Pro Football Talk....

I've been a PFT fan for a very long time, but Florio's act for the past year has been more Perez Hilton than anything. It's obvious that all of his sources are dried up because the only thing he posts are Glazer and Schefter stories. But it's not just his cut and paste act that is turning me off to the site, it's the fact that he is constantly making up stories where there are none. The TO stuff earlier in the year was ridiculous but this article about Big Ben is nothing short of absurd. He's basically trying to say that Tomlin "might" be grooming Dennis Dixon to replace Big Ben.....HUH!?!?!?. Florio has officially jumped the shark IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-make-on-dixon/

I've been a PFT fan for a very long time, but Florio's act for the past year has been more Perez Hilton than anything. It's obvious that all of his sources are dried up because the only thing he posts are Glazer and Schefter stories. But it's not just his cut and paste act that is turning me off to the site, it's the fact that he is constantly making up stories where there are none. The TO stuff earlier in the year was ridiculous but this article about Big Ben is nothing short of absurd. He's basically trying to say that Tomlin "might" be grooming Dennis Dixon to replace Big Ben.....HUH!?!?!?. Florio has officially jumped the shark IMO.

Welcome to the internet. If you have a keyboard and a slight pulse, you can post whatever you think and attribute it to "inside sources" and someone will bite.

In other words... nothing to see here folks, let's move along.

What the hell is wrong with sports talk today?

It's the same thinking that "Manning only has 2-3 years left... Favre is done..." now it's Big Ben?!

Is he even 30 yet?

Favre is 40 and playing the best football of his career. I would not start trying to replace my star QB until he was 35 or so, with the expectation that the guy I drafted would sit the bench 2-3 seasons and learn from him.

Welcome to the internet. If you have a keyboard and a slight pulse, you can post whatever you think and attribute it to "inside sources" and someone will bite.

In other words... nothing to see here folks, let's move along.

The difference is that the website used to be legit and thats the point, it was never deadspin.

The difference is that the website used to be legit and thats the point, it was never deadspin.

I realize that John, but like I said, in the day and age of "immediate gratification" and "give us dirty laundry" everyone is out to be the first to say "I broke the news first" so they'll throw anything at the wall and see what sticks and whatever does stick, they say, "You heard it here first."

Swing at enough fast balls and sooner or later, they'll connect and brand themselves an "NFL insider."

Deadspin has become a characture of itself and is now more of a "humorous" website for me. I take it all with a grain of salt. It's like the MAD magazine of sports. PFT is quickly become the "Cracked" magazine of football news.

BTW, your avatar (and that kid) is freaking me out... how 'bout an "Awesome Pup" avatar instead? :D

ive said since i joined this board that FLORIO IS AN IDIOT. he has absolutely zero connections. I'd like one example of one time his "hunches" was correct or that his tips from a "source" came out prior to ANYONE else.

he is the worst football "insider" ever because he 1.) has no prior connection to the NFL and 2.) makes wild and stupid accusations and 3.) he reports everyone elses news.

pro football weekly and schefter are the two best "sources" to go to. everyone else, mortensen, etc is a waste....

ok i guess clayton is good.

I like that! Hey Richie, I've got to try!!

Too much information available... I personally have been given a migraine by the tool-bags on 550, two days in a row. I loved this morning, on Thurman's show, Chihuahua might as well have been giving slow-head to Marv and Thurm, while they both defended the late TD, which he and his girlfriend were slamming, as I'm sure most of you heard. Then this afternoon, Schlop comes in and he is right back to his tea-baggin' self, with the glib cracks and their "witty" banter, drawing on every negative they could find.

Schlop, at the point I turned it off, was yelling that the fans were fools, because they were trying to believe in a franchise that screwed them. He was acting like we turned our back on him and his incessant negativity. He had his voice raised, as to try to explain to us, the mentally incompetent, that it was a "meaningless win," and only "hurt us in the draft."

Well, for such an effing genius, he should have known that it didn't lower us in the draft, and if it did....great! Taking a dive for a draft position?? That is asinine. You play to win the game. Period. For a meaningless win, the Ralph sure was rocking, which and the fans were ecstatic on the way to the car, instead of the head-hung-low-walk-of-shame, while some douche fan of the opposition is all giggles, we have been enduring.... There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't a train.

I didn't mean to get of subject, I guess that sports reporting in general has me pissed off. I struggle to find an article or show, with any relevance.

I don't think that it's all that farfetched. Think about it, Roethlisberger is signed thru 2015 and during that time he will be paid 66.55 million dollars. That's an awful big investment for someone who has suffered 3 concussions since 2002. There also has been rumors that there may be some dissension in the lockerroom on how Big Ben announced on short notice that he may not play in Sunday night's game. Granted that this may be due to Tomlin withholding this information but I personally don't think that Roethlisberger is a untouchable when you weigh in all the factors.

Tomlin in the beginning of the year was alluding to changing the offensive identity of the Steelers. Where they have traditionally known for smashmouth football Tomlin wasn't overly concerned with going with a more aggressive passing offense. Tomlin referenced the Patriots as a team who weren't intimidated with going with a wide open aerial attack in a several game stretch. If you look back over the first 6 games of this year it will support this type of mentality. Big Ben threw for TDs and 1887 yards and his year to date is 17 TDs/2867 yards. That's pretty impressive for someone who has had his share of concussions but is also owed a huge contract. If they have a good sense of confidence in Dixon then from a business standpoint Roethlisberger, his future and his contract could be under review.

A former co-worker from Pittsburgh stopped into work the other day and said that the buzz up there in Pittsburgh is that Big Ben wasn't going to play in Sunday night's game and this was long before I read it anywheres on the internet. He further stated that they (Steelers) are considering shutting him down for the season because of their investment and concerns with him and his potential concussion issues. I'd keep an eye on this speculation if he is indeed shut down for the season, this to me would be a very strong indicator on his current and future situation with the Steelers. I'm just passing along what was said and what I heard but I do find it very interesting to say the least.

The article is not about concern over BB's health. It's about Florio's ludicrous theory that Tomlin "might" want to replace BB in the future the same way he replaced Willie Parker. The problem is that Mendenhall was a 1st round pick who fits the mold of past Steelers RB's. Parker is a much smaller back who has never been able to stay healthy and is an average RB.

BB on the other hand is a top tier QB who has 2 Super Bowl rings in 5 years, a winning % over 70% and is only 27. When it comes to once in a lifetime QB's like BB, 66 million dollars is nothing to pay. If anything, the Steelers will probably rip that contract up in a year or two and give him even more.

But again, my point is, where are the facts? The sources? There are none. He's become a mix of Glenn Beck, Perez Hilton and Chris Mortenson.