A few thoughts on all the recent and future madness

Virgil

I admit that it's been hard for me to muster up any kind of emotion around the Bills since week 2. I've just sat back and watched, with no real hope for the future. However, with all that's been going on, there are some things that I would like to comment on. Now, I must say up front, I am shooting from the hip here and giving personal opinion, go ahead and shoot these up with holes, you'll pry win

1) I want Shannahan. If we are willing to pay the money, I really don't understand why so many people believe this to be an improvability. Denver is a beautful place to live, but if he is leaving there, I see a lot of similarities between there and Buffalo. He's used to the weather, we pry have a better fan base, we can give him everything he wants in regards to control. We don't have any one single player that he would have to worry about "addressing." By this I mean, he can pretty much cut or bring in any guy he wants and not really piss off the fans or ownership. (That is a scary statement if you really think about it. Seriously, who is un-replaceable on our team. And before you say POZ, imagine someone else coming in and getting 10 sacks or 5 picks, I think you'd forget real quick) The fact is, I don't think he'd want to coach for Washington cause Synder will get in the way. Dallas is the same situation. After how he got fired, I don't see him wanting that. Cleveland wants Holmgren and there is Cowher out there for other teams also.

Someone else posted Shanahan's record against Billicheat and Parcell's and it was good and the guy just makes great offensive teams. I think he could do amazing things with Beast and Jackson and with a 2 O-Line additions, our D gets instantly better for not being on the field all game. I never was impressed with Cowher as I give a lot of credit to LeBeau. Cowher stuck with Kordell Stewart. I'll always question his sanity for that. As for Holmgren, I just think he might be burnt out. Shanahan could be our guy for a while and I want someone who's proven.

2) Start Brohm. Maybe I'm a Big East guy, but what do we have to lose. I will never pretend to know what happens behind the scenes, I just find it hard to believe that this guy has gotten written off without ever really playing on the field. This guy was a huge prospect out of Louisville until his Senior Season sucked. They call him gunshy and whatnot, but from where, practice? I don't know, but Fitz and Trent aren't the answer. I would love to see what this guy has got. We can be nothing but surprised.

3) POZ. I have his jersey, I love this guy. But I wonder if he doesn't need to slip to outside linebacker. I don't know why, but I feel like we are seeing his best now, regardless of the guys in front of him, and he is not going to ever be a stud. I think we need that captain of the D that Whitner definitely isn't. Again, I love the guy and want him to be awesome, but I just don't get that "Star" feeling from him.

4) The O-Line. This is just bad luck guys. Still think we have a solid core. I liked what Bell did and he and Wood/Levitre are rookies. These guys, with Hartgarder are only gonna get better. We get another Tackle and some depth, please with some Shanahan, and I think we are happy.

5) Ralph - I love what i'm hearing so far and I'm praying you deliver. If he really will shell the money out and is going after these guys, then I apologize. Hey, we all got duped by the 5-1 start last year. I don't know why he kept Dick this offseason or past the bye week, but hey, are any of those coaches panning out right now? They all started out hot, and now the league has caught up with them. In all fairness, I'd rather be looking for a coach this offseason than last.

6) TO - We all saw today what he can do. We also all saw how different this team is with a different Head Coach. He's been quiet all while we've ruined his legacy numbers. Yeah, he brought this situation on himself. But, I would love to have him back next year if we can get a team around him. The man is a stud and I feel back for exposing Trent and DJ on him.

7) Dick Jauron - Isn't it amazing what half a week can do. Yeah, we lost today. Yeah, we made some dumb calls. But yeah, we looked like a much better team. We took shots. There was emotion. TO is apparently on our team. We didn't roll over and die. I can't remember where, but I saw this week how Dick is the kind of coach who just expects professionals to act as professionals and gave the benefit of the doubt. Well, these guys needed a smack in the face. Of course the players loved him, they got away with murder as long as they said they were trying. Perry, I like you, and keep smacking these guys around so we can separate the men from the boys. Hopefully, you aren't sent packing from the team. I would like to see what you got when you aren't on the field all game. But Dick, nice or not, you are not a coach. You suck. You owe me 3 and half years of my life. Go be a guidance councelor somewhere.

8) Jason Peters - We shoulda paid him. Just shut up and admit it.

