961 Rushing Yards Against in Four Games

K-9

Two words: SCOUTING and COACHING. P-Fool coaches his system, but he doesn't have the right players to succeed with it. That's not to say his defense is talentless, because it is not. They just can't play his Tampa -2 style.

Number one, you need a stud MLB and a stud strong safety - Poz looks good, but is injured every year. Whitner is a bust at strong safety. Next, you better have D-Lineman that can shoot their gaps and pressure the QB and shut down the run in the back field at least some of the time. Williams and Stroud seem to be jelling nicley together, but they are simply not good enough without better support from MLB and strong safety. Finally, you are supposed to have at least one if not two great pass rushing DE's since the OLB'ers are used more in pass coverage then blitzing like in the 3-4. Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel? :worthy::thumbsup: Finally, you need CB's that can hit and play great zone defense at the same time. It looks like the Bills CB's have a ton of talent, and this kid Byrd could be one of the steals of the draft at FS. Unfortunately, none of them support the run game worth a buffalo chip. In addition, against good QB's, they tend to get burned in their zone coverages, especially on third downs.

So you add all of that up, and we come back to the same conclusion. Ralph needs to blow the whole thing up again. He needs better coaches working with better college and pro scouts, that is, working together to bring the right players in for the right systems!

BINGO! Nice Post...

Of COURSE I see the correlation. Always have. My point is, BECAUSE of that correlation, nobody should be pointing to our pass defense ranking as anything important. It's a hollow statistic. Teams that get run on a lot TYPICALLY rank up there in pass defense.

Our 6 INTs today, notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

Teams have tried to pass on us and failed. A lot. This includes Brady's Pats* and Brees' Saints.

They've had fair success running, but given the utter ineptitude of the offense, the run D, for the most part (today excluded), looks a lot worse at the end of the day statistically because how badly the D is tanked by the 4th quarter (because the offense can't stay on the field).

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: THE D IS NOT THE PROBLEM

Of COURSE I see the correlation. Always have. My point is, BECAUSE of that correlation, nobody should be pointing to our pass defense ranking as anything important. It's a hollow statistic. Teams that get run on a lot TYPICALLY rank up there in pass defense.

Our 6 INTs today, notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

Kinda like in 2006 when the Bills ranked top 10 in pass defense while yielding 140 rushing YPG. People talked up the secondary and completely ignored the fact teams didn't pass versus Buffalo. No one threw for 300+ yards and that was also highlighted.

The same issues which beat the Bills in 2006 are hurting the team this year. As nice as it is to win, the big picture is that the run defense hasn't improved one iota since Day 1 of the DJ era.

Teams have tried to pass on us and failed. A lot. This includes Brady's Pats* and Brees' Saints.

They've had fair success running, but given the utter ineptitude of the offense, the run D, for the most part (today excluded), looks a lot worse at the end of the day statistically because how badly the D is tanked by the 4th quarter (because the offense can't stay on the field).

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: THE D IS NOT THE PROBLEM

Our run D is most definately the problem. Your point about tired defenses in the 4th quarter is a valid one. But it's not like these teams have gotten their yards in the 4th quarter. We're getting our ass kicked from the get go. And the revolving door of players inserted at the LB position is the biggest reason why. Our LBs are TERRIBLE in pursuit (they over-do it), contain (they always over-commit), and strength (they are constantly getting owned by OLmen, TEs, RBs, and the occasional WR who blocks). Now the DL shares a bit of responsibillity for not keeping OLmen off them at times but our front four has been more than holding it's own in that regard.

GO BILLS!!!