DeSean Jackson v. James Hardy

sharper802

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me it is pretty easy to compare 62 catches to 9.

I am in no way giving up or saying Hardy is a bust yet. But is it ridiculous to say Jackson is not the better player.

I hope 2009 is not a completely lost year but it is likely the Bills will decide to place Hardy on IR in the next couple of weeks in favor of a slow white TE. Even with Roscoe on the outs the team likes Johnson and Jenkins on gameday.

When they drafted Hardy I was hoping for Plexico without the gun charges. At this point I would settle for a couple of decent Chris Burkett years. Unfortunately he probably has a good chance to be as bad as Detroit's Mike Williams.

Just curious - was Kevin Everett a 'bust'? I guess, because he tore up his knee on the first day of his first minicamp, struggled back on special teams the following season, then nearly broke his neck in a career-ending freak accident the first game of the next season, some would define him as a 'bust'.

For me, the defnition of a 'bust' is player who, after a few seasons, obviously is never going to play up to expectations folks had for him - i.e., Mike Williams, J.P. Losman, Ashton Youboty, Trent Edwards, etc. I don't define a guy who had a few starts, got hurt at the end of his rookie season, and has yet to play a game this season as a 'bust', since he really hasn't had the opportunity to show whether he's going to be All Pro, or suck out loud.

Just sayin'.

Just curious - was Kevin Everett a 'bust'? I guess, because he tore up his knee on the first day of his first minicamp, struggled back on special teams the following season, then nearly broke his neck in a career-ending freak accident the first game of the next season, some would define him as a 'bust'.

For me, the defnition of a 'bust' is player who, after a few seasons, obviously is never going to play up to expectations folks had for him - i.e., Mike Williams, J.P. Losman, Ashton Youboty, Trent Edwards, etc. I don't define a guy who had a few starts, got hurt at the end of his rookie season, and has yet to play a game this season as a 'bust', since he really hasn't had the opportunity to show whether he's going to be All Pro, or suck out loud.

Just sayin'.

Unfortunately, Kevin Everett was a bust. His production didn't match the expectations. It is sad what happened to him and it's sad what happened to Kijana Carter, David Pollack, Steve Emtman, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, and many more. See, what you got to understand, is that a bust label is based on production level only. The truth is that Hardy had a very good size sample of play his rookie season. James Hardy started only 3 games last season but he played in 14.

If you recall the Bills were very thin at WR and tried very hard to get Hardy involved. He was targeted frequently early on and looked bad often. He struggled to get in and out of his routes and his quickness was inadequate, to be kind. These things were expected and even part of the deal when he was drafted. What I think caught the Bills and fans off guard was that he was getting beat physically. The guy couldn't get off the line. He couldn't beat 5'10 corners on jump balls. Hell, he often couldn't even get a finger on the ball. I don't know how anyone who watched him over that stretch could walk away with anything but concern. The Bills certainly took note because his playing time quickly diminished.

With all that being said, how can anyone feel comfortable with where he could possibly be at after such a substantial amount of time off? His 2 TDs were nice but does it really wash away the rest of his play? My bust concerns have little to do with stats. In fact Steve Johnson has virtually identical stats and I think he has all the potential in the world. Charles Rogers was a tall WR who had nice size/speed measurables. His problems were similar to Hardy's in terms of physical play and route running. Injuries and lack of focus caused him to have an an extremely dissapointing career. IMO, Hardy is farther behind than Rogers and he as already shown maturity issues.

On a final note, Desean Jackson might be better than any of our recievers. Let alone Hardy. Flame Away! :worthy:

goodness he hasn't even played this year! are you really posing this? gosh...

bills fans (or at least half of the people on this blog) are some of the most impatient dumba$$es I have ever seen. TONs of great receivers did nothing until their 3 or 4th season. See Eric Moulds... let alone a guy like Hardy who hasn't even been on the field yet. Plus, DeSean Jackson has a great QB and is the only good WR on that team - the opposite is true here with TO and Lee in front of him...

Hardy, Stevie Johnson, Reed and Lee will be a good 4 wrs for next season. hopefully Nelson comes back healthy, because the kid has talent and looked great in game 1. if we get a qb or have a qb that decides to utilize them we'd be much better off a year from now.

Seems to me it is pretty easy to compare 62 catches to 9.

I am in no way giving up or saying Hardy is a bust yet. But is it ridiculous to say Jackson is not the better player.

I hope 2009 is not a completely lost year but it is likely the Bills will decide to place Hardy on IR in the next couple of weeks in favor of a slow white TE. Even with Roscoe on the outs the team likes Johnson and Jenkins on gameday.

When they drafted Hardy I was hoping for Plexico without the gun charges. At this point I would settle for a couple of decent Chris Burkett years. Unfortunately he probably has a good chance to be as bad as Detroit's Mike Williams.

yes it is ridiculous because you are basing stats that have no statistical relationship to each other because there is no comparable sample size.

Just sayin'.

Some of your bust comparisons are also guys with 3 seasons on the team picked in the 3rd round. If you don't consider Everett a bust than you cannot say Youbouty or Edwards are busts.

In fact, they all are!!!

Just sayin'

Isn't it a little early to make final comparisons.....I mean. SERIOUSLY

It is a bit early, but so far Hardy has been injury-plagued and has not been very noticeable the few games that he actually started.

That being said, other than a good marketing move, I think Owens is keeping some of our really good WR prospects on the bench such as Steve Johnson and I would like to see if Hardy can justify his selection now that I believe he is healthy again.

I would be surprised if the front office tries to resign Owens, and I would have to think he would be happy to get out of here.

Just sayin'.

Fair enough, I consider a player a bust based on where he was picked in the draft and what he has done. Period. Many players have been thought as busts and really didn't do much because of injury, they are still busts.

Did you guys see the route that Jackson ran on that long TD last week? That was a thing of beauty and he does that often.

My point exactly. They chose a height measurement over talent. Hmmmm Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Hines Ward.... Not exactly tree toppers but all ProBowl WR's (as much as it pains me to list Welker and Ward)

I have welker