9) Aaron Maybin - Yes, it's his rookie year and it takes 3 years to yadda yadda yadda. Knowing we could have gotten a starting Tackle instead now seems like a no-brainer. I was all of Maybin getting picked, but that was before I knew he would hold out and I thought that a pass rusher was the missing piece. Hindsight it 20-20, my bad. However, get the guy on the field. This season is a wash and I want to see what he's got. Start him. I don't care if it's at DE or LB, just get him on the field already.

9) Relocation - Did anyone watch the game today or the Chiefs game. Why are we going anywhere when these teams fans can't show up at all. I'm sick of hearing about it. Raise ticket prices if you have to, cause if you do and half of us don't show up, we'll still be 30,000 more strong than these teams.

10) All NFL analysts - F*CK YOU!!! We suck right now. We know it. We lose in painful ways and we haven't made the playoffs in a decade. But we have some of the best fans in the league. We have one of the best owners. Keep bashing us and i'm gonna smack you in the face. I'm so sick of hearing why coaches will not come here because it's a crap city and a crap team. That's why coaches go places you dumb pieces of Sh*t, to fix teams. We have cap space, great fans, and some young players to work with. What team fires a coach after winner the Superbowl? I don't know what the deal is right now, but I'm sick of hearing crap about the Bills from these guys. Stop pretending to know anything about us, and do your job as unbiast reporters. We aren't the Lions, Redskins, Browns, Raiders, or Rams. We have reasons to be in trouble, why can't the Cowboy's score a TD? Let's make fun of the Ravens for having their hearts ripped out almost every game. Seriously, F*ck Off @ssholes.

I'm sure i'm going to edit and add as I remember things, but it's all I got

I say give Brohm the last 3-4 games if he is able to pick up the scheme. As suggested in the other thread, assess the best tackles in the UFL and sign them for the remainder of the season. Sure, it's the minor league minus the Lackawanna Lions, but how many of the lineman that have suited up for the Bills this year would make a dent on the Tuskers or Locos?

Drop the Poz to OLB talk. He isn't quick enough to make a difference when unimpeded in the middle, so how is he going to man up on a big athletic end or explode off the edge? The thought of him being enveloped by real NFL tackles, as opposed to the pseudo variety the Bills trot out, puts no steam in my step.

The Whitner discussion has been exhausted. You lose nothing with Wilson or Byrd replacing him.

The Peters discussion has been exhausted. He wanted more money than the Bills would pony up and frankly more money than he was worth. The fact that he deliberately half-assed his play is grounds enough for dismissal, particularly when your job is to protect the most vital position on the squad. He's good, but the business decision to deal him was sound. The lack of foresight regarding genuine replacements for him was purely amateur night on the part of the administration.

TO was an interesting experiment. He still has it. My limited visual perspective has made it difficult to see what others testify to saying: that he is open most of the game. I'd like him back, but obviously he won't. At this juncture, would he be amenable to being part of a salvage operation where baring the quickest turnaround (ala Falcons and Dolphins), he'd suffer through another couple of disappointing seasons before the Bills could be relevant (assuming they ever will be relevant). How much would you pay for his services, knowing that he wouldn't be a bargain and that you still have to evaluate several younger guys. Assuming Terrell buys into the prospect of staying because of low wear and tear practice regimen and club sanctioned space to build the TO brand, does the new regime want him around? Will the new regime be more physically demanding and thus less palatable for a 36 year old aging receiver? Will there even be a new regime or do us as Bills lemmings just repeat the phrase "when the new regime comes..."and nod to each other to assuage the pain?

I say give Brohm the last 3-4 games if he is able to pick up the scheme. As suggested in the other thread, assess the best tackles in the UFL and sign them for the remainder of the season. Sure, it's the minor league minus the Lackawanna Lions, but how many of the lineman that have suited up for the Bills this year would make a dent on the Tuskers or Locos?

Drop the Poz to OLB talk. He isn't quick enough to make a difference when unimpeded in the middle, so how is he going to man up on a big athletic end or explode off the edge? The thought of him being enveloped by real NFL tackles, as opposed to the pseudo variety the Bills trot out, puts no steam in my step.

The Whitner discussion has been exhausted. You lose nothing with Wilson or Byrd replacing him.

The Peters discussion has been exhausted. He wanted more money than the Bills would pony up and frankly more money than he was worth. The fact that he deliberately half-assed his play is grounds enough for dismissal, particularly when your job is to protect the most vital position on the squad. He's good, but the business decision to deal him was sound. The lack of foresight regarding genuine replacements for him was purely amateur night on the part of the administration.

