TSO - Night Castle review

duey

After years of talking about it, TSO has finally released their much-anticipated Night Castle CD. I got it in the mail yesterday and have listened to it through a couple of times. I have to say...I'm pretty disappointed.

I'm a huge TSO fan (I'll listen to the Christmas songs year round LOL) so I've been very much looking forward to this release. There are some songs that definitely standout as classic TSO, but there are others that seem flat. The songs tell another big story, but IMHO it just lacks the punch and emotion of past albums. Sometimes it takes more than a few listens for me to really get into an album, but I'm definitely feeling disappointed right now. What are some other thoughts out there?

I'm also curious as to what this years tour will be like. Given that this new CD tells a big story I have to believe that they'll be devoting at least half the show to the new material. I won't be seeing TSO this year (first miss in five years...daughter is performing in a performance of the Nutcracker <_< ) so I'll be relying on my fellow Wallers to fill me in.

After years of talking about it, TSO has finally released their much-anticipated Night Castle CD. I got it in the mail yesterday and have listened to it through a couple of times. I have to say...I'm pretty disappointed.

I'm a huge TSO fan (I'll listen to the Christmas songs year round LOL) so I've been very much looking forward to this release. There are some songs that definitely standout as classic TSO, but there are others that seem flat. The songs tell another big story, but IMHO it just lacks the punch and emotion of past albums. Sometimes it takes more than a few listens for me to really get into an album, but I'm definitely feeling disappointed right now. What are some other thoughts out there?

I'm also curious as to what this years tour will be like. Given that this new CD tells a big story I have to believe that they'll be devoting at least half the show to the new material. I won't be seeing TSO this year (first miss in five years...daughter is performing in a performance of the Nutcracker <_< ) so I'll be relying on my fellow Wallers to fill me in.

Duey, going to see them Thursday night here in Richmond. Will let you know what I think Friday morning.Only going as so many of you on here have a man crush on them, figure how bad can it be? Must say I have never even heard their material, but looking forward to the concert. My kids are going, and they are excited to...little early for Christmas music..but eh..few Winter Lagers before i go in should put me in the mood.

BTW, for Pooj or anyone else from Richmond, can you confirm they serve beer during the concerts at the Coliseum?

THX

Duey, going to see them Thursday night here in Richmond. Will let you know what I think Friday morning.Only going as so many of you on here have a man crush on them, figure how bad can it be? Must say I have never even heard their material, but looking forward to the concert. My kids are going, and they are excited to...little early for Christmas music..but eh..few Winter Lagers before i go in should put me in the mood.

BTW, for Pooj or anyone else from Richmond, can you confirm they serve beer during the concerts at the Coliseum?

THX

They're a great show. I've seen them eight times and am still disappointed that I can't see them this year. I'm just a bit down on the new stuff. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the show. Enjoy!

i would think they do, i haven't been to a concert at the coliseum in years, REM/Donna the Buffalo on the Monster tour. I know during CAA tourney games they used to have a designated spot in the basement, but that is due more to NCAA. Pretty sure they served beer during a WWE event I went to....pretty sure you will be able to get yer drink on during the show, however I would make sure to hit Legends before hand for a couple Brown's or Pilseners...just to be on the safe side

THX

I'm also curious as to what this years tour will be like. Given that this new CD tells a big story I have to believe that they'll be devoting at least half the show to the new material. I won't be seeing TSO this year (first miss in five years...daughter is performing in a performance of the Nutcracker :censored: ) so I'll be relying on my fellow Wallers to fill me in.

Will do ... my son asked to go last year a week before the show, so we sat 2nd row from the top in the 300s ... this year I pre-ordered and got 3rd row seats ... we are stoked!

I've only listened to the first CD once -- but I was pretty disappointed that they ripped off a Savatage song -- no changes at all from the original! That was rather weak, IMHO... (for those who don't know, TSO was a side-project for Savatage, but it became such a commercial hit that they have apparently given up on the original band... :worthy: ).

Can't wait to go myself -- 4th row, dead center on November 14th! :censored:

I've only listened to the first CD once -- but I was pretty disappointed that they ripped off a Savatage song -- no changes at all from the original! That was rather weak, IMHO... (for those who don't know, TSO was a side-project for Savatage, but it became such a commercial hit that they have apparently given up on the original band... :censored: ).

Can't wait to go myself -- 4th row, dead center on November 14th! :devil:

I didn't know about the Savatage link until they played Hall of the Mountain King ... the Christmas set is okay, but I loved the 2nd set where they play all the classical music.

you mean you missed the marquis outside of the coliseum, or you missed all of the tv, radio and mainstream newspapers trumpeting an event of this magnitude? Sadly, unless you are a religious follower of Style Weekly, you miss alot in this town..did you know tomorrow and saturday is the urbanna oyster festival? i just found out today...on facebook :cry:

How did I miss seeing that they were going to be "literally" across the street from my office building tonight???? HOW??? I am so bummed. Ah well, there's always next year, right?

you mean you missed the marquis outside of the coliseum, or you missed all of the tv, radio and mainstream newspapers trumpeting an event of this magnitude? Sadly, unless you are a religious follower of Style Weekly, you miss alot in this town..did you know tomorrow and saturday is the urbanna oyster festival? i just found out today...on facebook :cry:

I am so pissed I am missing that this year..that is some good times!!!

In terms of TSO, let me say first I was really not familiar with them or material.

Having said that, my impressions were mixed. Some of the quicker tunes with the cool lasers and snow falling from the ceiling was actually quite cool, and the kids and I enjoyed it immensely. At other points in the show though, it just felt they were trying to hard to go outside what I thought their strength. In short, think it prolly would have been a good idea to really listen to their music before going to the concert. Think this is one of those shows where you either really, really like them....or you don't.

One caution I would make, we took our kids with us..and they were just going into the 2nd half(according to them) of the show featuring music from their new album and we already close to an 1.40 in..at which point we had to leave.

BTW Pooj, I must give props to the Richmond Coliseum for serving 28oz Browns for $8.00..they also had Jomo ale on tap...good beer for such a lousy venue!!

I can't actually read or write Pooj... :cry:

i hope you didn't mis-understand my post...it wasn't directed at anything to do with you...it was completely against the way entertainment is advertised in this town...there is so much that goes on here, but the mainstream media rarely lets you know...style weekly is the best place for entertainment news....btw, there is no marquis at the coliseum.

and for someone who can't read or write, you certainly get lucky when typing.... :cry:

I can't actually read or write Pooj... :cry: