The market for Travis Henry

Coach Tuesday

Guest Guest_rolly_*

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Henry going to Dallas in the offseason. I see him going there in an attempt to resurrect a pitiful running game. Eddie George is over the hill and Henry could solidify their backfield for years to come.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Henry going to Dallas in the offseason. I see him going there in an attempt to resurrect a pitiful running game. Eddie George is over the hill and Henry could solidify their backfield for years to come.

122997[/snapback]

they drafted a second rounder this year who is hurt now, but who they're allegedly high on. sounds like he's no better and no worse than henry as an option.

the potential attraction for teams in looking at Henry is I think he still has one more season on his contract that is VERY CAP FRIENDLY.

a team looking for a quick fix for cap space...and a long term help at the position would certainly be looking at Henry before signing James, or some of the other players who will require an immediate large dollar bonus.

But that is also a problem, teams know that TH's, salary is low for just one year and then he goes into FA. Do I want to trade a 2nd for a back that could be gone after the season or demand big dollars

Teams will know the pricetag with Henry though.  He's underpaid by NFL standards.  If a team thinks they need a back to get them over the hump, but not cost big bucks, TH is their man.  Think about Indy's situation assuming James leaves.  Team has little cap space, is close to the promised land etc.  TH could be an excellent fit for the Colts. 

We just won't tell them that he won't block and can't catch. :lol:

122784[/snapback]

When does Henry become a free agent? Is a team going to trade for a back that has one year left on a small contract knowing that he will demand big bucks in the near future. Im not sure when he is a fa but I thought it was in 05 or 06.

This may actually be the WORST offseason of the last 10 years to try to obtain value for a running back.  As I count them, the following running backs will be free agents or trade assets, which will no doubt affact the market for TH:

Shaun Alexander (will likely go to Miami)

Rudi Johnson

Ricky Williams (not a FA but will be traded, perhaps to the Raiders)

LaMont Jordan

Anthony Thomas

Edgerrin James

Michael Bennett

It will be tough to land a #2 for Henry with that market...

122773[/snapback]

But there are many teams in need of a RB:

Miami

Oakland

Dallas

Arizona

Philly

TB

Carolina

Houston

I think we will get a mid to late #2 or early #3(50-75 range) for Henry

If the Bills don't get a decent offer before the draft, they'll wait until pre-season when, inevitably, someone will get injured and someone will be desperate for a RB. Happens every year.

The only thing I'd like to add is I don't think Ricky Williams will play next year, even if he wants to. He will have to serve some sort of suspension first so I don't see anybody really going out of their way to make a play for him. I would like to know more about this situation if anybody has any FACTS. I'm just guessing about the suspension thing but it does make sense.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
But there are many teams in need of a RB:

Miami

Oakland

Dallas

Arizona

Philly

TB

Carolina

Houston

I think we will get a mid to late #2 or early #3(50-75 range) for Henry

123169[/snapback]

You can subtract Dallas, Arizona, Houston and Carolina from that list - they already have starters for next year (Julius Jones, Marcel Shipp, Domanick Davis and DeShaun Foster, respectively).

You can subtract TB from that list too - Henry won't fit in a WCO - and for that matter I doubt he'd go to Philly either, as they too like their backs to be able to catch the ball. Miami and Oakland will be the two key players, but TH won't be going to Miami for obvious reasons. That leaves Oakland, which already tried to get LaMont Jordan, has expressed interest in Ricky Williams, and would be a perfect fit for Edge if he doesn't resign with Indy or Miami... again, not a great market. Waiting for an injury might end up being the best option, but it won't give us a 2005 draft pick.

It's called a market because you can play it. Real events will make a difference and if one of the RBs on your list suffers a blow-out injury or even a signficant nick it will lower the supply and possibly increase the demand by 1.

In addition, the Bills will have the advantage that Henry is under contract for one year and the Bills will write the ticket (with their trading partner) for shipping him while as with an FA it is the player who writes the ticket (with thesigning partner).

