DOM vs MARTY

I have explained to you 3 times how Clemenson had better stats then Marty. The defense was playing a lot better then in the past two seasons. Guys like Greene, Odyua, and Mottau were playing a lot better then in the past 3 seasons. The whole team including the offense played a lot better then in the past 3 seasons. Zack Parise emerged as a 40 goal a year guy while vets like Elias and Langenbruner bounced back after sub par seasons.

The Devils in 2008-2009 were a much better team then in 2007-2008. In the 2007-2008 season guys like Mottau and Odyua were still struggling (Andy Greene was also still very raw) and the offense was struggling mightily (As mentioned Elias and Langenbruner were having off years and Zajack and Parise weren't elite guys yet). I mean the Sabers this year are a lot better this season then last right?

Marty's ability to stay healthy and play 70 plus games a season is another reason for his being the greatest ever. The guy stays on the ice you can't deny value in that. I mean hasek was a ticking time bomb for injury and each year the Sabers season rested on it, while Marty year in and year out was a work horse.

Also when I say Marty's ability to salvage off nights was another reason for his value its merely stating that the guy salvages many points in the standings by finishing strong almost every game. So I am going to take the guy who you know is going to stay healthy year in and year out and a guy who is going to be much more constant and more of a battler in his bad games over a guy whose peak greatness are slightly better but struggles to stay healthy and has an inconsistent streak.

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. We both watched/watch these guys play night in and night out and I have a lot of respect for Hasek but what Marty has shown post lockout to me has shown that he isn't the product of a system and didn't need HOF defensemen and a defensive era to play Vezna caliber like hockey in fact all of that in his mid to late 30's.

In '08-'09 playing with the EXACT SAME DEFENSE in front of them, Scott had a 2.39 with a 0.917 and Marty had a 2.41 with a 0.916. Whether the defense was crud or cream in '07 or 3 seasons ago doesn't make a hill of difference. Marty is the product of the Devils system, sorry to burst your bubble. I would expect the greatest player the world has ever seen should be able to outplay a career AHLer even when coming off an arm injury. Maybe not.

As you suggest, we will have to agree to disagree. I can't believe this thread has been on the main board this long anyhow.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In '08-'09 playing with the EXACT SAME DEFENSE in front of them, Scott had a 2.39 with a 0.917 and Marty had a 2.41 with a 0.916. Whether the defense was crud or cream in '07 or 3 seasons ago doesn't make a hill of difference. Marty is the product of the Devils system, sorry to burst your bubble. I would expect the greatest player the world has ever seen should be able to outplay a career AHLer even when coming off an arm injury. Maybe not.

As you suggest, we will have to agree to disagree. I can't believe this thread has been on the main board this long anyhow.

While it was the exact same players it wasn't the same caliber defense. In 2007-2008 guys like Mottau, Greene, and Odyua had only been in the league for a year and change they were still very raw and undeveloped and the Devils had a coach (Brent Sutter) who was trying to implement a new style of play to the team. Also in 2007-2008 one of the top 2 defensemen Colin White was struggling with injuries. So while the names were the same the disparity in terms of production was drastic.

By 2008-2009 those same guys had another full season of experience in the league and were much better. Had Marty played that whole year he would have had 45 plus wins a sub 2.2 GAA and another Vezna trophy under his belt. Scott Clemenson got bailed out a lot by the Devils offense and the defense.

So while I see your point of Hasek being a better goalie (As I have stated I disagree) BUT I think that Clemenson's performance last season just doesn't prove that the Devils propped up Mary the prior 3 seasons when they were started undrafted free agents and late round picks in front of him.