pro style offense

zazie

Leach will eventually get an NFL gig. I hope it's with the Bills because, to paraphrase one of Marv's and Leach's favorite quotes, "Those who do not learn from WEO's mistakes, are condemned to repeat them."

Great read, thanks.

I think Leach would make a GREAT offensive coordinator. The thing is, will he ever leave college as a head coach to become someone with a lesser role in the NFL? I don't know. But that seems like the best fit for him.

This is true, unless this position evolves in the NFL as well. If a guy like Tebow or Locker (who are both great runners) come into the league, I think you can use the option. There have been guys in the past that could run like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Michael Vick, and Steve McNair (in his earlier days). I think it's a possibility. QB's don't HAVE TO be slow and fragile. This is just the type of guy teams are recruiting in this NFL era... the pocket passer QB.

I hate the fact that money has changed the game so much. You can barely touch the QB anymore without drawing a penalty or getting a big fine from the league. You also don't see guys like Hester or McGee returning kickoffs as much because they are "paid too much" to do that. That's weak. Just play football.

In the NFL, QBs need to be able to pass the ball. If you want somebody to run back there, you'd put your running back at QB the way Miami does. There's no way to have an effective pro offense without making big plays and the vast majority of big plays (plays over 20 yds) in NFL games come via the passing game. It's a nice bonus if your QB can run, but great passing QBs that can run (ie. Steve Young) are VERY rare. QBs that can run and are only so-so passers are a dime a dozen (e.g. Vick, McNair, Vince Young, Cunningham, Flutie, etc.), but you don't win championships with them. Most QBs stop trying to run once they figure out how to make big plays in the passing game anyway so their career can last a few years.

I agree, and conversely teams need to build their personnel based on schemes they would like to run. Using New England as an example once again, they have an intelligent QB in Brady, some excellent wide outs in Moss and Welker, and Faulk and Watson have good pass catching ability as well. These guys aren't known for their running game. They use lots of short passes to supplant the running game. It is absolutely a spread offense, and Belichick took the time to sit down with Leach and Meyer and learn the intricacies of this offense to bring it to the NFL. This game is evolving every year, and the Bills are slow to catch on. We tried the west coast offense, but that didn't work for us. And it needs to be built around a high quality QB.

The Bills need to figure out their identity on offense. Are we a power running team, or are we a passing oriented team? Well, we have Lynch and Jackson at the RB position and we have Evans and Owens at the WR position. And we don't have a dominant QB. It looks to me like we're confused. We have big time threats in the backfield, but no line to block for them and no creative plays to get these guys in the endzone. We have big time WR's, but no big armed QB to get them the ball. We either need to find ourselves a big time QB and develop a passing game with our big threats or we need to trade away a guy like Owens or Evans and develop the running game.

I think it all starts with a coach that has a plan and philosophy in mind, and develops his team and his plays around it. If we get that coach in here, we can start to evolve.

It's interesting that you agree with me and then make the exact opposite point. Obviously, it's a matter of perspective, but good coaching is getting the most out of what you have (as Bum Phillips used to say about Don Shula- "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n"). People that jettison players because "they don't fit their system" or draft less talented players higher because they do don't know what they're doing.

It's interesting that you agree with me and then make the exact opposite point. Obviously, it's a matter of perspective, but good coaching is getting the most out of what you have (as Bum Phillips used to say about Don Shula- "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n"). People that jettison players because "they don't fit their system" or draft less talented players higher because they do don't know what they're doing.

Haha, yeah so this is what I mean...

You're right that as a coach you need to get the most of what you have. And we're not finding ways to do that, especially offensively.

My other point is that when you have time to put a team together (which in Dick's case is 4 years), you need to build your team around a philosophy. So in 2006 when Jauron came in, he should have said THIS is my team and THIS is our strength. And then take that team and develop it around a certain style of play. We didn't do that (outside of Dick's need to bring in lots of DB's and small linebackers). We just filled different positions with what we perceived to be better players.

Here we are 4 years later and the offense still has no identity. And most times looks flat out confused on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
My other point is that when you have time to put a team together (which in Dick's case is 4 years), you need to build your team around a philosophy. So in 2006 when Jauron came in, he should have said THIS is my team and THIS is our strength. And then take that team and develop it around a certain style of play. We didn't do that (outside of Dick's need to bring in lots of DB's and small linebackers). We just filled different positions with what we perceived to be better players.

Here we are 4 years later and the offense still has no identity. And most times looks flat out confused on the field.

You're right. Jauron has a definite philosophy on defense and it shows. Even though I don't agree with it, you can see it from the types of players they acquire and it's moderately effective. On offense, there's no recognizable philosophy. They chance every couple of years. He's not an offensive coordinator so he should've gotten someone with a track record of success and let them run things cart blanche. It didn't happen.