Replay is ruining college football

KD in CA

It's just awful....both the Texas game and now the ND game, they stop every five minutes to review absolutely everything.

They haven't missed a call yet in the ND-USC game and yet here we are again, refs running in a half-second before the ball is snapped to replay the last play. And surprise, surprise....."the ruling on the field stands."

I would rather have the occasional blown call than this nonsense. Or at the minimum, put in an NFL style challenge system.

NCAA ------> :devil: as usual.

Never mind the endless raining of yellow flags. Taylor Mays -- 15 yards for hitting Allen, who had BOTH FEET IN BOUNDS at the time of the hit.

And it would be nice if the game announcers would at least call the bullsh-- when they see it.

It's irritating when this kind of crap irritates me more than ND's inability to field a defense. :devil:

Go watch a live college game where instant replay is not in use. It's great. The game moves along so well. When a call is made,you may B word and boo for about 30 seconds and then the next play starts and you move on. You forget about it. I'd much rather put up with the human element of an occasional blown call than the halting pace and general hair-splitting,complaining environment that comes with instant replay.

It's just awful....both the Texas game and now the ND game, they stop every five minutes to review absolutely everything.

They haven't missed a call yet in the ND-USC game and yet here we are again, refs running in a half-second before the ball is snapped to replay the last play. And surprise, surprise....."the ruling on the field stands."

I would rather have the occasional blown call than this nonsense. Or at the minimum, put in an NFL style challenge system.

NCAA ------> :thumbsup: as usual.

I can't speak for the UT-OU game, didn't see it, but it seemed like in the ND-USC game, the majority of replays did occur on scoring plays. Isn't that what it's there for? I hear you though, reviewing the spot at the 40-yard line or a short catch at midfield can be tedious. But every play DOES matter, just some more than others. If they're making sure TD's are legit TD's, on close plays, it's hard to argue that they're using the system correctly. The one single objective every time is to get the call right.

I think a hybrid of the pro and college would be best...Institute a challenge system so there's not four reviews on every drive, but have a "video referee" in the booth so the on-field ref just puts on a headset and listens to the verdict. The ref running 75 yards over to the hood (standing 3 feet away from thousands of drunk fans) to watch a little TV just seems so ridiculous in the NFL.

I can't speak for the UT-OU game, didn't see it, but it seemed like in the ND-USC game, the majority of replays did occur on scoring plays. Isn't that what it's there for? I hear you though, reviewing the spot at the 40-yard line or a short catch at midfield can be tedious. But every play DOES matter, just some more than others. If they're making sure TD's are legit TD's, on close plays, it's hard to argue that they're using the system correctly. The one single objective every time is to get the call right.

But that can't be the one single objective if you ruin the game in the process. If you take away all flow of the game, than you might as well just have a punt, pass and kick contest. Some of those plays in the ND game had nothing ambiguous happen (specifically Golden Tate's long TD).

If we're really going with the 'every call must be right' theory, than why have officials at all? Why not have every single play reviewed for the spot, catch, penalties, etc., and the replay guys radio down to the spotter on the field. It's not any more fair if a guy gets away with a hold on a TD play than if a WR traps the ball, right?

Human judgment and error is part of sports; on the part of the players and the officials. Thinking we can 'review' away that element entirely is pure folly. The way you improve the process is by holding officials accountable for poor performance.

I think a hybrid of the pro and college would be best...Institute a challenge system so there's not four reviews on every drive, but have a "video referee" in the booth so the on-field ref just puts on a headset and listens to the verdict.

I could live with an NFL type challenge system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.