Here's a question for you

With the Bledsoe era coming to a quick close I've got a question regarding the offensive identity of this team.

Last night when Losman came in the playcalling changed instantly. I believe the second or third play was a rollout. I know with Drew at the helm the Bills have used a lot of two TE and max protect sets. With Losman inevitably taking over the reigns, how much will this offense evolve? I would think we'd see a lot less max protect and even less of the two TE set.

Any of you offensive gods want to venture a guess?

With the Bledsoe era coming to a quick close I've got a question regarding the offensive identity of this team.

Last night when Losman came in the playcalling changed instantly.  I believe the second or third play was a rollout.  I know with Drew at the helm the Bills have used a lot of two TE and max protect sets.  With Losman inevitably taking over the reigns, how much will this offense evolve?  I would think we'd see a lot less max protect and even less of the two TE set.

118947[/snapback]

they might actually use plays where the WR's run more than 5 yard button hooks short of the first down marker.

Bledsoe has no confidence to throw farther downfield than that

118947[/snapback]

i'll take a stab at this, as i consider myself to be godlike and many have called me offensive :D

the play calling will not change noticably with JP in there. given our offensive line (and yes their play can be quite offensive), the coaches will keep a max protect scheme as they will not want to expose our top 5 pick qb (what JP will end up equating to) to the pounding he will take, especially on a healing leg. and no, he will not turn the season around. in fact, he will prolly suck if thrown into the fire too soon

I think the max protect approach is still a good idea for a young qb getting his feet wet. Give him one or two reads down field and a possible outlet route underneath with a back and you give him a good chance to succeed. The mobility should allow for a rolling pocket to mask some inefficiencies of the O-line. Of course a steady dose of running plays doesn't hurt either. It really depends on the personnell you keep, and right now we are better with 2 WR's on the field than 3 or 4, so we might as well utilize an extra TE or keep the FB in.

they might actually use plays where the WR's run more than 5 yard button hooks short of the first down marker.

Bledsoe has no confidence to throw farther downfield than that

118966[/snapback]

C'mon, he looked plenty confident throwing that long interception into double coverage. Just chucked it right down there without a second look. That's confidence. :D

I actually believe that the offense will change.

The Oline knows right now that if they make one mistake, the play is blown up, because Bledsoe can't get out of his own way. That's the reason for max protect.

With a more mobile QB, the offense might be freed a bit to move away from max protect scheme.

Mularkey and Clemments did all kinds of things with K. Stewart at QB. Hopefully JP will be a better overall player than Stewart, but he does have good mobility like Kordell.

Isn't a "max protect" scheme telegraphing the defense to play short coverage, based on the fact that TE's (certainly the Bill's crop) are neither frequent targets or speed daemons? That short, closer coverage tends to hurt an offense's run game.

And to me, it seems to be an admission - "I can't fully play the game, because I am playing a slow/dumb/inexperienced QB", so I give up the initiative and bow to you, the defensive team.

I don't have statistics to back this up, but just from watching games every week it seems to me Indy runs more 2 TE sets than anyone in the league.

Manning isn't very mobile, but he has amazing decision making and a very quick release.

That said, I don't think the max protect fits JP very much. He is NOT a pocket passer. He seems to WANT to run out on most plays. Having 2 TE's blocking is IMO a waste of recievers. The more recievers we have on the field, the better the chances one of them gets open after JP starts running around. More of a Vikings/Eagles philosophy.