when Gregg was not retained (not fired, as his contract had run out), Weiss was one of the candidates that had interviewed for the head coaching gig in Buffalo. The word at the time was that if the Patriots had lost the AFC Championship game to the Colts, then Weiss would have been Buffalo's head coach. However, the victory coupled with an extra bye week of waiting and the Super Bowl, led the front office to decide that it was better to act quickly on Mularkey than to wait 2 more weeks for Weiss.

2. The NFL and College football are two completely different animals. The successful coaches in college (Pete Carrol, Steve Spurrier to name just two) are successful because of their ability to recruit. Their teams have the best players year after year. Weiss was not a great recruiter at Notre Dame -- and the scholastic requirements to even get into Notre Dame probably disqualified some of the more physically talented players that would have been able to get into places like Miami, Alabama, Florida, and USC. Weiss is, however, a good film study guy and a good professional coach.

Honestly, I want to see more out of Fewell before I even think about who the next HC should be. I will say that this last game was probably the best coached game I have witnessed for a Bills coach in years. Was it just a day where everything fell into place -- or does Fewell really have the right feel and instincts for the game? We have 5 more games to see. If what we saw against Miami is a harbinger for things to come, I think it would be a disservice to both Fewell and the team not to seriously consider him for the head coaching job.

This.