Here's my question. Don't OLB's require less speed that MLB's? I thought that was the case, hence the suggestion. Even if not, it's not the speed for me that is the issue, I just don't think he has the "it" factor to be the face of our D. Even with that, I still think he should be on the field, and OLB was just my suggestion.

I admit that it's been hard for me to muster up any kind of emotion around the Bills since week 2. I've just sat back and watched, with no real hope for the future. However, with all that's been going on, there are some things that I would like to comment on. Now, I must say up front, I am shooting from the hip here and giving personal opinion, go ahead and shoot these up with holes, you'll pry win

1) I want Shannahan. If we are willing to pay the money, I really don't understand why so many people believe this to be an improvability. Denver is a beautful place to live, but if he is leaving there, I see a lot of similarities between there and Buffalo. He's used to the weather, we pry have a better fan base, we can give him everything he wants in regards to control. We don't have any one single player that he would have to worry about "addressing." By this I mean, he can pretty much cut or bring in any guy he wants and not really piss off the fans or ownership. (That is a scary statement if you really think about it. Seriously, who is un-replaceable on our team. And before you say POZ, imagine someone else coming in and getting 10 sacks or 5 picks, I think you'd forget real quick) The fact is, I don't think he'd want to coach for Washington cause Synder will get in the way. Dallas is the same situation. After how he got fired, I don't see him wanting that. Cleveland wants Holmgren and there is Cowher out there for other teams also.

Someone else posted Shanahan's record against Billicheat and Parcell's and it was good and the guy just makes great offensive teams. I think he could do amazing things with Beast and Jackson and with a 2 O-Line additions, our D gets instantly better for not being on the field all game. I never was impressed with Cowher as I give a lot of credit to LeBeau. Cowher stuck with Kordell Stewart. I'll always question his sanity for that. As for Holmgren, I just think he might be burnt out. Shanahan could be our guy for a while and I want someone who's proven.

2) Start Brohm. Maybe I'm a Big East guy, but what do we have to lose. I will never pretend to know what happens behind the scenes, I just find it hard to believe that this guy has gotten written off without ever really playing on the field. This guy was a huge prospect out of Louisville until his Senior Season sucked. They call him gunshy and whatnot, but from where, practice? I don't know, but Fitz and Trent aren't the answer. I would love to see what this guy has got. We can be nothing but surprised.

3) POZ. I have his jersey, I love this guy. But I wonder if he doesn't need to slip to outside linebacker. I don't know why, but I feel like we are seeing his best now, regardless of the guys in front of him, and he is not going to ever be a stud. I think we need that captain of the D that Whitner definitely isn't. Again, I love the guy and want him to be awesome, but I just don't get that "Star" feeling from him.

4) The O-Line. This is just bad luck guys. Still think we have a solid core. I liked what Bell did and he and Wood/Levitre are rookies. These guys, with Hartgarder are only gonna get better. We get another Tackle and some depth, please with some Shanahan, and I think we are happy.

5) Ralph - I love what i'm hearing so far and I'm praying you deliver. If he really will shell the money out and is going after these guys, then I apologize. Hey, we all got duped by the 5-1 start last year. I don't know why he kept Dick this offseason or past the bye week, but hey, are any of those coaches panning out right now? They all started out hot, and now the league has caught up with them. In all fairness, I'd rather be looking for a coach this offseason than last.

6) TO - We all saw today what he can do. We also all saw how different this team is with a different Head Coach. He's been quiet all while we've ruined his legacy numbers. Yeah, he brought this situation on himself. But, I would love to have him back next year if we can get a team around him. The man is a stud and I feel back for exposing Trent and DJ on him.

7) Dick Jauron - Isn't it amazing what half a week can do. Yeah, we lost today. Yeah, we made some dumb calls. But yeah, we looked like a much better team. We took shots. There was emotion. TO is apparently on our team. We didn't roll over and die. I can't remember where, but I saw this week how Dick is the kind of coach who just expects professionals to act as professionals and gave the benefit of the doubt. Well, these guys needed a smack in the face. Of course the players loved him, they got away with murder as long as they said they were trying. Perry, I like you, and keep smacking these guys around so we can separate the men from the boys. Hopefully, you aren't sent packing from the team. I would like to see what you got when you aren't on the field all game. But Dick, nice or not, you are not a coach. You suck. You owe me 3 and half years of my life. Go be a guidance councelor somewhere.

:unsure:

God, it just feels better with him NOT being on the sideline. It was one of the worst times in my life. The guy just sucked the life out of this team, and any hope I had for them.