Many posters seem to falsely assign an absolute worth to a player as though there is some static correlation between his production and his contract but it isn't that way at all.

What the can get for Henry is purely a measure of supply and demand and until the season is over the market is not set yet at all. The original post is helpful as it provides some parameters for the likely supply of RBs, this supply seems to be pretty large (bad for the Bills) but is quite likely to be reduced by circumstance as teams look to lock up the players they have and injuries occur (good for the Bills).

One of the leading indicators for demand is that if nothing else, the NFL is about imitation of what has worked before for others. The NE experience with Corey Dillon strikes me as making it far more likely that teams (Philly is an example) will be looking for an RB with a past history of a Pro Bowl appearance and production who is their one missing piece. Having a personal rep as a me player will not be a disqualifier based on the Dillon experience and because he hasa rep of playing through injury and he has kept his mouth shut this year, Henry does not have that rep even though we who know him snf proffitted from his lack of fiscal management skills can find fault with him.

In the end, I suspect the Bills will make a deal for him and at worst this deal will be of the conditional type which was used to move whathisname as an RB to Detroit after he failed here. The conditional deal strikes me as providing at least a 2nd *and maybe even a 1st for Henry if his play for his new teams meets standards for yardage gained or appearances which he will be unlikely to meet.

You can subtract Dallas, Arizona, Houston and Carolina from that list - they already have starters for next year (Julius Jones, Marcel Shipp, Domanick Davis and DeShaun Foster, respectively).

123192[/snapback]

Jones, Shipp, Foster all injury liabilities that havent proved anything as a back yet, two of them currently in there head coaches dog house.....

Domanick Davis Mr. 2.9 ypc isnt a featured back(although he is very good in the redzone)

These teams will be in the market for a RB....

Guest my dream trade

bills trade bledsoe and henry to dallas for their (our) first round pick.

Or, Bills trade bledsoe and moulds to dallas for their first round pick (ours) and Larry Allen.

bills trade bledsoe and henry to dallas for their (our) first round pick.

Or, Bills trade bledsoe and moulds to dallas for their first round pick (ours) and Larry Allen.

123226[/snapback]

and with that first round pick, hello Braylon Edwards, the next Moss.

Any trade would involve the other working a new extnaded contract. For the reason, and that is more than just the norm, everyone can stop thinking about TH having more value because of this low current salary. He isn't going to play next year without a raise. Mark my words on that.

Corey Dillon fetched a 2nd rounder.  And I doubt many would consider TH to be as capable as Dillon.

122991[/snapback]

Right, but that was the BenGALS. They should have gotten more for Dillon but again were talking about a team that has made bad decisions for the past 15 years. I expect Buffalo to get a #2 for Henry

I would have to disagree with you.  Edge is my fantasy back so i watch him quite frequently.  To be honest, the team doesn't really drop off with D. Rhodes in, in place of Edge.  I don't think colts can or want to pay him top dollar.  I think Miami is very probable.  So he can go back and hang out with his old pals.

122888[/snapback]

Well at least you know this based on fantasy knowledge.

I have been a Colts season ticket holder for 4 years. Trust me their is a huge drop off between Edge and Rhodes. Defenses play a different game. The Colts think pass first when Rhodes is in and so do Defenses. This has hurt the Colts passing attack. The Colts will take care of Harrision prior to the signing period and franchise James. That is the plan.

For what it's worth, a college buddy of mine is an estate attorney in Philly and his firm does some work for a few Eagle's players.  He was told by one of the Olinement that Modrak has already spoken to people in the Eagles organization and that it is very possible that Henry will end up there.

I guess being the odd man out in buffalo might be a good thing.  Play for the train wreck bills or for the dominant eagles.....hard choice.  Again...for what it's worth, which is second hand hearsay.

122882[/snapback]

I don't mind hearing "hear say" stuff at all. It would not surprise me at all if Modrak has spoken to Eagles brass. I suspect he's spoken to other teams as well. It's still early though and lots of things can happen before any trade involving TH takes place, with any team.