qualified coaches

ishouldbegm

I think you hit it with Russ Grimm....not that I like it, but he is more the ilk Ralph likes to bring in...an almost heard of him

Look Grimm may be the best canidate anybody has mentioned on this board. He was the o-line and associate head coach in the last 2 super bowls. Coached under Cowher for a few years, was a winner as a player, played on one of the best lines ever, has done a great job in AZ with Wizenhut, I would take him over any college coach.

Whoever thinks Urban Meyer would be a good NFL coach in Buffalo is an idiot. The spread option won't work here.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bills have failed picking a hot coordinator how many times in a row now?

Which stems from an inability to pick the right GM. If the Bills hire a good football czar, I'd be fine with him bringing in a coordinator to succeed Jauron. The Falcons and Dolphins are two recent examples of teams that added great football men in Thomas Dimitroff and Bill Parcells, who hired Mike Smith and Tony Sparano, respectively.

i dont want any coordinators only people who have been head coaches

Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Paul Holmgren

Marty Schottenheimer

Mike Shanahan

Bob Stoops

Mike Leach

Jim Harbaugh

those are the only guys i could picture winning a SB

Please NO college coaches...unless its Kirk Ferentz or Urban Meyer. (I like Mike Leach...but he wouldn't cut it in the NFL)

Jim Harbaugh has done more with less in a shorter amount of time. His brother is also coaching in the NFL which will help no doubt. Also has his fathers brain to pick. Has done a great job developing QBs too...

If its not Jim Harbaugh, the only other college coach I would like is Les Miles - LSU, he is the anti-juaron - think Rex Ryan but better. He works in a pro system too. Stoops and Leach no thanks.

The HOF coaches you named are acceptable too, but I would like to go with Harbaugh, and bring in some former NFL HCs to be OC/DC.

For the trifecta, As I and others have pointed out, the team would do well to hire a real GM or football czar before hiring a head coach. That said, Jim Harbaugh should get some consideration. I don't know what his buyout at Stanford would be but he's earmarked for an NFL Head Coaching job. In fact Harbaugh was interviewed for the job which eventually went to Rex Ryan, with the Jets.

This is an impressive set of credentials for a young coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

My nephew attended the University of San Diego during the 3 years that Harbaugh was coach. Harbaugh completely turned the program around. I think they won one game the year before he arrived. After starting out 7-4 in his first season, San Diego ran off two consecutive 11-1 seasons. In the process he developed quarterback Josh Johnson who Tampa Bay made a 2nd round pick last year. He is an excellent offensive mind and teacher of quarterbacks. If anyone could "coach up" Trent Edwards, it would be Jim Harbaugh.

In 2007, Harbaugh's first year at Stanford, his unranked team beat #1 ranked USC 24-23. USC entered the game as 41 point favorites making the Stanford win, statistically the greatest upset in college football history. Stanford, a perennial bottom dweller in the Pac Ten is currently ranked at #14 in the latest AP poll.

This year he again beat USC, 55-21 (last weekend).

Harbaugh has twice turned college programs around in one season. He was an excellent former NFL quarterback and he did his apprenticeship as an NFL assistant coach. His Dad is a longtime football coach and of course his brother John is head coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

This is just about as good as it gets for a guy without NFL head coaching experience.

another name for the hell of it, defensive coordinator I am thinking...

Jeff Fitzgerald, current Cincinnati Bengals linebacker coach...

Baltimore Ravens linebacker coach 2004-2007

Also linebacker coach in Arizona and Washington prior to going to the Ravens.

how does it work with front office people? can only hire if their contract runs out?

get rid of Modrak... Dale Strahm is the Director of College Scouting for the Houston Texans.

What about Bill Callahan? He took the Raidahs to the Super Bowl a few years back. Now he's an assistant for the Jets I think? Don't know much about him, but he did win an AFC West tittle.

If memory serves, Callahan was a lousy head coach who was simply the product of an insanely talented Raiders team. After flaming out in Year 2 with Oakland, he was fired and then went on to fail miserably as Nebraska's head coach.

If memory serves, Callahan was a lousy head coach who was simply the product of an insanely talented Raiders team. After flaming out in Year 2 with Oakland, he was fired and then went on to fail miserably as Nebraska's head coach.

Please explain. How could be lousy and have his team win the AFC tittle? Could Dick Jauron have taken that team to the Super Bowl? I'm just curious why he's lousy that's all. There has to be a reason. Exactly what did he do that was so bad?

It's ridiculous to speculate on a coach when you know a GM is coming in as well. Let's say Cowher comes in as GM and hires Grimm as HC with Haslett as DC and the OC of your choice. You still reaching for the barf bag? I'd be pretty OK with that.

Words could not express how happy that scenario, would make me. :rolleyes: