FWIW - Jerry Sullivan: Shanahan ain't coming to Buffalo

dave mcbride

I do agree with this statment from Sullivan: "Wilson needs to nudge Brandon aside and do a serious restructuring of his football department".

Looking for a coach prior to addressing the front office situation is illogical. A real football GM with experience at finding and acquiring pro and college talent is needed first. IMO we need a proven GM more than we need a proven head coach.

Given that any accomplished GM would require hiring his own guy as coach as a term of employment, what does the search for a coach now mean? That Mr. Wilson has no intention of revamping the front office or more likely the current search for a new coach is being performed to identify candidates with an interest in the Bills position but we shouldn't expect any hiring of a new head coach until after the season when a new GM is named.

I do agree with this statment from Sullivan: "Wilson needs to nudge Brandon aside and do a serious restructuring of his football department".

Looking for a coach prior to addressing the front office situation is illogical. A real football GM with experience at finding and acquiring pro and college talent is needed first. IMO we need a proven GM more than we need a proven head coach.

Given that any accomplished GM would require hiring his own guy as coach as a term of employment, what does the search for a coach now mean? That Mr. Wilson has no intention of revamping the front office or more likely the current search for a new coach is being performed to identify candidates with an interest in the Bills position but we shouldn't expect any hiring of a new head coach until after the season when a new GM is named.

I don't understand why people think Brandon is some kind of obstruction in the process. Of course he will step aside, not that he did much in the way of personnel decisions. Yes he would sign off on things but he deffered to Guy and Modrak. It's not like he lobbied for players.

And yes the Bills should be looking for a GM first, but to hire the A-listers, you need to offer complete control. So if you want Shannahan or Cowher, you give them full control over everything. I don't think that's a good idea but I know it's the sexy one.

PTR