I don't think we will be screwed

jahnyc

We will be screwed if we maintain the status quo. We need some new blood at the GM level to come in and figure out how to fix things. We would also need to give that person the power to make whatever changes are necessary, including hiring/firing coaches (including MM) and player cuts (including TD's draft picks and free agen acquisitions). I believe that any strong GM candidate would insist on the foregoing as a precondition to accepting the position.

I also think that we should play Losman now to get a sense of whether he can be our franchise qb. I know that he will need time to develop, but we should not wait three years to figure out whether he is the guy.

I understand that it is unlikely that RW will fire TD after the season, and more unlikely that MM's status will be reviewed. But I think this is a mistake. We can't just sit around and hope that things will get better. TD has had four years, and there is already concern that next year will be a tough season as JP goes through growing pains. MM may become a good coach, but he is making some odd personnel decisions (cutting Shaw and sticking with Bledsoe) and game decisions (punting from the 35 last week, poor clock management against the Cards and the JP/Mathews situation last week). I am starting to have doubts about him as well.

This offseason, we need action. Unfortunately, it is, for the most part, out of our hands. All of this falls squarely on the shoulders of RW.

We will be screwed if we maintain the status quo.  We need some new blood at the GM level to come in and figure out how to fix things.  We would also need to give that person the power to make whatever changes are necessary, including hiring/firing coaches (including MM) and player cuts (including TD's draft picks and free agen acquisitions).  I believe that any strong GM candidate would insist on the foregoing as a precondition to accepting the position. 

I also think that we should play Losman now to get a sense of whether he can be our franchise qb.  I know that he will need time to develop, but we should not wait three years to figure out whether he is the guy.

I understand that it is unlikely that RW will fire TD after the season, and more unlikely that MM's status will be reviewed.  But I think this is a mistake.  We can't just sit around and hope that things will get better.  TD has had four years, and there is already concern that next year will be a tough season as JP goes through growing pains.  MM may become a good coach, but he is making some odd personnel decisions (cutting Shaw and sticking with Bledsoe) and game decisions (punting from the 35 last week, poor clock management against the Cards and the JP/Mathews situation last week).  I am starting to have doubts about him as well.

This offseason, we need action.  Unfortunately, it is, for the most part, out of our hands.  All of this falls squarely on the shoulders of RW.

121606[/snapback]

Dude understand reality for a minute. TD = making RW MONEY. He isn't going anywhere. MM = 5 year contract that RW would have to pay 4 years of for firing him. MM and TD are here to stay at least 3 more seasons. And things will continue on as they have.

And things will continue on as they have.

121618[/snapback]

ICE - i think this is an overstatement given that Mularky is a first year HC and was inheriting a team that was alleged to be on the brink of greatness.

I think it is now aparant to all of us that we are looking at a rebuilding project on offence around 3 new 'stars' in JPL, LE, and WM - that will entail a rebuilding of the OL and a new philosophy to fit the players we have. We clearly have issues on D too - with some of our core of talent getting near the end of their contracts/playing careers.

In a way I am pleased that we ought to have FO consistency particularly on the coaching staff over the next 3 years. What this should help us with is the fact that MM can start to be more involved with the personnel choices - tooling the team with the right players to fit in with what we currently have and where we want to go... On the D side we have to find a way to maintain the quality while we wait for the O to catch up...

I know its a frustration - but I expect that we will not see acvceptable results (AFC Championship level) for another 2 years... and I am now resigned to that thought. :doh: Its not that we'll continue at the same level - but that the development we are likely to see will probably take longer to come to fruition that me may have hoped...

ICE - i think this is an overstatement given that Mularky is a first year HC and was inheriting a team that was alleged to be on the brink of greatness.

I think it is now aparant to all of us that we are looking at a rebuilding project on offence around 3 new 'stars' in JPL, LE, and WM - that will entail a rebuilding of the OL and a new philosophy to fit the players we have. We clearly have issues on D too - with some of our core of talent getting near the end of their contracts/playing careers.

In a way I am pleased that we ought to have FO consistency particularly on the coaching staff over the next 3 years. What this should help us with is the fact that MM can start to be more involved with the personnel choices - tooling the team with the right players to fit in with what we currently have and where we want to go... On the D side we have to find a way to maintain the quality while we wait for the O to catch up...

I know its a frustration - but I expect that we will not see acvceptable results (AFC Championship level) for another 2 years... and I am now resigned to that thought.  :doh:

121660[/snapback]

Nick you better expand that timeline. 2 to get the offense going....which is about the time we start losing Defensive players. So again it swings back to always being a step behind on either O ro D. TD can never get the stevestojan together AT THE SAME TIME.

Nick you better expand that timeline. 2 to get the offense going....which is about the time we start losing Defensive players. So again it swings back to always being a step behind on either O ro D.  TD can never get the stevestojan together AT THE SAME TIME.

121663[/snapback]

2 years is fine to get there. beyond may take a year or two longer.

NFL is so even nowadays you are only one step from greatness at any time.

I always wonder about the comments that RW is most concerned about making money. The guy is in his 80s and I think he wants to win now. I am sure he is very comfortable financially and his heirs will be well taken care of. He may appreciate TD in the role of president, but I would hope that RW will take a hard look at the on the field football product.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the thing that has been hard for me to understand is RW's aversion to paying big money for a head coach since he regularly pays huge sums to the players in signing bonuses. He also seems to have issues about firing coaches and being on the hook for the remaining comp. I never understood why he went after Wade after he was fired.