Let's Be Honest...the Bills have only had one good decade.

Tarrytown

I have been avoiding that sad reality for almost a decade now (or pretty much since Kelly retired).

To be fair, lets not forget the old AFL Bills who won it all in, what...'64 and '65? Then the league merged, and the Bills were still strong for a few years.

But history does not lie. The Bills have been perhaps one of the most futile NFL squads since their inception. Unfortunately, that does speak volumes about Wilson. Sometimes I wonder if he currently is not atleast partially walking down Al Davis lane. The decisions made are weak, feeble, security-blanket-type of decisions; they lack confidence, a DIRECTION, or plan for winning and improving, etc. Sometimes I think that Wilson is just making the bare minimum decisions so as to not upset the apple cart and risk fielding a team so horrendous that should something happen to him, it would dramatically alter the value of the team when it would come up for sale. Almost an extreme avoidance of gambling on putting all of your eggs in 1 basket of a GM whom may or not build a winner. How else can you explain these "safe" (keeping Jauron, Modrak, Guy) decisions?

Now, I sincerely hope that this is not the case. But a part of me thinks that maybe in Ralph's mind, given his history as owner of the Bills, that maybe his current thinking is something akin to buying a life insurance policy. To me, its always a grim topic. But it is inevitable. Ralph is a businessman. Has always been. Could he be looking at keeping things average and mediocre in the event of his demise it would make for an easier sale and therefore be less of a burden on a family that has already said they want nothing to do with the team?

Just thinking out loud...

If the Bill shave had only one good decade ..and you can simply write off the successes of this team in 60's then by your reasoning... the Jets have had zero good decades and the Patriots have had one, the 2000's. The Fins have had two with marginally better years than we had in between.

Facts are the 80's weren't so bad when Knox stepped in. The Bills of the 90's were one of the most dominant teams ever. Few franchises have had that wit the Steelers, 'boys, Packers, Raiders, Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs (60's) quickly come to mind. The Colts have had great teams with Manning and Johnny U but hardly dominating over a decade.

Many teams hope to have a good year or two, let alone a decade just ask the Browns, Lions, Houston, etc....

Why doesn't anyone in the national media just come out and say what they think...that Ralph Wilson is a horrible owner...we have had more horrible seasons than winning seasons...Jim Kelly (after a two year holdout) came here and turned things around...but that wasn't because Wilson was an amazing owner, but rather because he lucked out by hiring Bill Polian.

Sure we won twice in the AFL...but after 50 years we deserve much better.

I am so sick and tired of hearing about the four super bowl appearances...we freaking lost them...that is not something to hang your hat on...just ask the Vikings...or the Broncos...fans are sick and tired of "past glory" and poor freaking management.

But we still buy the tickets...the gear and we are still affraid that they will leave to LA...

It sucks to be a Bills fan right now...I wish I could change...but I love my team...and I will watch them and hope they get killed against the jets in the hopes that DICK will get fired.

There is nothing wrong with being optimitic. As long as the team doesn't move, it will get better.

I think that the Bills had many great years, it is just easy to look at the team the last 10 years and see them suck and say that there has been a lot to complain about.

Losing sucks, but the team moving is worse.

maybe, but it gets "less worse" every year.

The fact that 40 out of 50 years of the Bills was horrible.

No Actually they were very good for about 22 of the 50 years. Both Saban years eary 60's and then again the OJ - Ferguson years 72-76,

Chuck knox years Early to mid 80's

Bill Polian years.

I agree with the point that you are trying to make though. Effective leadership at the top has been missing.