The REAL Day Football Died

truth on hold

On February 4, 1993, after the Bills had appeared in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager. Polian wasn't fired because he wasn't doing a good job, he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself.

In his closing press conference, Bill Polian said of the team that he built, "They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

On February 4, 1993, after the Bills had appeared in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager. Polian wasn't fired because he wasn't doing a good job, he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself.

In his closing press conference, Bill Polian said of the team that he built, "They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

bull ****. We will see their like, and we will win the SuperBowl. What the ?!?!?!?!?

Man, go see the shrink.

The darkest day in Bills history right there. Ralphs biggest mistake too. We have been paying for that screw up for 16 years now.

bull ****. We will see their like, and we will win the SuperBowl. What the ?!?!?!?!?

Man, go see the shrink.

No kidding, It's a little troubling and pathetic how Bill's fans take on the persona of a football team. Why doesn't everybody stop feeling so insecure because they can't get players to come here or because we never won a Superbowl. People should start to realize that Buffalonians in general work extremely hard and are good people and screw the football team and players who don't want to be here. Maybe the football team should start being more like the people of Buffalo than the people of Buffalo hanging their heads all the time as if they have any say in the outcome of a game. The days of the Electric Co. are gone. Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Smith are no longer. You're cheering for laundry now and if Shanahan doesn't want to come to Buffalo either and is holding out for a better job elsewhere screw him too. There are 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world and there was a day when it would be a honor to be offered any one of them. Now we have coaches acting like the players and holding out for more money and thumbing their noses at some cities. It's all really sad.

You maybe on to something there. However, we seemed to keep the ship afloat up until January 2000 when the miralce throwback play occured against Tennessee in our last playoff apperance. To me, there really was not a more painful loss of a football game for our beloved Buffalo Bills.

100% in agreement, no one can argue any different....Polian was the Best in an has prove he can do it with other franchises. Nuff said..

You maybe on to something there. However, we seemed to keep the ship afloat up until January 2000 when the miralce throwback play occured against Tennessee in our last playoff apperance. To me, there really was not a more painful loss of a football game for our beloved Buffalo Bills.

still riding fumes from the team he built. and we never sniffed a super bowl 1 year after he left. and what happened where he went? turned a horrible colts team into super bowl champion and perrenial power house

and you call yourself a fan. It was forward, not back...

still riding fumes from the team he built. and we never sniffed a super bowl 1 year after he left. and what happened where he went? turned a horrible colts team into super bowl champion and perrenial power house

Horrible? They weren't great, but they also weren't too far removed from the Captain Comeback days. I am not trying to take too much away from Polian, but let's not overstate his case.

and you call yourself a fan. It was forward, not back...

In reality, we don't know- everybody saw it different, replay was completely inconclusive and a mathematician tried to solve it. To be honest, it isn't that important a decade later

Horrible? They weren't great, but they also weren't too far removed from the Captain Comeback days. I am not trying to take too much away from Polian, but let's not overstate his case.

My memory was that they were pretty horrible. I met a family of Indy people on vacation in August of '98 and we talked about how bad the Colts were, and how the Bills had that incredible (from my viewpoint, not theirs) comeback win the year before...........But, I said I think you have good things to look forward to because you just hired Bill Polian, and they agreed. They were very happy about that. I bet they are even happier now.

He should be a Hall of Famer.

Bill Polian arrives

On December 21, 1997, the Colts lost to the Vikings and finishing the season 3-13. The very next day, Bill Polian was hired as President to try and turn the team around. Polian was General Manager of the Buffalo Bills from 1986-1993.

As the Colts GM and President, Polian opted not to keep QB Jim Harbaugh, who had led the team to the AFC Championship game following the 1995 season. Instead, he decided to build through the draft as the Colts would have the number 1 overall pick for 1998, and 2 of the most hyped quarterbacks would be coming out of college (Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning). Polian chose Manning.