9) Relocation - Did anyone watch the game today or the Chiefs game. Why are we going anywhere when these teams fans can't show up at all. I'm sick of hearing about it. Raise ticket prices if you have to, cause if you do and half of us don't show up, we'll still be 30,000 more strong than these teams.

10) All NFL analysts - F*CK YOU!!! We suck right now. We know it. We lose in painful ways and we haven't made the playoffs in a decade. But we have some of the best fans in the league. We have one of the best owners. Keep bashing us and i'm gonna smack you in the face. I'm so sick of hearing why coaches will not come here because it's a crap city and a crap team. That's why coaches go places you dumb pieces of Sh*t, to fix teams. We have cap space, great fans, and some young players to work with. What team fires a coach after winner the Superbowl? I don't know what the deal is right now, but I'm sick of hearing crap about the Bills from these guys. Stop pretending to know anything about us, and do your job as unbiast reporters. We aren't the Lions, Redskins, Browns, Raiders, or Rams. We have reasons to be in trouble, why can't the Cowboy's score a TD? Let's make fun of the Ravens for having their hearts ripped out almost every game. Seriously, F*ck Off @ssholes.

I hear you loud and clear. I can remember when Saban left the Dolphins to be the HC of Bama. The amount of BS that spouted from the pundits, analysts, and other 'sports' people was terrible. They bashed Saban, they bashed the school, and some were even bashing the Tuscaloosa area. One AJC columnist referred to Bama as the third best program in the state (behind Auburn and Troy). But guess who is laughing now?

Now that dead Dick is gone, let the rebirth begin. Let those f***tards laugh and bash. Looks like Ralph is serious about turning this franchise around. And those f***tards are going to look really stupid when the Bills start winning again.

You know who will have the last laugh? We will.

The Bills are coming back. And those !@#$s are just going to have to deal with it.

9) Aaron Maybin - Yes, it's his rookie year and it takes 3 years to yadda yadda yadda. Knowing we could have gotten a starting Tackle instead now seems like a no-brainer. I was all of Maybin getting picked, but that was before I knew he would hold out and I thought that a pass rusher was the missing piece. Hindsight it 20-20, my bad. However, get the guy on the field. This season is a wash and I want to see what he's got. Start him. I don't care if it's at DE or LB, just get him on the field already.

Too long, although I agree with a lot of your points. But I will say this to a few of your points: 2) Brohm can *not* start now. He will have had a week and a half to prepare and he would be behind the worst line in all of football. That's an absolute recipe for disaster. 3) Poz is too slow to play OLB, IMO. He'd have to cover more on the outside, and I don't think that plays to his strengths. For better or worse, I think he's an MLB. Just not an elite one. 4) I actually agree with most of that except for Bell. I'm not sold on him from what I've seen, and we have no real depth. I liked the signing of Jamon Meredith, and between him and Bell SOMEONE should be a serviceable LT, but maybe not. But Levitre/Hangartner/Wood/Butler seems solid enough to me. The new regime has to decide whether to go with Bell, Meredith, or seek out an LT in draft. I still wish we had gotten Orlando Pace when he was available - he didn't look all that bad tonight against Philly. 8) I will neither shut up nor admit anything. But this is already being discussed (and obviously has been at great lengths): http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=102039. 9(a?)) I think Maybin is getting a lot of playing time. He's just not very good. But I agree that we have to see what he's made of. Otherwise we still need a DE. 9(b?)) Saw the Chiefs highlights and from what I could see it was full, but it was hard to tell. Nobody goes to Jacksonville games. I think the Oakland game was blacked out too, and I know the Chargers are having a very difficult time selling out. We might be a "small-market" team, but don't let that be confused with attendance.

I agree with so much of this. I've been reading this board for months and today is the first day I got excited enough to bother even developing an opinion about the Bills. We are not great right now, true. however all these posts I've been reading about wanting to blow the whole team up and start over from scratch are totally unhelpful. Today showed there is life in this team, life that can hopefully be developed into something competitive. TO killed it, Poz did well enough, we more or less stopped the run and Fitz had the sand to throw forward. If not for a couple penalties, left over from the terrible coaching of the DJ years, we would have won. There are seeds of something exciting in place here. Now the seeds may not explode into playoff worthy awesome trees (I'm losing the metaphor here) but we are seeing there is a football team here.

This year is over, we all know it. However today showed we have the elements of competitive football.