FSU-UNC Dick Jauron reference

DDD

Anyone else hear the Dick Jauron reference during the FSU-UNC game on ESPN thursday night? Chris Fowler was talking about UNC offensive coordinator (John Shoop) who apparently was also the offensive coordinator in Detroit when Jauron was head coach. The story goes that during a thanksgiving game Jauron told Shoop he wanted to be home eating thanksgiving dinner by 5pm. From that point, Shoop didn't call one passing play the rest of the game. True story as told by Chris Fowler and Craig James.

I'm sure one of you guys could research that particular game. I think Jauron was interim coach only for a year. I can only hope the Lions were getting blown out or winning big.

I call bull on this story. These are the final plays of the Lions in that game.

Detroit Lions at 06:56

1-10-DET 36

(6:56) J.Garcia pass to S.Bryson pushed ob at DET 45 for 9 yards (D.Williams). PENALTY on DET-R.DeMulling, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DET 36 - No Play.

1-20-DET 26

(6:25) (Shotgun) J.Garcia pass incomplete to R.Williams.

2-20-DET 26

(6:20) (Shotgun) J.Garcia pass to M.Williams ran ob at DET 45 for 19 yards.

3-1-DET 45

(5:53) S.Bryson up the middle to DET 47 for 2 yards (D.Williams).

1-10-DET 47

(5:23) J.Garcia pass incomplete to M.Pollard.

2-10-DET 47

(5:18) (Shotgun) J.Garcia pass to R.Williams to ATL 33 for 20 yards (B.Scott; K.Carpenter).

1-10-ATL 33

(4:48) (No Huddle) J.Garcia pass to C.Rogers to ATL 29 for 4 yards (A.Rossum).

2-6-ATL 29

(4:18) (No Huddle) J.Garcia pass incomplete to M.Pollard.

3-6-ATL 29

(4:14) (Shotgun) J.Garcia right end to ATL 24 for 5 yards (B.Scott).

4-1-ATL 24

(3:29) J.Garcia pass incomplete to C.Schlesinger (P.Kerney).

Atlanta Falcons at 03:24

1-10-ATL 24

(3:24) T.Duckett left tackle to ATL 28 for 4 yards (N.Wayne).

Timeout #1 by DET at 03:16.

2-6-ATL 28

(3:16) M.Schaub right end to ATL 36 for 8 yards (J.DeVries).

1-10-ATL 36

(2:29) T.Duckett right tackle to ATL 40 for 4 yards (W.Rainer).

Timeout #2 by DET at 02:21.

2-6-ATL 40

(2:21) T.Duckett left tackle to ATL 42 for 2 yards (S.Rogers). FUMBLES (S.Rogers), RECOVERED by DET-J.DeVries at ATL 44. J.DeVries to ATL 44 for no gain (E.Beverly).

Detroit Lions at 02:14

1-10-ATL 44

(2:14) (Shotgun) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to S.Bryson.

2-10-ATL 44

(2:06) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to C.Fitzsimmons.

3-10-ATL 44

(2:03) D.Orlovsky pass to S.Vines pushed ob at ATL 30 for 14 yards (J.Webster).

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-ATL 30

(1:59) (Shotgun) D.Orlovsky pass to R.Williams to ATL 26 for 4 yards (D.Williams).

2-6-ATL 26

(1:33) (No Huddle) D.Orlovsky pass to M.Williams to ATL 19 for 7 yards (J.Webster; A.Rossum).

1-10-ATL 19

(1:08) (No Huddle) PENALTY on DET-D.Woody, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 19 - No Play.

1-15-ATL 24

(1:06) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to C.Rogers.

2-15-ATL 24

(1:03) (Shotgun) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to C.Rogers (J.Webster).

3-15-ATL 24

(:56) D.Orlovsky pass to S.Bryson to ATL 26 for -2 yards (K.Brooking; A.Rossum).

Timeout #3 by DET at 00:42.

4-17-ATL 26

(:42) (Shotgun) D.Orlovsky pass to M.Williams to ATL 6 for 20 yards (K.Carpenter). PENALTY on ATL-K.Carpenter, Defensive Delay of Game, 3 yards, enforced at ATL 6.

1-3-ATL 3

(:28) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to C.Rogers (K.Carpenter).

2-3-ATL 3

(:25) D.Orlovsky pass incomplete to C.Fitzsimmons.

3-3-ATL 3

(:21) D.Orlovsky sacked at ATL 4 for -1 yards (R.Coleman). FUMBLES (R.Coleman), RECOVERED by ATL-D.Williams at ATL 6. D.Williams to ATL 6 for no gain (D.Orlovsky).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2005112400/2...post-playbyplay

Anyone else hear the Dick Jauron reference during the FSU-UNC game on ESPN thursday night? Chris Fowler was talking about UNC offensive coordinator (John Shoop) who apparently was also the offensive coordinator in Detroit when Jauron was head coach. The story goes that during a thanksgiving game Jauron told Shoop he wanted to be home eating thanksgiving dinner by 5pm. From that point, Shoop didn't call one passing play the rest of the game. True story as told by Chris Fowler and Craig James.

I'm sure one of you guys could research that particular game. I think Jauron was interim coach only for a year. In any event, I'm wondering if the Lions were getting blown out or winning big?

I would have loved to see dickey get all agitated and squarely if the OC had started an aerial assault, going for the win.

I call bull on this story. These are the final plays of the Lions in that game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2005112400/2...post-playbyplay

You are the man. Atlanta 27 Detroit 7. Nice to know Jauron quit so he could get home to eat his turkey. And be ready for black friday. On that note, every monday seems like a black monday with jauron coaching.

Looking online, it appears that Shoop was OC for the Bears, not the Lions. Let's see if we can find a Bears Thanksgiving game.

Keep researching DC Mom. Fowler said Shoop was the OC, Jauron was coach, and the game was on thanksgivig.

You are the man. Atlanta 27 Detroit 7. Nice to know Jauron quit so he could get home to eat his turkey. And be ready for black friday. On that note, every monday seems like a black monday with jauron coaching.

The final plays were all passes in that game... but again, Shoop was not his OC then.

It looks like the only Thanksgiving game where Jauron was head coach and Shoop was OC was 1999 against the Lions. Let's see if we can find the stats.

You know what, they didn't say if it was Detroit or Chicago. My bad. It probably was Chicago.

If it was when Jauron was the head coach of the Bears, then it was the 1999 game, which Detroit won 21-17. And Chicago was the visiting team, meaning regardless of how fast the game ended, they would still have to fly back to Chicago. There would be no way they would be home eating dinner by 5pm.

The Bears did finish 6-10 that year.

I'm sure one of you guys could research that particular game. I think Jauron was interim coach only for a year. I can only hope the Lions were getting blown out or winning big.

Everyone likes Dickie Boy. In this case, his family for being home to eat turkey by 5. He's so swell.

If it was when Jauron was the head coach of the Bears, then it was the 1999 game, which Detroit won 21-17. And Chicago was the visiting team, meaning regardless of how fast the game ended, they would still have to fly back to Chicago. There would be no way they would be home eating dinner by 5pm.

The Bears did finish 6-10 that year.

The dinner was at Ralphs Detroit area mansion.