Would someone please explain to me

Ralonzo

How it's possible in wind-affected games to be heading into the wind in BOTH the 2nd and 4th quarter when game altering kicks might be made? Is everyone chicken to answer the question as to why Jauron wants to do that??

Simple.

We won the opening coin flip and deferred the option for the second half. The Jets now get the choice of receiving or wind. They chose receiving. We chose wind in the first quarter (presumably to get momentum at the start of the game). After halftime, we now have the choice to take the ball or the wind. Obviously, we choose to take the ball. Jets choose wind, and get the wind for the 4th quarter. After halftime, Jauron could have chosen to kick off to the Jets and taken the wind. That would have been a stupid decision, IMO, and should only be used under extreme circumstances (like the NE game last year). Make sense?

Simple.

We won the opening coin flip and deferred the option for the second half. The Jets now get the choice of receiving or wind. They chose receiving. We chose wind in the first quarter (presumably to get momentum at the start of the game). After halftime, we now have the choice to take the ball or the wind. Obviously, we choose to take the ball. Jets choose wind, and get the wind for the 4th quarter. After halftime, Jauron could have chosen to kick off to the Jets and taken the wind. That would have been a stupid decision, IMO, and should only be used under extreme circumstances (like the NE game last year). Make sense?

Yep, it makes sense, although I don't necessarily agree with the strategy to take the wind immediately to get momentum. In the 2nd Q and 4th Q you have 2-minute drills, half-ending & game-ending field goal attempts and hail-mary passes and whatnot. To me, I dunno, I think it's more advantageous in those kind of games to have the wind at the end of the half - i.e. Lindell maybe doesn't miss that FG at the end of regulation otherwise.

I also think that if the Bills had won the toss and taken the ball first they would have lost. Neither team had a QB well equipped to push the ball downfield into that wind, and the FG kickers would have had it rough too. The Bills, in Jauronic fashion, actually ended up winning because they lost :w00t:

Yep, it makes sense, although I don't necessarily agree with the strategy to take the wind immediately to get momentum. In the 2nd Q and 4th Q you have 2-minute drills, half-ending & game-ending field goal attempts and hail-mary passes and whatnot. To me, I dunno, I think it's more advantageous in those kind of games to have the wind at the end of the half - i.e. Lindell maybe doesn't miss that FG at the end of regulation otherwise.

I also think that if the Bills had won the toss and taken the ball first they would have lost. Neither team had a QB well equipped to push the ball downfield into that wind, and the FG kickers would have had it rough too. The Bills, in Jauronic fashion, actually ended up winning because they lost :w00t:

I'm not sure how much "into" and "against" the wind there was yesterday -- passes and kicks looked miserable both directions. The Jets missed a kick "with" the wind at the end of the first half yesterday...

I wasn't there, but I thought it looked pretty gusty/swirly from the TV.

I'm thinking it was windier than it appeared on TV... every time the ref had his mic on, all you could hear was the wind.

I agree it was windy - but was it straight in one direction, or was it swirly like RWS?

Hard to tell :w00t: